1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What does Morey do now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, Jul 11, 2014.

1. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Get Zaza with Ilyasova and you have your backup 5. Sign backup PG with money left over after Marion then do trade and sign Parsons.

2. dje243

dje243 Member

I think Ilysova and Stephenson or Marion or Ariza wouldn't be settling. Ily can spread the floor and play pretty good D. He can also play backup 5. We've gotta have solid depth to make a run.

Bev/Johnson
    Harden/Stephenson
    Parsons/stephenson
    Ilysova/TJones
    Dwight/Ilysova

3. dje243

dje243 Member

Oh I like the Zaza idea. Would be a solid pickup.

4. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Morey was an hour away from having the best weekend (and season!) ever.

Now he'll be pounding Red Bulls and pulling all nighters that could haunt him for a long time.

5. tefunk

tefunk Member

Houston takes aim at veteran Mike Miller

http://www.argusleader.com/story/sports/2014/07/12/houston-takes-aim-veteran-mike-miller/12563477/

On the day LeBron James staggered the basketball world by announcing his plans to return to Cleveland, Mike Miller was still trying to figure out his future.

The Mitchell native was contacted by James earlier this week about joining the four-time MVP with the Cavaliers, and Cleveland reached out Friday to Miller’s agent, Arn Tellem.

But the Houston Rockets also emerged as a serious contender to land Miller on Friday after trading Jeremy Lin and failing to sign All-Star Chris Bosh, who will return to Miami.

Those developments cleared up money for the Rockets, who can potentially offer more than Cleveland and considerably more than Memphis had offered to keep the 14-year NBA veteran. Denver and Oklahoma City are also still in the hunt.

One thing’s for certain: Miller will have a new team. He announced Friday night that the Grizzlies were going in another direction and he would not return to Memphis. Soon after, the Grizzlies revealed that they had signed veteran guard Vince Carter to a three-year, $12 million deal.

“Just informed that the Grizz are going in another direction,” Miller announced. “I completely understand, but wanted to thank you so much for everything. Awesome city. Awesome fans.”

After winning two titles with James in Miami, the 34-year-old Miller appeared in 89 games with the Grizzlies last season, averaging 7.1 points while shooting 45.9 percent on 3-pointers, second-best in the NBA.

As he prepares to sign what will likely be his final multi-year contract, the former NBA Rookie of the Year has expressed a desire to remain “relevant,” which means finding a significant offer but also playing for a team that can compete for NBA titles and be part of the national conversation.

Houston and Cleveland would both fit into that scenario, but he is clearly intrigued by the Cavs.

Miller was in Sioux Falls and Mitchell on Friday to attend the funeral of his grandmother, Mary Klein. His next move could depend on what transpires in the whirlwind of free agency over the next few days.

6. haydenfisher342

interesting development

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If Memphis opted for 3 years 12 mil for Vince, that probably means Mike Millers asking price is alot higher than that.... which is crazy since he was almost retired 3 years ago.

Lets say the Rockets decide not to match Parsons, and they agree to give MM the full MLE.

They could still have another 17 mil or so to spend before losing that MLE so they could agree in principle and make another couple acquisitions before than.

Maybe you then go all in on Paul Pierce with a 2 year deal. 2 years/20 mil. Then you have duties split between PP & MM for roughly the same price as one Parsons. Also you can play both guys at the 3/4 in small ball lineups.

Not a bad backup option, and this might be where Morey is going with the MM intrigue (MLE commitment and sign after another signing).

8. King901

King901 Member

He is a good bench player, but doesnt push us to the next level.

9. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

While I like Miller ok I think the Rocket's would be best going after a guy like Eric Bledsoe or even Greg Monroe. I just think that at this point in there careers they bring much more to the table.

10. dobro1229

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS. The Rockets don't have that kind of time. They have 40 hours or so. Not 2 weeks.

11. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

sign sessions with okafor and see if rashad lewis is willing to come back for the vet minimum while resigning parsons.

beverley/sessions
    harden/johnson/daniels
    parsons/lewis
    jones
    howard/okafor

12. King901

King901 Member

yeah go after restricted free agents, lose parsons while waiting, and lose those restricted free agents after they are matched.

13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

He's going to go overpay for the likes ariza/lin now. Its pretty ironic. Continuously lowball current players, flash players that don't want to come here, and then overpay for ****.

14. King901

King901 Member

Thank you, a lot of people do not understand that.

15. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

Yes please. Mirotic/dunleavy/boozer etc so Melo gets his max. Then match parsons. Then maybe trade for love or go to war with who we have.

16. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

I understand that the restricted free agents will take three days for the offer to go through but I just don't think I am comfortable paying $15 million/year to Parsons. We could potentially get Ariza or Deng for $3 million years less/year. Would much rather go that route. Then in 2015 we can maybe go get KD. Maybe I am dreaming but if we match Parsons deal then we will not have the cap space to get any FA in the summers of 2015/2016.

17. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I like this scenario. It keeps the win now mentality with future maneuvering possible. I thought you were talking about doing this and not matching Parsons, which is a big step backwards. My mistake.

18. dobro1229

Forget Parsons' salary. Its about not losing an asset like Parsons for nothing.

If you strike out on Bledsoe/Monroe & let Parsons walk, you just incredibly weakened you team next year. The side effect it will have on Harden and mostly Howard (who has very few years left at his prime) will be key.

Long story short, they Rockets are between a Rock and a hard place. They must either resign Parsons or get a replacement player/s. If you go after a RFA right now, than you run the risk (due to timing) of losing out of the target RFA's(since their teams WILL match), other replacement players for Parsons coming off the market(cap will be held up with RFA offers), and of course, lose Parsons in the process since (again the timing) Parsons will need to be matched before you will get an answer back from the team holding the rights to match the RFA.

Its confusing but that's the truth about this situation. Trust me... just forget about RFA's. Tomorrow or Sunday Morning SOMETHING needs to happen(that can be finalized in time) or you match Parsons & use your MLE etc. for more role players.

19. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Morey must have had a back-up plan if he's such a great GM right?

20. HighlightReel

HighlightReel Member

Thaddeus Young for DMo and Nick Johnson?