1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do you think about this trade.....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kingxdingaling, Aug 13, 2004.

1. kingxdingaling

I posted this post in the Chicago-Houston Rumors also...but had no replies therefore I decided to make my own thread. Since Shareef wants out of Portland and Chicago wants Pike for Deke....I decided to play around with Realgm.com and here is what i got...Comments or Suggestion is happily welcome..

Portland trades: PF Shareef Abdur-Rahim (16.3 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 2.0 apg in 31.6 minutes)
    Portland receives: SG Adrian Griffin (0.6 ppg, 1.0 rpg, 0.5 apg in 7.0 minutes)
    PF Maurice Taylor (11.5 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 1.4 apg in 27.8 minutes)
    SF Eddie Robinson (6.7 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 1.1 apg in 20.1 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: +2.5 ppg, +0.6 rpg, and +1.0 apg.

Houston trades: SG Adrian Griffin (0.6 ppg, 1.0 rpg, 0.5 apg in 7.0 minutes)
    PG Tyronn Lue (10.5 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 4.2 apg in 30.7 minutes)
    PF Juwan Howard (17.0 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 2.0 apg in 35.5 minutes)
    PF Maurice Taylor (11.5 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 1.4 apg in 27.8 minutes)
    Houston receives: PF Shareef Abdur-Rahim (16.3 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 2.0 apg in 85 games)
    Change in team outlook: -23.3 ppg, -8.1 rpg, and -6.1 apg.

Chicago trades: SF Eddie Robinson (6.7 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 1.1 apg in 20.1 minutes)
    Chicago receives: PG Tyronn Lue (10.5 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 4.2 apg in 76 games)
    PF Juwan Howard (17.0 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 2.0 apg in 81 games)
    Change in team outlook: +20.8 ppg, +7.5 rpg, and +5.1 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Portland, Houston, and Chicago being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Portland, Houston, and Chicago had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Then since you said that we can't get DEKE in a packaged trade we could just trade EP and DEKE separate...

Houston trades: SF Eric Piatkowski (4.1 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 0.5 apg in 14.3 minutes)
    Houston receives: C Dikembe Mutombo (5.6 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 0.4 apg in 23.0 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: +1.5 ppg, +5.2 rpg, and -0.1 apg.

Chicago trades: C Dikembe Mutombo (5.6 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 0.4 apg in 23.0 minutes)
    Chicago receives: SF Eric Piatkowski (4.1 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 0.5 apg in 49 games)
    Change in team outlook: -1.5 ppg, -5.2 rpg, and +0.1 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Houston and Chicago being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Houston and Chicago had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out unless trade exceptions were used for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

2. Kyrodis

Kyrodis Contributing Member

I think this is one of the rare trade proposals on this board where we're actually giving up too much.

Shareef is solid, but definitely not worth the four players we're giving up.

3. kingxdingaling

We're going to be receiving Deke and Shareef for AG,Lue,Howard,MT,Pike...

C: Yao/Deke/Shareef
    PF: Shareef/CW/Deke
    SF: JJ/Boki/TM
    SG: TM/Sura/JJ
    PG: Ward/Gaines/Wilks

4. Kyrodis

And i have to reiterate: we're giving up too much.

It's possible to just get Mutombo for Pike alone, or for Pike and AGriff. Why bother getting including Portland and getting Shareef at all? Shareef isn't worth both MoT AND Juwan + Lue.

5. kingxdingaling

Thanks for the reply...I am new to posting and I just wanted to give my 2cents. I was wondering how long does Shareef have on his contract and is it longer and more costly than Howard and MoT combined. If it isn't then I would due this trade.

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

SAR isn't worth giving up both Howard/Taylor. Plus, that would leave us with Spoon as our backup PF, which is even worst than our PF situation from last season.

7. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Since we are posting crazy trades...

Houston trades: PF Maurice Taylor (11.5 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 1.4 apg in 27.8 minutes)
    SF Clarence Weatherspoon (5.0 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 0.6 apg in 16.7 minutes)
    PG Tyronn Lue (10.5 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 4.2 apg in 30.7 minutes)
    1st Round Pick
    Houston receives: PG Jamaal Tinsley (8.3 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 5.8 apg in 26.5 minutes)
    C Scot Pollard (1.7 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 0.2 apg in 11.1 minutes)
    PF Austin Croshere (5.0 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 0.7 apg in 13.7 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: -12.0 ppg, -3.0 rpg, and +0.5 apg.

Indiana trades: PG Jamaal Tinsley (8.3 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 5.8 apg in 26.5 minutes)
    C Scot Pollard (1.7 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 0.2 apg in 11.1 minutes)
    PF Austin Croshere (5.0 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 0.7 apg in 13.7 minutes)
    1st Round Pick
    Indiana receives: PG Derek Fisher (7.1 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 2.3 apg in 82 games)
    C Dampier
    C Evan Eschmeyer (3.1 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 0.4 apg in 44 games)
    Change in team outlook: -4.8 ppg, -2.8 rpg, and -4.0 apg.

