1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do you think Jeremy Lin is worth?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HR Dept, Apr 2, 2014.

1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I think we can all agree that J Lin is a little overpaid at the moment, making on avg roughly $8.4 million a season on his current contract. And a reported $15 mil next season (still within the $8.4 mill a season average). Morey gambled on his potential and it's been really hit or miss to this point.

So what do you think Lin's play has actually warrented to this point and going into the end of his second season under this current contract? IMO, 3 years $15-18 million would've been more of a sweet spot. My first thought was 3 years $9-10 mill, but I took a look at what other PGs are getting paid and came up with the $15-18 number. At any rate, he would've def been more tradable if it came to it.

One thing that I found troubling is the fact that Lin is getting paid $3 million more than Jamal Crawford, who's game is the definition of the role that Lin is being asked to play.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

He's worth a lot to Les Alexander. Probably about $15m/yr

To Daryl Morey, not so much.

So, key it, defining how much Lin is worth to another owner who looks beyond basketball value and is willing to pay for it. Also in the calculation, if we land a Max PG, then no backup is worth more than what Bev gets, unless they can backup Harden, too.

3. Eddie5ball

Eddie5ball Member

For some reason I just had a craving for a bag of doritos.

4. RCPM

RCPM Member

As a marketing tool, a hell of a lot of value.

As a basketball player, not much value at all.

5. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Unfortunately, he probably has negative trade value, given the balloon payment. We might as well keep him, unless we use his contract as salary cap fodder for a big sign and trade this summer.

6. SacTown

SacTown Member

Think about this for a moment.

LeBron's first year with Miami he made 15.5 Million. Lin will make 15 million next year.

Thanks Morey.

7. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I think we can lay the whole marketing thing to rest now. This team has two legit superstars in Harden and Howard, and the Houston brand is already solidified in the overseas Asian market. Winning will always be the best marketing campaign.

8. BonziWellsGOAT

I'll put it to you this way.

Every gm in the league:

[​IMG]

9. torocan

torocan Member

As a starting PG, I'd probably put him in the $6-$7M range as free agency goes. When you factor in his drawing power, that bumps him up to about the $8M mark.

So as of right now, he's slightly overpaid for performance, reasonably paid as a package.

And tossing around the $15M number is meaningless, as it's basically deferred compensation. It's no different than going to a contractor and saying "Half up front, half on completion". If you're going to argue that Lin is overpaid next year, then you need to accept that Lin was grossly underpaid in his first 2 years on the Rockets.

10. RoxDC

RoxDC Member

There was an overpaid/underpaid thread last year that equated win-share to adjusted salary. Lin and Asik were both just over $5 million, so maybe 3/$15 million?

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yeah, but Win-Share does not take into consideration that McHate doesn't like Lin and isn't using him correctly.

12. beybey

beybey Member

He's worth alot.

Morey's not willing to give him away without substantial return. Does he ever take a loss besides royce white?

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

We picked Lin over Dragic.

14. conquistador#11

on a team where there are even 13 shots to spare, he is worth the 8.4 mil a year.

15. Nook

Nook Member

This.

The $15,000,000 a red herring.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is probably a $3m - $4m a year player in the league, a medium level starter, and a high level backup.

Nothing special, TBH.

DD

1 person likes this.
  17. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He has negative value balloon payment or not. I think it's a foregone conclusion that he gets sent out over the summer.

18. ChumpCity

ChumpCity Member

I do not dislike Lin, but let's be honest here:

Mchale cannot make Lin's jump shots go into the basket.
    Mchale cannot make Lin's circus shots around the basket go in.
    Mchale cannot stop Lin's constant turnovers after driving to the lane.
    Mchale cannot make Lin's defense look respectable vs any PG in the West.

What is it that you believe Mchale should be doing to use him "correctly?"

1 person likes this.
  19. apollo33

apollo33 Member

linsanity was 2 years ago

I'm not sure how long he can ride that for before everyone forgets about it

20. dragician

dragician Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1zo3fJYtS-o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>