1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do you think is the purpose of life/ what keeps you going?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by crazyguypete, Sep 12, 2007.

1. crazyguypete

crazyguypete Member

This is an issue that I have been truly trying to analyze and decipher for the past couple of years. I know that probably human intellect will never be able to figure out such an issue but it is something I think if you think about long enough you realize you must try and figure out. This is what I believe thus far and why I do so...

First and for most I know a very large percentage of people will ascribe to the notion that the meaning of life is God. Now my belief in God has gone from hell yes (pun intended) to agnosticism in the sense one can never know. I find the religious God to be something that not only probably doesn't exist but also something that is dangerous to believe. My intention in this post is not to discuss whether God does or does not exist. However, I do not think it is fair to say I don't think a religious God exist and not show why. Thus I will explain my issues with a religious God and if you would like to dabble into this issue I have no qualms with that but please try and focus the conversation on the main point (The purpose of life/ what keeps you going?).

When I discuss the belief in God with people the main argument I come around to hearing for defense of God is, its not a logical thing, its an issue of faith. You have to simply have faith in God. This to me is a cop out. Where does faith derive from? Why do we have faith in our parents, our good friends, wives, husbands, etc? It is not because this magical notion of faith arises, rather its an extension of reason. You have seen your parents for your entire life do what is in your best interest (at least perceive that) so you have faith they are not going to kill you in the middle of the night (an exaggeration to get the point across). Thus, faith is nothing more than another way of describing reason. So, when examining God's existence you must reason why. (Well you don't have to, you can always just believe it because you have been indoctrinated as a youth in it and it makes you happy and everyone around you is for it so its the easiest and most comfortable thing to follow).

Another common argument for God's existence is if God does not exist how does all of this start. First and foremost here, even if this is true, it in no way describes the religious God here. It simply says there is a Being that created everything or started everything. Simply that. In no way can you describe God as being omnipotent and omniscient (typical attributes the religious folk say God has). Furthermore, this doesn't even have to be the case. Concepts like infinite regression can exist (I believe, I have heard conflicting opinions on the issue recently). There have been physicist who argue that the universe can and does destroy and recreate itself and has this "power."

A third argument for God's existence is if God does not exist how do we describe morality. Well, morality does not need God. Is the reason murder is wrong is b/c God commands us not to murder? No! God commands us not to murder because murder is wrong. God cannot simply decide murder to be wrong for if he did morality would be arbitrary and random. Murder is wrong because of what it is, not because God decided it to be wrong.

I'm getting off topic here but this third argument also brings up the question, "What exactly is morality?" Many would say what is right and what is wrong? Well how do you describe what is right and what is wrong? What is that definitive element that makes something right and something wrong? I have come to the idea that morality is not really morality rather preference. There is no definitive element that makes something right and makes something wrong.

There are many more arguments I can give for why the religious God probably does not exist and if you want more I will supply them. However, I think its better now to discuss why I think the religious God is dangerous.

First though I want to make a note on something. When I said earlier morality does not exist then the question may arise well how can you describe something as dangerous for if its dangerous is it not bad? I'm getting ahead of myself here but in everything there are positive and negatives. You gain something in anything you do and lose something as well. When you stay up late at night studying you gain knowledge, but you lose sleep. When you work real hard you may gain money but you lose time with your family. There are pluses and minuses to everything. Now as a society, for survival I believe the greatest source of our survival is knowledge. So anything that thwarts knowledge is dangerous to our survival.

How does religion curtail knowledge? Well to be honest my focus will be on Christianity b/c most of my knowledge is on Christianity (I have been trying to expand my horizons but as of now it is really just Christianity).

I'll give two cases and once again these are simply just two cases there are more and if you want more I can give you more but the point of this is what is the purpose of life.

The first comes from my first argument against the belief in a religious God. This notion of you just believe. You either have faith or you don't. And if you don't you are going to hell. This to me cuts off knowledge by inducing fear. And it has been shown that fear does cut off the part in your brain that does your logical reasoning, the whole fight or flight kicks in. To me if justice exists its unjust to think that if I honestly do my best to understand God to see if he exists and in what way, and I conclude he does not exist God would rot me in hell. That to me is unfair.

The second case comes from Genesis. Adam and Eve are punished for eating out of the tree of knowledge (technically the knowledge of Good and Bad). I understand that the error was in disobeying God but I have never understood how gaining knowledge is bad? I mean if morality exists, how can that be bad?

So why does morality not exist? Well my reasoning for this stems from Einstein, Adam Turing, and Douglas Hofstadter. Einstein believed that the world is a deterministic place. In other words, everything is just a manifestation of cause and effect. Even us. Adam Turing, who i believe is often misunderstood believed man is nothing more than a sophisticated computer (not the other way around). Thus we take data, analyze with our processor and compute a result. This analysis comes from nothing more then the way we are taught to process things from our parents and society. Hofstadter is famous for a book called GEB (Godel, Escher, and Bach) and I am a Strange loop. Both books i have not fully read. Truthfully, I've only scanned GEB and am only 70 odd pages in I am a Strange Loop. But I think he is getting at the same idea.

