1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do you want the Rockets to do in regards to Donatas Motiejunas?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Dec 6, 2016.

?

What do you want the Rockets to do in regards to Donatas Motiejunas?

1. Hold him hostage and fine him until he plays.

81.2%
  2. Release him/renounce his rights

9.6%
  3. Make him RFA again

9.2%
  1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Yes we knew that .

2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

Is there any scenario where the rockets can trade him?

i think he's a perfect fit as our 3rd big guy for the right price, but if he's decided that he's played his last game for the rockets, losing him for nothing (especially now that we have him under contract) shouldn't be an option.

3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm surprised anyone thinks we ought to release him. The Rockets really can't afford to set the precedent that legally binding contracts are only legally binding until the player throws a tantrum.

kevtse and Tha_Dude like this.
  4. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

BUT...beginning on March 1, a restricted free agent may no longer negotiate with any other teams (except for his former team) until the following offseason.

Basically, if D-Mo hasn't come into the fold by March 1, then he cannot sign with any other team until next July. Of course, the Rockets can STILL make him a restricted free agent (again) by extending him a qualifying offer.

Also, it's pretty ridiculous for D-Mo to throw away an entire year of earnings over $4-6 million in incentives he wanted. He's giving up a base salary of $8.3 million this season. That's a lot more than the total amount of the incentives, many of which he probably would not have gotten even had he been a Brooklyn Net.

craguin and snowconeman22 like this.
  5. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

The rockets have him by the balls . They always had him by the balls . The only thing Dmo has over the rockets is that he is costing us a roster spot . This will probably not hurt the rockets at all as any likely trade is going to be a consolidation trade .

Hopefully he shows up for the physical tomorrow .

The only way Dmo can ever gain leverage is by playing well or by being a lockeroom cancer ... And he has to be in the locker room to be a cancer.

6. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

Is sign and trade on the table? I really hope this drama doesn't bother the team

7. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

I think we should go ahead and build that statue of Dmo outside Toyota Center like he wants, give him the other hidden bonuses that he was expecting in the contract and move on and be done with it. Lets HOPE he comes back to the team with a smiley face, man. Seems like he's been suffering from dry dick for awhile now, maybe find him some saliva too. Though, dude will not be offering any services in that department

8. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I don't know what to think anymore. D-Mo's behavior this offseason, from the beginning until now, has been increasingly bizarre and self-destructive. I don't want an unhappy player here but the Rockets have done what they were supposed to do through the whole process. It's not their fault he turned down their 7-8 mil in favor of the team-friendliest deal ever (with all the opt-outs and only 5 million guaranteed) at the same amount when you account for state taxes. It's not the Rockets' fault he held out months to get a worse contract.

Now they're unhappy that they signed a shitty contract and are trying to back out of it. Every single step D-Mo and/or BJ has made this year has been an utter mistake and downright strange. We keep playing nice and going about RFA like any team that wanted their guy back would and they keep wanting to "fight the power" or something. It is absurd and I don't care where he winds up. But no player or agent should profit from this sort of behavior. It's gone from stupid to bizarre to self-destructive to unethical.

I had a little sympathy for D-Mo before, feeling he was just getting horrible advice from his agent, but he's the one that chooses to stick with the agent that is giving him such bad advice so I put it on him.

The Rockets have wanted him to sign all dang year and have put too much effort into making him happy, when he's treating the front office like an enemy. My sympathy and patience are both gone. I hope he never gets his money and never steps on an NBA court again. He has now officially and finally made himself a cancer.

#108 Batman Jones, Dec 7, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  9. kevtse

kevtse Member

Just let him sit at home playing 2K17 using the Nets all day.

Dont forget to bill him the Bobby Brown's compensation fee.

10. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Regardless, if D-Mo does report, dude needs to EARN his minutes. The more I see of Harrell, the more convinced I become that he deserves consistent rotation minutes. He's got the biggest motor of any of our bigs.

DreamShook, Tha_Dude and DonKnock like this.
  11. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

It's truly raining **** on Dmo right now. I think he held out in the hopes that our team would suck, or Anderson would get hurt, and/or none of our young guys would get playing time or improve. All in the hopes that the Rockets would overpay him and give him the contract he wanted. The good news is that McHale is no longer coaching the team so none of those things have happened. Bad news for Dmo is now he has to live with losing that gamble, and apparently he's taking it pretty hard. So hard that he's allowing irrational decisions to be made that are just going to keep costing him.

TheMystery008 and Handles like this.
  12. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Hold dat ass hostage.

13. bongman

bongman Member

Cover his huevos with honey and sugar and release 5K ants

14. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

At this point f*ck dmo and hit him where it hurts, his pocket book. Can he risk losing 9 million pro rated this year after that rookie contract? If he doesn't want to play, make him waste a year and don't let him play anywhere else

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe his back is so bad he knows he won't pass the physical.

16. carib

carib Member

From reading the tons of Dmo threads, I have come to two conclusions, either Dmo is unhappy about the 6 million in incentives taken off the table or he realized Utah's offer was better and is trying to find a way out. Personally I would not have taken the incentives off the table I would want the player to be happy not disgruntled and be a cancer, but I am not the GM, if he wants to be somewhat shrewd and save 6 mill over 4 years that is his right. Can't just focus on numbers and stats there is also a human element. BJ screwed up big time because he should have been aware of this possibility, Morey consistently pays role players for the lowest value he can get them. BJ advising Dmo to sit out and refuse to play and risk not getting paid at all compounds his own mistake. Trying to back out of deal you signed hoping you will be let go to go after another deal is unprofessional. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. You don't know what the future holds it is better to accept your contract get paid and play, than to sit on your couch for months hoping for more while getting nothing at all when the future is uncertain.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Oh, I agree...he will not be increasing his value....UNLESS he goes overseas and has a monster year, then as a RFA, he might get those offers he is looking for....

DD

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Then he goes to New Jersey.

DD

19. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Seems like if he doesn't want to be here that's the exact course he would take as from what I understand a failed physical by us sends him to the Nets.

20. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Lmaooo low-key pun?

CisBuds4U likes this.