1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What does Morey do now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, Jul 11, 2014.

1. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

still at 8.3mil, that is a bargain now.

2. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

but Anderson has the disc injury which means taking him on his probably a greater risk. I'd be ok with either Ilyasova or Anderson, we'd have our stretch-4 and then shore up the bench and resign Parsons. We'd still have a formidable team and a true 4 to stretch the court for Dwight. Then sign Birdman for backup C and a wing defender and we're vastly improved.

3. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

Just woke up. What's going on? Why is everything so quiet? Any news?

4. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Bledsoe plays how many games a year? 50 something? The guy is very good, but injury prone.

5. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

Ilyasova is 7.9mil. Their career 3pt% is almost identical.

6. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

The calm before the storm #2554798?

7. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

his contract is too long...i like the guy, but his deal expires in 2016-17

8. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

Only $400,000 of 2016-2017 is guaranteed.

9. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

All focus should be on Love. The Illysova guy and Dwight's former teammate Andersen are not bangers to that can really go for the rebound, solid defense, but just shoot 3s...

10. soonerfan7277

soonerfan7277 Member

I do not know how reliable, but it appears Miami is heating (no pun intended) their pursuit of Luol Deng according to realgm.com. The site also stated that Houston was pursuing Ariza. If this is true are we luring Ariza to replace Parsons or will Ariza be our stretch four?

11. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

There's no way the Rockets can beat the Cavs offer for Love, he's going to Cleveland.

12. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/1...r-ariza?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

13. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

I'd rather have Parsons than Ariza. We can still get a stretch 4 (Anderson?), sign Parsons, and add some bench depth. The few million we save on Ariza over parsons might not be worth it IMO (depending on the actual amount).

Lets just return the 54 win team from last year and bring in some bench help and try to pull off a trade later in the year. Please don't grasp for Ariza unless its a bench/6th man option!!

14. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

I think we should sign Ariza and make an offer to Greg Monroe or Eric Bledsoe. I love Parsons but there is now way if I am the Rockets that I am paying him $15M/YR. That is way too much and it would hurt our cap space for the next couple of years and we wouldn't be able to go after guys like KD or K-Love.

15. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Ariza is not as good as Parsons. If we let Parsons walk, we better have Ariza AND another quality free agent lined up.

16. soonerfan7277

soonerfan7277 Member

17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Ariza plays defense

18. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Phx will match Bledsoe and who knows with Monroe. Too risky to let Parsons go and not have any assurances of who else we can get. Plus, all indications are that the salary cap will go up in the next year or 2 so the 15 m is much more palatable.

19. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

It will mercifully end tomorrow night.

20. PolarBear

PolarBear Contributing Member

THIS! I'm a Morey fan too. He's made more good and great moves than bad moves, but it was easy to predict that letting Parsons out of a $1M deal was going to backfire. There were plenty of teams with cap space willing to overpay for a very good (but not great) 25-year old player like Parsons. Opposing GMs know how to 'poison' those deals for Morey to match - trade kickers & player option years. This was an avoidable situation, and his biggest screw up since cutting bait with Dragic over a 2015-16 player option year and signing Lin instead (for more money).

Kudos to Morey for all of the great moves that led up to Harden and Howard. However, had Morey not made these two blunders at point guard and this offseason, we'd have both Parsons and Dragic in our starting lineup and still be well under the cap to make other moves to strengthen the bench.