And specifically what is that idea? Well we are nothing more then a complex machine that takes data and analysis it. There is no freedom, no choice. We take what is given to us and based on what we have been previously taught and we compute a result. We are nothing more than a being in a long chain of cause and effect. If this is true, if choice does not exist neither does morality, and neither does sin and a religious God.

This is however why I believe it is soo important to ascertain knowledge. For with this knowledge we can best assess the truth and survive in a "good" way (however you want to define good).

So this is what I have come to see. We are complex machines that are the "Victims" of our surroundings. We take the data we collect and with our brain processors compute what we perceive as the best result. This is why knowledge is the purpose of life. (I think Socrates said this).

This, as least to me is somewhat depressing, and hard to cope with (I know I have struggled with it). However, I have searched long and hard for another alternative and truly have found this as the closest to what my experience has shown me to be the truth. Also, I have been told numerous amount of times why do all this thinking, it does not do anything but mess you up in the head. However, if I have concluded understanding things is whats "best." and I do not try and understand what does that make me?

What do you think? What do you think is the truth? What is the purpose? What keeps you going?

Note: As I was writing this tonight it dawned on me that many people would argue love. Love like God is a very ambiguous term so please if you are going to say love or God or whatever please try to be as thorough as possible in your definition of what Love and God are.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What keeps me going? Prefering life to the alternative.

D&D. Impeach the Living Embodiment of the Peter Principal.

3. crazyguypete

crazyguypete Member

Isn't this nothing more than hedonism? What happens when it becomes a chore to live? When the fatigue of life kicks in?

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I've been around for a while. It's not a chore to live, nor has fatigue kicked in, other than the fact that it is 4 in the morning, and I'm going to bed. Hedonism? Preferring life to death is hedonism? How could you write that long tract and then come up with a response like this to my post? If I was hedonistic, I would have said I preferred pleasure to the alternative of death. That is not what I said. I prefer life to death. What is hedonistic about that?

D&D. Impeach the Living Embodiment of the Peter Principal.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I think if God exists then he's probably a non-interfering architect. Maybe all our close shaves are a matter of luck. On the other hand, I don't think it's lazy thinking or ignorance to believe that God had a role in the things you've achieved. If that's the case, then God has shown Himself.

I have a hard time believing some Christians claim that we are God's property through Jesus's sacrifice and we have to adhere to the terms of the Bible since our lives aren't our own. If God was infinite love, then I'd think we have to live our lives to the fullest in order to appreciate the gift of life rather than repress arbitrarily determined things.

This might sound too blunt, but I don't see strict morality as God's word. It's just some tool used by old men to dominate groups of people.

Therefore in the context of this discussion, I think it's a hard and futile task to live solely in the name of God, though using God to help guide you through life is a noble endeavor, if the God you worship is a loving one that teaches compassion and cooperation. Fundamentalist or religiously justified violence is feeding upon the base desires that most religions were set up to help people cope against. It becomes an ironic exercise in futility.

Most of the memorable things in your life come from the unexpected. They are things you can't control. When people put their lives into God, it's an acknowledgment that there are things bigger than them that can't be overcome alone but could be achievable with a common understanding with others. Maybe faith is like a gut feeling, an irrational reaction or thought.

But I see faith as a very powerful quality in living a good life.

It's because faith can sound stupid in the face of reality, but true faith comes with the knowledge that you can get screwed for acting upon it.

Trusting your friends and loved ones one part of acting in faith. Anyone could argue selfish intentions, and there are those who exploit the faith of others. Those with true faith will definitely recover.

It's self-fulfilling and self-reinforcing. Kind of like people who suceed because they never gave up after failure, faith in others builds bridges that people ultimately crave.

The God of the Gaps argument is a good rebuttal. No one can comprehend the immense scales and microscales of the universe. I think religion is attacked (though not victimless) because it's offering an answer that can't be answered with certainty.

An outside observer could get annoyed at the credulity of giving such an answer. He could also think of it as spreading lies. But isn't that a form of a personal morality in itself?

Personally, I sidestep the issue by respecting other people's beliefs as long as they came to their conclusion themselves and they're not actively interfering with my beliefs through aggressive tactics.

God or no God, we need rules in the physical realm to allow civilized society. Christians believe sins can be forgiven and that we suffer from the most original sin of having free thinking and willing minds. There's already a topic in D&D about morality. So I leave it at that.

I don't think the universe is checking and balancing itself with zero sum values. First thing to know about life is that none of this will make any sense. Even with numbers, there are values that you just have to accept for what they are.

