1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do you prefer in a Supreme Court Justice?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by crash5179, Jul 9, 2018.

?

What type of Supreme Court Justice do you prefer?

1. Someone that pushes a political agenda

2. A Textualist

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Considering we are about to find out who the next Supreme Court Justice nominee is, I was just curious what posters preference is?

- Do you prefer someone who will push a political agenda, either left, right, conservative or liberal?
    - Do you prefer a textualist?

My preference is a textualist, someone that reads the constitution and interprets it based on the actually writing and the intent of that writing based on when it was written.

2. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You've presented a deliberate mischaracterization of the options. The other option is someone who views the Constitution as a "living document" that adapts to the times. After all, it was written by political geniuses who would've pooped themselves if they saw an airplane. To treat their words as sacrosanct and unyielding to the modern era is akin to finding the textual justification to create the Republic of Gilead.

Do you believe that any Constitutional amendment after the Bill of Rights should exist? If so, how do you justify their addition, which goes beyond the original intent of the founders?

3. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Correct answer.

4. crash5179

It is not the Supreme Court Justices that write or amend the constitution, that is a different branch of the government.

If the Supreme Court is treating the Constitution of the United States as a living document and changing interpretation based on the current social or political climate they would fall under the group of a Politically Biased Supreme Court Justice. I think that is wrong as it leaves interpretation open to individual bias. That’s why I prefer a textualist.

Textualist example: I may find taking a knee at a football game appalling (which I do) but by my interpretation of the 1st Amendment, any law restricting that action would be un-Constitutional.

Agenda Pushing example: Although my interpretation of the 1st Amendment when it was written protects individuals rights to this type of protest without persecution from government laws, due to the current state of discourse in the country my interpretation would be to find laws restricting this type of protest as constitutional.

Congress can amend the constitution if the need exists (as they have done many times) and sometimes that need does exist.

5. crash5179

Wrong Answer, the Supreme Court is in the Judicial branch of the government and does not amend the constitution, that falls under the Legislative branch of the government (House & Congress).

Space Ghost likes this.
  6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I just got a vision of Ben F taking a **** in his pants at the sound of a helicopter. Thanks for that.

mtbrays likes this.
  7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

There's really no such thing as a "textualist" Supreme Court.

At the end of the day this is people interpreting other people.

There will always be grey area to navigate, no matter how much you think or hope otherwise.

If they navigate the grey area to the left, the right screams activist.

If they navigate the grey area to the right, the left screams activist. (although they really don't, but they should)

Rarely ever do SC justices issue overtly and flagrantly politically motivated rulings.

Since we have a broken political system designed for absolute gridlock and incapable of passing meaningful Constitutional reform, at this point I hope the SC does what is best for the country, not what is best for their job description.

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Hard to take a poll seriously when one of the options is "someone who pushes a political agenda"

9. crash5179

This is one of the scariest videos I’ve seen in a while regarding ignorance and just flat out doubling down on stupidity. All of them claimed to hate the pick for specific reasons. None of them bothered to question if the pick had even been made yet, which of course it hasn’t. When asked what they preferred, one guy only wants a black female; intersectionality at its best.

fiersdownbelow likes this.
  10. crash5179

Why is that? I don’t care which agenda, just an agenda in general.

My point of the poll is that if the correct SCOTUS is selected then it shouldn’t matter what party affiliation they have or what their party’s agenda’s are since their job should be to interpret it as it was intended when it was written. That’s a Textualist.

If you disagree and feel the SCOTUS should interpret based on political affiliation or agendas the you should select option 1 in the poll regardless if you lean left or right.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The correct answer has already been stated in this thread.

The real poll question should be do you want a judge who is completely beholden to guidelines written when buying and selling human beings was legal, and 4 gunshots in a minute was quick fire.

Or do you want a judge that interprets the rules to the best of their ability considering the modern world we live in (not the 18th century). That does not need a political agenda. You poll was deliberately loaded with your option and an option with clearly negative connotations.

12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Presidents from both parties nominate USSC justices with political biases. Trump nominated one with an extreme conservative bias and to date has decided as an extreme conservative that favored republican positions. And it is fully expected that trump will nominate another extreme conservative who will decide with positions that fully favor republican positions.

And... any justice that votes to overturn precedence is doing so with a political agenda and as such is an activist judge.

adoo likes this.
  13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I would prefer a deeply experienced moderate, Judge Merrick Garland.

NewRoxFan likes this.
  14. crash5179

I’ll take your option 1. Not because I believe buying and selling humans should be legal but because it’s the legislative branch to make laws not the Judicial Branch. The 13th Amendment was written and passed by the Legislative Branch of the Government not the Judicial Branch, as it should have been.

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What I would prefer is someone that would help overturn Citizens United, and also overturn the idea that money = free speech.

Those two things have given lobbyists so much power and taken it away from actual people, that the politicians are not the servants of people but of big money interests.

That way we could set a hard limit on how much campaigns could spend. Both sides would spend the same, and it would give more power back to the people of our nation than anything else of which I can think.

It would make politics a much less ugly place, and I believe increase participation in our democracy.

MadMax likes this.
  16. cml750

cml750 Member

I prefer a Constitutional Conservative. Judges should not legislate from the bench.

17. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This answer is a cop out and ignores history. The 13th Amendment was passed after the Civil War when half of the states were being run under Reconstruction-era governments. Do you really think that the 13th Amendment would've passed Congress had the South never seceded?

Our system of checks and balances means that one branch can act to counter obstinance from another. One of the most important examples of this is Brown v. Board of Education. Do you think that the makeup of Congress in the 1950s and 1960s would've allowed legislation that barred "separate but equal" to pass? Should the immorality of that law been allowed to persist for a few more decades, under the assumption that Congress would've eventually gotten around to doing the right thing, or was the Court correct in "legislating from the bench" and finding a violation of the 14th Amendment?

Your false dichotomy in the poll also ignores judicial respect for precedent. It assumes that presidents nominate candidates who have made it far enough in their legal careers to completely ignore precedent in their rulings and still get a SCOTUS nomination. You may see a case like Obergefell v. Hodges as "judicial activism" when, in reality, it was a case carefully built on decades of precedent, beginning with Lawrence v. Texas. In fact, Lawrence should be a case that conservatives applaud because it denied the ability of the state to police the liberty of consenting adults and their private behavior. But the affirmation of that individual liberty was the underpinning of a case that social conservatives eventually came to see as "judicial activism." What was the Court to do when states were actively discriminating against consenting adults whose liberty was upheld in Lawrence? Should they have allowed this dual legal reality to exist in the face of discriminatory state legislatures? This isn't to say that precedent should be binding; obviously, Brown and Lawrence both struck down SCOTUS prior rulings. But those prior rulings (Plessy v. Ferguson and Bowers v. Hardwick) were at one time deemed to be constitutional. Should they have remained intact forever once that was decided according to originalist interpretation?

#17 mtbrays, Jul 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    JumpMan, JayGoogle and DonnyMost like this.
  18. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Agree.

And what many miss, on the Roe v Wade topic, is that a conservative would also highly value precedent (at least a legal conservative would).

personally, I don't think Roe v Wade is going to come up, or get overturned. Saw an analyst yesterday indicate that Obamacare legislation more likely to come up before the SC, and that is where the new justice will likely play a role.

19. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

What was that you were saying? It got drowned out in a sea of political ads....

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  20. crash5179

@cml750 said it perfectly when he said, “Judges should not legislate from the bench.”

cml750 likes this.