1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do ya'll see Boki's role being next season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jauquinsux, May 20, 2003.

1. Jauquinsux

Jauquinsux Member

Ok I dont know about you, but I liked what the guy had to offer. This type of **** only happens on the Rockets. Rookies get stuck at the end of the bench. I remember when Kenny Thomas was riding the pine until injury problems came along. Nachbar was avgeraging the lowest mpg of any first round draft pick last season. How does Rudy expect players to ever grow if they never play. That's why players always "break out" when they leave the Rockets. I dont know how he performs in practice, but this guy needs a shot. The Rockets could have a nice bench right now if players like Maddox,Nachbar and Morris go more experience.

Bench: Maddox, Boki, Morris, Rice, Cato, instead of...

Rice, Cato, Taylor, and sometimes Morris.

Taylor needs to be in the East.
    Moochie should be cut!!!
    Bring in Paul Silas

2. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

If Rudy is the coach, Boki will probably sit on his ass doing nothing.

What was up with Rudy saying last year that Boki was essentially our lottery pick for this year? If that was the case, why not just let Boki play in Europe last year to refine some skills instead of sitting on the Rockets bench just wasting away.

3. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Contributing Member

i saw boki play. and i think he got skills. hes a good slasher and has a good perimeter game.. i think rudy needs to use boki and give him some experience. i mean, boki is just for pick up games and practice.. wth?! boki got skills. point blank. rudy is wasting a talent on the bench.

4. Rockets_Truth

Rockets_Truth Contributing Member

Rice will be another year older and even slower this upcoming season. Im hoping it will be Boki's breakout season and he gets at least 15-20 minutes a game playing time.

5. luckystrikes

luckystrikes Member

Boki's ass will start to grow roots as he becomes one with the cold wooden bench that once again is his future. Then he'll get cut after next season, and in a few years the BBS will be the ONLY people who ever knew he even existed.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Everyone knows that European rookies should be benched all season. I mean look at Ginobli for the Spurs, he hasn't done....I'm sorry, what? Oh.

Nevermind.

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I am not sure what exactly Nachbar's role will be next season but I know the role *I* would love to see him fill. And that is someone that comes off the bench to be an energy guy that runs the floor, finishes on the break and gives us instant offense off the bench. I think it is obvious that he is not going to bring defense to the team so his offense has to see some production.

If Nachbar's specialty is indeed slashing to the basket and finishing on fast breaks then we need to have an offense that PROMOTES slashing to the basket and have people willing and able to make those passes. We have to be able to generate more fast breaks to get Nachbar in the open court.

The way our offense is set up right now to be honest I am not sure it really fit's Nachbar's game. This team needs to tweak the offense to maximize Nachbar's talents and get him involved.

8. zzhiggins

zzhiggins Member

The Spurs drafted Ginobli in 1999 and let him play in Europe till this year before signing him. Boki probably needed the same seasoning.
    Ginobili was the 2nd to last pick in the draft and its probable the Spurs knew little about him. The players drafted near him have long been forgotten.
    Sports Illustrated had him listed as a power fwd.

9. a la rockets

a la rockets Contributing Member

I say we do the same with that tall(6'6) Slovinian PG guy in the 2nd round.In a year or 2 he can come over from Italy and be Francis's perfict side kick!
    Plus he'd actually able to COMMUNICATE with Boki!

ALA

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Interesting, I didin't realize that. All I know is that watching him in the playoffs has really made me question Boki warming pine all season. The spurs took a chance and gave him PT over a proven veteran in Steve Smith if I'm not mistaken. Obviously it has paid off. Everything Ginobli does is what the Rockets told us Boki can do, ie. slash to the hole, sweet jumper, lot's of energy etc.

But like Deuce says, that might not fit our "offense". The 3 spot is probably the least important position in the Rockets wonderful ISO offense. All the 3 is asked to do is stand on the 3 point line and wait for an outlet pass, then jack it up. Too bad...

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Boki has more experience than Eddie Griffin.

Yet, Rudy played EG even though he SUCKED.

I think Boki has skills and is a good passer and slasher. I also think Rudy gets something in his mind and sticks to it, no matter what.

It was a wasted year for Boki....he should have played.

DD

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Boki needs to get in line behind Yoa and Griffin, waiting on the Rocks O to change to take advantage of their skillz.

I would not mind trading the Bokster at this point. the Rocks at the 3 are so deep I don't see Boki coming up for air for years.

Of course if the Rocks trade Rice (but not for a 3) and do a sign-and-trade with Posey (again not for a 3), Boki and TMo could split the minutes at the 3. I am not holding my breath.

13. CrazyJoeDavola

Although we haven't seen him play, I get the feeling that Boki is a bust. Rudy has a history of sitting rookies at the start of the year and then playing them later on once they prove themselves in practice (Horry, Cassell, etc.). IMO, Boki wasn't showing anything in practice, otherwise, you would have to think that he would get a legit opportunity for some PT.

14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

rudy said that they were gonna shelf boki last year, so they can feel like they got a first round pick this year.

thats great, but doesn't rudy like to shelf rookies too?

posey will be re-signed and will play about 30 minutes a game. rice will be the back-up again and due to age will only play about 12 MPG. the extra time will go to Tmo who is a FA this summer and needs to be promised PT to sign a longer contract with us.

15. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Are we really that deep? Is signing Posey a foregone conclusion? Rice is going to have some serious trade appeal next year for teams that want to get under the cap for the following year. And from what I've seen from Boki, he's not ready for prime time. Maybe he just needs to be thrown in the mix, but I don't think we're really all that deep at the three.

Rice is a GREAT player for the Rockets---just not at his current price tag. Unfortunately, with an expiring contract, he's going to probably be more valuable as a trade commodity. I wish we could keep him...at like a mid-level exception price tag, but he's probably on his way out next year.

16. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1. KT played in 72 games his rookie year and averaged 25 mpg as a 39% shooting PF. Sure, at the very beginning he was on the bench...are you saying he should have been playing more when Barkley was healthy?

2. Nachbar was also coming off a fairly serious injury and, apparently, it was understood that this year would be a wash.

3. What players have the Rockets drafted, not played much(or left on the bench), and have since gone on to "break out" for another team? Name one.

17. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Maybe he means Dan Langhi :eek:

18. Ming the Dream

Ming the Dream Contributing Member

There has to be a reason Boki didn't play this year.Do you guys honestly think that we wouldn't have played a guy who is supposed to have a killer shot with all the shooting problems we had??? Imo it is pretty obvious that he must either a)be the worst defender of all times(beating out G.Rice) or b)was a little bit overhyped when we got him. I am choosing the latter, and will be suprised if the european "cult-hero" gets anymore time on the court this year than next.

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Yet another reason to trade him ... He has trade value now. He might not have much value latter if he sees no PT this next year or does not excel in the PT he gets.

I would be very surprised if the Rocks were not entertaining offers for the Bokster as we speak ...

20. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Maddox is gone. Boki may just still suck at this point. Next year we will have a better sense about him.

BTW your handle is LAME and you should change it. I'll bet a $1000 you Hawkins could wipe the floor with you. Picking on a guy thrilled to be in the NBA who is our 11th man or something and works hard for us and does not complain about his role just IS NOT cool.