Now for your proposal, what if the government took you to some lab and subjected you to testing for my survival? Is that pursuit of knowledge still worthy under your personal ethics?

Does a country with no water, power, infrastructure or agricultural base need an elaborate university system for it's 20 year goal? Priorities are subjective. Who you are and the circumstances you grew up in have shaped your personal ethics and values.

Something to think about for morality and ethics.

I maintain the belief that science and religion are not mutually exclusive in the pursuit of knowledge and improving the quality of life.

If you equate knowledge with gained experiences, some experiences you don't need to know in order to improve yourself, like spending a month in jail or coping with an STD.

Your other point that God will send you to hell through sin, I also have thought a lot about. Can a loving God banish a soul for eternity for actions committed in a very short life? I don't think there's justice in that either. Perhaps a God will just let atheists die the way they want, the end of existing with their corpses rotting in the earth. One interpretation of Hell is the absence of God. To what degree of Hell is that...who knows? Perhaps the afterlife runs in a clockwork similar to this universe with it's own rules, like the way Asian cultures describe it. I don't know. And I've never picked the brain of someone who has come back to life.

If the fear of Hell and the injustice of it discourages you from Christianity, you have the free will to pursue a path of your own. As long as you're alive, religion or the lack of it is always an option.

From a Christian perspective, you have been given the free will to choose good or bad.

Atheists argue through God's omniscience that free will doesn't exist since if God knows everything, then everything is determined. And if everything is determined, why bother?

Again, life is a gift. You get no do overs, so make some damn good choices and the choices you want. There's not much more to say than that.

If you think we have no choice, then you could say that we're slaves. Slaves to what...God in my example, or science in yours? Both are abstract concepts in our puny minds.

Dogs have been bred to love their owners. They don't care that they're slaves to our whims. There's a certain amount of pride in ourselves that pop up when it's not necessary to our well being. In this case, it's arrogance in assuming that everything in our destiny can be planned and be accounted for.

That's not an argument for ignorance, but rather there are several possibilities to handle a situation and that logic should serve as a tool and not a crutch...especially when anticipating how other human beings think.

I don't think there is a universal truth, but there is personal truth. You could narrow down that pursuit of all knowledge and focus upon finding that. I mean learning and discovering things is also a way for a fulfilling life to many, but dictating that as the truth is as productive as telling people they will go to hell if they don't submit.

#5 Invisible Fan, Sep 12, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  6. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

to know God/God

7. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

I won't say I love you, babe
    I won't say I need you, babe
    But I'm gonna' get you, babe
    And I will not do you wrong
    Living's mostly wasting time
    And I waste my share of mine
    But it never feels too good
    So let's don't take too long
    Well, you're soft as glass and I'm a gentle man
    We got the sky to talk about
    And the world to lie upon

Days up and down they come
    Like rain on a conga drum
    Forget most, remember some
    But don't turn none away
    Everything is not enough,
    And nothing is too much to bear
    Where you've been is good and gone
    All you keep is the getting there
    Well, to live's to fly, both low and high
    So shake the dust off of your wings
    And the sleep out of your eyes

It's goodbye to all my friends
    It's time to leave again
    Here's to all the poetry
    And the pickin' down the line
    I'll miss the system here
    The bottom's low and the treble's clear
    But it don't pay to think too much
    On things you leave behind
    Well, I may be gone, but it won't be long
    I'll be bringing back the melody
    And the rhythm that I find

We all got holes to fill.
    Those holes are all that's real
    Some fall on you like a storm
    Sometimes you dig your own
    The choice is yours to make
    The time is yours to take
    Some dive into the sea
    Some toil upon the stone
    Well, to live's to fly, both low and high
    So shake the dust off of your wings
    And the sleep out of your eye
    Shake the dust off of your wings
    And the tears out of your eye

8. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

To bang as many hot chicks as possible.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I like how you said this thread's main point was really about the purpose of life, and then wrote an essay on whether God exists. :D

I believe in God. He's my purpose. I won't try to convince you of Him with fancy lawyer talk or the words of philosophers I admire. I would encourage you to never stop wrestling with this question. You're absolutely right that you shouldn't take His existence at face value without wrestling with it. Go to churches where people really, truly believe and live their lives in service of others.

I love Jesus...I'm not cool with religion, either.

By the way...Socrates believed in God. :)

10. ymc

ymc Member

I don't think there is any meaning at all. What keeps me going is that since death is a certain thing, so I don't have the urge to kill myself. Then why don't I just keep watching my movie of life till the end? ;)

But if you think from the perspective of human race, the meaning of human race existence is to keep existing. If you subscribe to that, then bang more chicks to make more kids can be your life mission. ;)

11. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

he who knows does not know, he who doesn't know - knows.

12. rhester

so it's a conspiracy theory, cool :)

13. rhester

I believe God would agree with you on this point.