Golden State trades: PG Derek Fisher (7.1 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 2.3 apg in 21.6 minutes)
    C Dampier
    C Evan Eschmeyer (3.1 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 0.4 apg in 13.0 minutes)
    Golden State receives: PF Maurice Taylor (11.5 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 1.4 apg in 75 games)
    SF Clarence Weatherspoon (5.0 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 0.6 apg in 52 games)
    PG Tyronn Lue (10.5 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 4.2 apg in 76 games)
    2 First Round Picks
    Change in team outlook: +16.8 ppg, +5.8 rpg, and +3.5 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I used Foyle's salary since Dampier is not listed. I also am assuming the Pike/Griffin/Wilks for Mutombo trade goes through.

HOU:
    Get a legit PG and improves their depth.

Tinsley/Ward/Gaines
    TMac/Sura/Gaines
    JJ/Nachbar/Croshere
    Howard/Pollard/Croshere
    Yao/Mutombo/Pollard

IND:
    Gets a legit center and a playoff proven PG

Fisher/Johnson/Gill
    Jackson/Miller
    Artest/Bender
    O'Neal/Foster/Harrison
    Dampier/Foster/Harrison

GS:
    Decent role players who's contracts end between 1-3 years. Also get 2 first round picks to also help compensate for MoT & Spoon's contracts. Gives them a nice versatile lineup.

Claxton/Lue/Dickau
    JRich/Pietrus
    Dunleavy/Robinson/Murphy
    Murphy/Taylor/Robinson
    Foyle/Davis/Spoon

8. Kyrodis

I think Shareef only has one year left on his contract. The only reason why we'd go after him is for some cap relief in the following season.

Unfortunately, if we get him and he walks (and he most likely will since he'll be the 3rd scoring option here), we're left with Weatherspoon as our starting PF. We'll have the money to attract a free agent PF in 2005, but there are no guarantees.

9. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Aside from the fact we're giving up too much, Portland would never take on the contracts of both Maurice Taylor and Eddie Robinson to get rid of a guy whose contract expires after this season. I can't even imagine them taking on one of those contracts, much less both.

10. kingxdingaling

I know this trade isn't even on the table or in any rumor sections.. but couldn't you sign him to an extension if he does work out before the end of the deadline. I think that he would be easier to deal than a MoT and Howard.

11. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

It is the last year of his contract, but as Gator computed, we'd only be about 3 million under the cap. I'm not sure what kind of PF you'd get for that, but I'm willing to bet, he won't be starter material.

12. kingxdingaling

This is what I am wondering why is everyone so against this trade when a guy like Shareef would be an excellent pick up for the ROX. They would be losing a long term contract w/Mo T and Howard and instead picking up a good 1-2 punch with Yao and Shareef playing both sides of the block. I understand if you were a Blazer fan for not going through with this but as a ROX fan YOU should be all for this...ONCE AGAIN JUST MY 2CENTS.

13. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I'd rather have depth than a player marginally better than Juwan.

my 2 cents.

14. kingxdingaling

Like you said SAR is marginally better than Howard but SAR is in the last year of his contract to where MoT and Howard still have a good 3-5 years left that is going to kill the ROX in the long run. If SAR don't work out then we could deal him out before deadline for much better players than MoT and Howard could give us.

Starters:
    C: Yao/Deke
    PF: SAR/CW/Deke (instead of) Howard/MoT/CW
    SF: JJ/Boki/TM
    SG: TM/Sura/JJ
    PF: Ward/Sura/Gaines/Wilks

If that isn't depth then you tell me what is?

15. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

If SAR can bring in much better players than MoT and Juwan, then Portland wont even consider the deal. I don't want spoon to play 15 mpg. I'd rather have Lue getting Ward's minutes. If we did do the deal and decided to trade SAR, it's highly doubtful we'd be gettting a 4 back in return, unless it's a substantially lesser player. MoT and Juwan's contracts suck, but they aren't "killing" the team, nor will they.

Oh, and lastly, we can't trade Juwan and Lue for a couple of months anyway since we just acquired them in a trade.

I would trade MoT + the TE for SAR, but Portland sure as hell wouldn't.

16. kingxdingaling

Its a three way trade suggested in the first post ... Portland would receive MoT and Eddie Robinson. Howard would be dealt to the Bulls. By the way SAR said that he is willing to hold out on camp if he is not traded. Which would demand Portland to do something and getting Eddie Robinson and MoT doesn't sound too bad for a player that doesn't even want to be there....Look at MIA & La.....Shaq for LO/CB/BG...what kinda trade is that..it could happen if the deal was on the table. or it SHOULD happen if the deal was on the table.

17. DaneB

DaneB Member

No thanks.

18. DaneB

DaneB Member

Click on that link in my sig

19. pangu02

pangu02 Member

This trade would hurt both teams. Jail blazers wants to clear salary cap. They can get deep under the Cap the July. Stoudamire, Van Excel, Ratliff and SAR are all in the last year of their bloated contract. The reason SAR demands a trade is that he only gets less than 20 minutes again back up Randolph. Why would Portland want tow overpaid power forwards with longterm contract to sit on the bench.

As for the Rockets, SAR needs ball to be successful. He's not a blue color worker type of player that Rocket neet. He's a good shooter but not a spot up shooter. He's good rebounder, but average defender. We don't need him.

20. CHAD444

CHAD444 Contributing Member

i have heard it all now!!!!!!!
    if that trade happened we would have to drug test cd and see if he was hanging with ricky williams!!!!!:eek: