1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do you take with you when you work out?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JBIIRockets, Aug 17, 2009.

Tags:
  1. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

This is seriously misinformed. Proper diet is a significantly more crucial factor in achieving your fitness goals than is the actual exercise.

2. Isabel

Isabel Member

You can get workout shorts with pockets in the $5-10 range at Wal-Mart or Target. (I even wear the guys' kind because they're not too short and the pockets are deeper. It's not like anyone knows in the gym.) That works for phone, keys, and ID. I have my iPod in a case that straps to my arm. You do not want to be stuck with the bad oldies and disco they play in my gym.

I don't use a locker... I barely have time to work out as is and I'm not using extra to go to a locker and back. If I need to go swimming or change or something, I usually carry a plastic bag full of stuff which you can put in the little cubbies on the wall. In the winter, everyone's jackets are usually there, and even if you have your backpack they're pretty nice here about letting everyone stack them against the wall where you can see it.

Haven't been carrying a towel - would just use a paper wipe if anything, and usually it's not so crowded that you'll be using the same machine right before or after someone. There's one guy here who thinks he's the towel police, though, and I see a lot of other people bringing them, so I'll need to try to remember before I get kicked out. Finally, if there's anything I need to be studying, I bring it to read on the elliptical. I used to know other people who did that, but not in the past few years. I don't have time to devote to just working out and not doing something else at the same time. Used to catch up with my phone conversations but that's not allowed here.

3. AggieDentist

AggieDentist Member

towel, keys, iPod Nano, and card to get in. leave the wallet and phone in my car.

i hate when ppl carry around their gym bags on the weight room floor. leave that *h1t in the locker room.

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Yup. It's been scientifically proven. You can exersize 7 days a week for like 8 hours per. But if you munch down Mickey D's everyday. You won't do yourself much good.

5. LANIMIRC

LANIMIRC Member

But honestly it depends on what your fitness goals are. In old school book on weightlifting, during the bulk phase, you would eat whatever you wanted. Because your fitness goal was to pack on pounds. And yes it worked. Of course its probably bad for your heart etc etc. But it worked.

We also have Michael Phelps who ate 12000 calories of pizza and pasta a day. But the only reason he could eat that much was because of his workout regimen.

6. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I actually carry a small gym bag with me, b/c the locker I use in the gym has been broken into twice.

I sure as hell don't leave a wallet in the car, since people break into the car as well. Its more common for that to happen in Houston rather than NYC though.

My locker has been broken in the gyms in NYC only though.

7. Omer

Omer Member

I usually take one of these to keep my keys and stuff in.

[​IMG]

Search adidas sackpack if you're interested, only costs like $10 retail.

8. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I don't know if this was intended to disprove my comment about dieting, (if not I apologize), but these examples pretty much prove my point. You are assuming, as are others, that by diet, I am referring to the verb form of the word in 'eating healthy, well balanced, limited' and all that jazz. I am referring to diet in the noun sense - just the established totality of your daily consumption over a set period of time.

Like you said, in the traditional 'bulking' phase, the crucial element is the caloric consumption - the diet. you could have the perfect workout routine, but without adequate intake, you won't accomplish anything. obviously the same and opposite for losing weight.

9. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

I was talking about 'Diet' in the Diet to lose weight sense.

Overall, its about a correct balance, but I would still say its more important to exercise than pay strict attention to your diet.

10. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

Not if you want a body that screams do me. Everybody has a six pack you just have to be at a certain body fat percentage to see it. Of course if you want to build muscles you've gotta consume calories, protein,etc. Personally I'd rather look like Bruce Lee than some than most people at the gym with muscles combined with a considerable amount of fat.

11. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Well there are other ways to see the abs, without having to lower bodyfat. :)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7pVmmsuuc5U&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7pVmmsuuc5U&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

12. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

In order to look like Bruce Lee, you must be Asian first.

13. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Cool, I'm half way there! :)

14. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

key, gym pass/card, iphone, headphones and towel

wallet left in the car i prefer to not have much with me at the gym just cuz its really easy to lose/get stuff stolen when at the gym.

if i play basketball at a gym i actually go back out to my car and leave my phone/headphones in the car and come back so all i leave unattended when playing is my pass and keys

15. Mrs. Valdez

Mrs. Valdez Member

I never work out in a gym, when I exercize I usually walk the Memorial Park route or the Herman Park loop and go through the zoo if I have extra time.

If I don't have pockets in my shorts I try to wear a shirt with a pocket for the mp3 player. But it's somewhat unnecessary since I'm also pushing a double jogging stroller with plenty of room for my water, keys, cell phone, zoo pass, snacks for the kiddos, blanket for the kiddos, toys for the kiddos...

16. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

i started going to 24 hour fitness in january, then in may i strained both my thighs and recessed back in my old ways, today i will be going to the gym again, and hope this time, the routine will stick

because i go to the gym after work and class, i just bring sneakers, shorts, shirt, and a empty gatorade sports bottle

nothing special

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You sprained both thighs at the same time?! I once saw a guy sprain both his ankles somehow. I don't know why but when someone sprains two of something at once it is ridiculously funny to see (sorry man) no matter how serious the injury. I mean... how do you sprain both! Its funny. If it happened to me I'd laugh the second it happened. Pain laugh.