14. Buck Turgidson

"Well, all I'm saying is that I want to look back and say that I did I the best I could while I was stuck in this place; had as much fun as I could while I was stuck in this place; played as hard as I could while I was stuck in this place; ****** as many girls as I could while I was stuck in this place."

But seriously: to improve the world around me as much as possible, and by example inspire others to do the same.

And enjoy life.

15. Cesar^Geronimo

The Meaning of Life

"Are There Any Questions?"

At the last session on the last morning of a two-week seminar on Greek culture, led by intellectuals and experts in their fields who were recruited by Papaderos from across Greece, Papaderos rose from his chair at the back of the room and walked to the front, where he stood in the bright Greek sunlight of an open window and looked out. We followed his gaze across the bay to the iron cross marking the German cemetery.

He turned. And made the ritual gesture: "Are there any questions?"

Quiet quilted the room. These two weeks had generated enough questions for a lifetime, but for now there was only silence.

"No questions?" Papaderos swept the room with his eyes.

So. I asked.

"Dr. Papaderos, what is the meaning of life?"

The usual laughter followed, and people stirred to go.

Papaderos held up his hand and stilled the room and looked at me for a long time, asking with his eyes if I was serious and seeing from my eyes that I was.

"I will answer your question."

Taking his wallet out of his hip pocket, he fished into a leather billfold and brought out a very small round mirror, about the size of a quarter.

And what he said went like this:

"When I was a small child, during the war, we were very poor and we lived in a remote village. One day, on the road, I found the broken pieces of a mirror. A German motorcycle had been wrecked in that place.

"I tried to find all the pieces and put them together, but it was not possible, so I kept only the largest piece. This one. And by scratching it on a stone I made it round. I began to play with it as a toy and became fascinated by the fact that I could reflect light into dark places where the sun would never shine -- in deep holes and crevices and dark closets. It became a game for me to get light into the most inaccessible places I could find.

"I kept the little mirror, and as I went about my growing up, I would take it out in idle moments and continue the challenge of the game. As I became a man, I grew to understand that this was not just a child's game but a metaphor for what I might do with my life. I came to understand that I am not the light or the source of light. But light -- truth, understanding, knowledge -- is there, and it will only shine in many dark places if I reflect it.

"I am a fragment of a mirror whose whole design and shape I do not know. Nevertheless, with what I have I can reflect light into the dark places of this world -- into the black places in the hearts of men -- and change some things in some people. Perhaps others may see and do likewise. This is what I am about. This is the meaning of my life."

And then he took his small mirror and, holding it carefully, caught the bright rays of daylight streaming through the window and reflected them onto my face and onto my hands folded on the desk.

Much of what I experienced in the way of information about Greek culture and history that summer is gone from memory. But in the wallet of my mind I carry a small round mirror still.

Are there any questions?

-------------------------------------------------------------

(from the book, It Was on Fire When I Lay Down on It, by Robert Fulghum, the same guy who wrote All I Ever Really Needed to Know I Learned in Kindergarten)

16. crazyguypete

crazyguypete Member

Deckard I have been around people who do get tired of life. I have been around those who would want nothing more than to die. Hell, I knew someone very close to me who killed themselves. So while life to you is not a chore, for others it is. To me it sounds like you have an enjoyment in life. You like the idea of being alive vs death. If i prefer life to death then i see that as I like living vs dying. Which to me is hedonism b/c you are essentially saying (at least to me) life brings me more happiness than death. I apologize if what I said was offensive, that was not my intent. I am not saying you are a hedonist, just your response to this question is a hedonistic response (to me).

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

18. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i knew it would be v-span!!!

:D

19. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know if you are being glib, but almost all male-specific behaviors can be reduced to this. This is actually a pretty good answer, IMO, even if people don't realize it overtly. And I guess quite often these male competitive behaviors get sublimated into something else, but they all start off as attempts to impress p***y.

20. danny317

danny317 Member

wow, too long to read.

1/4 life crisus? 1/2 life crisus? 3/4 life crisus?

from a mathematical stand point (i believe pascal made this arguement but i may be wrong...)

there is a god = 0.5
    or
    there is no god = 0.5

now lets say:

i believe in god = 0.5
    or
    i dont believe in god = 0.5

if there is a god and you believe in him (0.5 x 0.5) = 0.25 when you die there will be a good outcome

if there is no god and you believe in him (0.5 x 0.5) = 0.25 when you die there is not effect

if there is no god and you dont believe in him (0.5 x 0.5) = 0.25 when you die there is not effect

if there is a god and you dont believe in him (0.5 x 0.5) = 0.25 when you die there will be a bad outcome

0.25 good outcome
    0.25 + 0.25 = 0.5 no effect
    0.25 bad outcome

the best bet is to believe in god :D