1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What does OKC do now?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, May 31, 2016.

1. verysimplejason

you must be referring to another team...

2. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

Boston won 48 games last year. So you're saying adding Durant to a rather young team that has made the playoffs two straight years, showing progression in that time isn't worthy of a bump of +10 games? This guy was the MVP 2 seasons ago. Add in 2 more pieces with those assets/cap space (like Horford or Pau Gasol) and they're 2nd or 3rd favorite in the league.

3. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

They'd definitely be better but likely still behind GS, CLE, and SA. A good team but realistically they still wouldn't be challenging for a title.

Regardless, I think that Durant stays in OKC one more year.

4. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Agree. OKC did very well. Work on removing those untimely turnovers/closing games, and better 3 pt shooting, and they'd be up there with GSW. Easily could be in the NBA Finals as they are.

5. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Did you watch the OKC/SA series???

6. rockets13champs

Trade durant to houston for dekker! Lol

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Thunder's lack of development of Payne really hurt. And Foye didn't contribute very much. Morrow couldn't get on the floor because of his lack of defense.

The Thunder showed they could go big and small in the Spurs and Warriors series. That is nice versatility. BUT, their REAL lack of quality depth hurt. They basically played 6 guys in game 7.

If their "small lineup" is going to be their "death lineup" then they need to add another quality combo guard / swingman to their roster. Someone that can create their own shot, hit a 3ptr and at least have some defensive ability enough to keep them on the floor. When Roberson and Waiters were struggling...they had no one to go to. And Westbrook and Durant played too many minutes and were gassed at the end of games. Look at how their shooting percentages tapered off in the 4th quarters.

8. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Yes I did. Why? Are you writing the Spurs off?

9. Vivi

Vivi Member

He's just saying that the current Celtics are better than the current Spurs lol

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

This is the epitome of tinkering for no reason. These guys should just stay the course. Their team is perfect. Bench is great. Starters great. Age great. Chemistry great. System great. Coach did a terrific job even as an NBA rookie.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Westbrook running the point, especially now that they have Payne as backup and hoards of vets will want to sign there cheap. There's nothing wrong with Durant. These guys were a quarter away from beating a 73-win defending champion in 5 games. They lost fair and square, but no one achieves better results than that and they are built to battle in the playoffs again next year.

Some people just INSIST on imposing their Rockets narrative onto the Thunder as if tinkering with this team would only achieve positive results and not risk setbacks in other areas. What is Westbrook is simply less happy to handle the ball less? How many losses is that? What if Durant doesn't like the new PG? What about that? It's ridiculous. This is a top 3 seed with immense playoff success and a rookie coach. There is literally no better example of a team that should be kept together.

Their biggest problem is how to manage contracts in 2017.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

OKC does not need to blow it up or anything, but every team at least makes a few minor roster changes every season in the NBA. It's simply the product of the fact that some contracts expire and guys get signed by other teams.

I am thinking that Kanter is an underutilized resource right now. He is a contributor on this team, but at $16 million + for a 20 mpg player still seems too much. Couldn't that salary be put to better use?

12. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Agree pretty much with Mathloom and Carl, OKC pretty much needs to stay the course.

One more year under donovan & without all the off court turmoil/distractions will be huge for the team.

The only change the Thunders should make is, NOT resigning Waiters and instead go hard for Courtney Lee. Lee is less talented, but a much better and consistent 3 n D player. Lee could be had for the MLE or less, while Waiters is undoubtably looking for over 8-10 million per year.

13. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Bottom line is Kd would be a fool to leave. They just have to make some tweaks to the offense here and there. He doesnt have the right to leabe based on his teammates not showing up....he has one of the best defensive teams in the league, and those lineups Billy went to were beacuse he trusted Wb and Kd with the offensive load. Durant mostly and Wb failed the assignment given! If his situation was like Lebron playing with scrubs and him carrying the load then i understand, but he needs to be accountable more then anyone.

Something really needs to be done about that heroball already! How many times does it need to fail for them to quit it? Its like they are pressured to do it just beacuse they have two top 5 players.

14. Vivi

Vivi Member

Not sure at this point, he's pretty good in scoring, but he's also one of the worst defenders in the league, he's really bad. I don't see teams looking to give him a starting spot right now...it's also true that the Blazers offered him his current contract so, you never know, maybe you can actually find someone willing to play him as a starting 5 but, at what cost? I just don't see him having that good value in a trade.

15. Vivi

Vivi Member

Lee is a starter in Charlotte, good 3&D guy, i don't think someone can sign him for a MLE as today, probably something around 10x year.

16. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

They need to acquire some quality depth for their team. They played a 7 man rotation last night.

17. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

I'd be shocked if Courtney Lee gets 10 million per year for more than 2 years, but its possible I guess. Especially since the MLE next year should be close to 8 or so million.

Lee is coming off a 4 year 21 million dollar contract. He will be 31 next year, I doubt any team will be looking to sign him to 4 year 40 million. I'm thinking something like 4/30 or 3/24 or less.

If not Lee, the only other players that might fit & are within OKC's budget would be, maybe Affalo, Gerald Green, Budinger, Chalmers, Matt Barnes, Dudley & Ty Lawson.

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Maybe...
    [​IMG]

19. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, probably Afflalo is/was a pretty good fit, but i think he's not as good as he was few years ago. Anyway i'm not sure how big the MLE is going to be for next season...

20. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

LOL I like Jeremy, but even if the Thunders could get him, I'd think he'd be a horrible fit for that team. They need more shooting, more consistent & less ball dependent players.

Regarding the mle, I'm not really sure either lol. For the 2015–16 season the MLE was:
    $5.45 million for teams without cap room, below the tax apron
    $3.27 million for teams over the tax apron
    $2.725 million for teams with cap room

the cap is expected to jump to over 90 million (from 70million)