1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What event occurred around the time you joined Clutchfans?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Marteen, Sep 1, 2013.

1. corby

corby Contributing Member

Year of the Yao

2. Mprice

Mprice Member

The Harden trade,

3. Rock3t Man

Rock3t Man Contributing Member

Though my "member since date" doesn't show it, I joined when the rockets resigned Francis.

Had to get a new account for basketball reasons.

4. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

let me google it

5. stthomsfinest

stthomsfinest Member

I had been lurking for a while. I think I first stumbled upon ClutchFans when looking for Houston Rockets related wallpapers of Yao/Steve/Cat. Didn't join til Nov 2007 and that was around the time the Rockets had a huge offseason signing Steve Francis, Mike James and drafting AB and Francis was getting all these DNP-CDs.

6. sydmill

sydmill Member

I went to college and got something better than dial up.

7. craguin

craguin Member

Rockets select Yao Ming (June 26, 2002)
    Join Date: 08-20-2002 - I've been a fan though since the Sampson/Olajuwon era
    Rockets sign Yao Ming (Oct 21, 2002)

8. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Nothing big happened for the Rockets when I joined. It was right after our great team started falling apart. we replaced Ron Artest with Ariza and announced him as the future of the team. That's where it all went down hill.

I really joined because my friend B Cash from marketing told me about the site and I didnt want to seem like a bad rockets fan, so I acted like I knew about the site all along. I immediately joined the site but didnt start posting frequently until about a year or two ago.

9. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Getting Barkley.

1 person likes this.
  10. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Someone at an old ESPN rockets message board mentioned this place so I came to check it out. That was around the time of the 2000 NBA draft (Jason Collier!) ... then I signed up in September.

What's really mind-blowing is that Clutchcity.net is basically where the internet started for me. I had used the web some on our dial-up connection for a couple of years as a jr. high aged kid, but starting with finding this site I used it more and more and it has dominated my web surfing time ever since.

11. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Eesh. Can't remember. Hakeem still on the team. Maybe it was landing that game changer Shandon Anderson that lead me to seek out like minded fans?

12. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

wow, we sure got lotsa Yao-only fans here uh.. lol just joking.

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I joined shortly after I go my first Internet connection ;)

Joined in 1997-ish. My first user account got trashed, so I had to switch in '99.

IIRC 97 was Charles Barkley's first year (96-97) with the Rockets.

#153 No Worries, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I found this site in the late 90's through either Gopher or Yahoo via Linx. All I remember was "Clutch City - Dedicated to the team I love". It was more of a blog and not much conversation so I would instead go to the alt.sports.basketball.nba.hou-rockets group. Then the forum was put up and I lurked for a while until I finally decided to join in 2002. Had a different user name back then though.

15. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Did the Rockets take that back? I thought Rivals.com took over ClutchCity.com (and made it suck) when Clutch moved sites.

I started looking at the site when I was away at college and couldn't see the Rockets games (I believe it was Pippen's season - or possibly Drexler's last year. Most likely Pippen's season).

16. stefanb

stefanb Member

When I joined Clutchfans it was probably to vent my frustrations about how the season was going. I became a true Rockets fan when in the 2005 playoffs we got screwed over by the "officials" (yeah official douche bags) during the series with Dallas.

17. PatBeverleyFan

Rockets droppin mad 3s on the Golden State Warriors.

18. yao2kmart

yao2kmart Member

I had a vision of the best inside out game for my Rockets and now it's come true, Howard2Harden!!!

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

the pursuit of Shandon Andersen

20. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I was mainly just using the Texans Message Board in 2012, and I had stumbled upon Clutchfans quiet a few times but for some reason I always just thought it was for fans of the mascot clutch :confused::confused::confused:I'm not sure why.

Then I joined in March, didn't post for like a month, then posted a highlight video I made about Goran Dragic in the GARM, and then posted regularly from then on.