1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do you feed your dog(s)?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Surfguy, Apr 25, 2020.

1. CCorn

CCorn Member

For my 14 year old lab I do the iams proactive health mature adult and add liquid Omega 3 and some hip supplements (dasquin). I sometimes give him coconut oil or bacon grease for his coat.

for treats mainly the HEB dental chews, his breath stinks, and then whatever treats come in his chewy box once a quarter. He’s a healthy weight but for a while he was a fat ass so I had to cut the treats.

My labradoodle is still young and can eat 4 cups of food and unlimited treats a day and not gain a pound. They both swim like crazy for exercise.

Surfguy likes this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Speak of the devil... Epic doggy barf meltdown last night -- double barf then dry heaves I think she had too many margaritas with tequila floaters.

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Is it a female lab? How is the lab getting around at that age? I would say mine has some trouble with her hind legs and cannot walk very long distances or will start to drag. She can no longer really jump off her hind legs but steps up on lower height things like a sofa. I’m worried she is just going to tumble one day and not get up. I’ve been down that road before and it sucks.

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

Male. He still has a ton of energy but the day after a long walk/ or swim he won’t move very much. I have a ramp for him to get on places he can no longer reach by jumping.

5. droxford

droxford Member

We have a Maltese-Poodle mix. She gets 3/4 cup if Science Diet dry food a day.

Surfguy likes this.
  6. Mazulis

Mazulis Member

Have two mini schnauzers , feed them raw food . Just because they mini can afford raw food. Give them 4% of dogs body mass so it's 185 grams of meat daily per dog. No overweight problems at all . Per two one raw egg with brown shell ,zucchini 20 grams and cucumber 20 grams, all goes in magic bullet after processed veggies and egg pour everything over meat. Ground meat proportions : lean 65% , fat 15% and 20% liver or heart. If you decide to go raw way it's easy to do in big batches and freeze the food in portions.

Surfguy likes this.
  7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Damn man, can you adopt me? Ill even let you foster first, so you can see my temperament.

SuraGotMadHops, NewRoxFan and Mazulis like this.
  8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I have a 3 year old Lab-Pei (Lab/Shar Pei mix) and we just feed him the grocery store food. He's as strong as an ox and has endless energy. Took him for a checkup over Spring Break and he's 100% healthy.

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

raw meat from the butcher is the best thing you can feed your dog

10. SuraGotMadHops

Our mini dachsund mix eats the Kirkland brand chicken and pea formula dry dog food, moistened with some water. Any ice cubes that fall on the floor are all hers. Occasionally she will receive some cooked meat as a treat, but rarely.

11. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Victor Grain Free dog food for my 9 year old Boxer. I discovered this after she had her third case of massive diarrhea years ago which Boxers are known for. Fixed that immediately and it gets a 5 star rating on pet foods. I can only find it at feed stores. I also boil dark meat chicken once a week and save the broth. Pour some broth over the hard food, I shred the chicken with pork shredders and add the chicken in. I also buy the frozen green beans and make a weeks worth to add those to her food as well. I started this in December after a blood test and her coat is now super shiny, very soft and her energy level has gone through the roof. NEVER give her table scraps and every Friday night she gets a Bully Stick from Natural Paws.

I also grill Salmon twice a week and she gets her own little steak all chopped up and mixed in. Her favorite meal by far but the breath after, ugh.

12. Buck Turgidson

Table scraps and some fancy kibble

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

#33 heypartner, Apr 27, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  14. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Mine is a red bag. 30 lbs for $42.99 and every sixth bag is free with my stamp card.

Edit- its also not the high energy listed there as she sleeps 20 hours a day.

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Looks like that stamp card is a deal.

Just curious, is it not listed in the link at bottom of my post, above? (curious, cause i'm interested when pet stores/feed stores actually underprice Amazon.)

#35 heypartner, Apr 27, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  16. PhiSlammaJamma

I wouldn't feed that dog with a 6 foot pole, due to the social distancing laws.

Xerobull likes this.
  17. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I think I've been giving my dog too many table scraps. She's funny cause I let her out to do her business. She will go pee and then she will start the slow walk back. Sometimes, she'll just stop...turn around...and immediately rush back to the grass to drop some turds. Sometimes, she goes right on the paved walk because she doesn't have time to get to the grass.

So, last night, she jumps off the bed when about to go to sleep mode for the night. I know that means she immediately needs to go outside and I'm literally running to let her out. But, she barely makes it to the back door and is already dropping turds as she's walking before I can even get the door open. This has happened a few times.

I'm not sure but I think the added table scraps are causing more instant bowel movements. LOL. But, she gives me hell if I don't give her something. And, she gives me the sad face staring at me. Sometimes she just barks at me constantly. I can't eat a meal in peace. SIGH! If I yell at her "NO!!!" not to come over and hover in front of me while I eat, then she gives me the sad face and moves off to the side but still stares at me. Last night, I gave her some plain angel hair pasta clumps while I ate angel hair pasta with added basil pesto. So, she gets her normal dinner meal and instantly follows me to hover while I eat my meal. How much food can that stomach hold?

#37 Surfguy, Jun 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2020