1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do we give up for Anthony Davis?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Landry's Tooth, Apr 7, 2022.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

not sure what this post means

wood doesn't fit the rockets rebuild timeline, so long term he should really factor into those plans. and tate is the same age which is my point

2. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

The NBA is a different animal. If you're 7'1 and lean, naturally you're taller than all of your opponents in college and lesser leagues, so it does not take much to put up impressive numbers, i.e, rebounds, blocks, points around the rim and if you work on your outside shot, you can hit a decent percentage from 3.

But when you get in the league, you have multiple 6'10", 6'11" and 7'ft players, except if you're the Rockets, who can play. That's why the aforementioned players do not make it. Not that I'm down on Chet, I just think he has those same traits as Bol Bol, Zhou Qi and Thon Maker.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

merely comparing players by what they look like and not diving into their actual play as basketball players are horrible takes tbh. always has been

Nook and cmoak1982 like this.
  4. TimDuncanDonaut

Not big on AD as others said but as far as matching salary of someone in his salary bracket, we have couple guys who add up well.

--------------------
    AD - 36 mil (4 years)

Wood - 13.6
    Gordon - 18.2
    KPJ - 1.8 (not needed but will throw it in)
    Total $33.6
    -----------------------

Trade machine had Lakers +10 wins and us -28 wins. Jokes on the because we don't even have 28 wins with these three guys.

Wood and Gordon will help them now. Make something of that Lebron year. KPJ can help them play 'point' :p. On paper, Lakers Nation think AD should fetch more, but they should look in the mirror. Plus with KPJ, Wood and Gordon, their contracts can lead to Lakers make other moves.

And on this rebuild, some Rocket fans have moved on. A three-for-one opens more roster spots. For the Rockets, the question is what can AD really do for us. o_O. Is he gonna be like Kevin Love. An expensive injury prone big off the bench. During practice helps Sengun and Chet get better like Mutumbo to Yao.

By the time the young core ascends to playoff how broken down will AD by then.

#84 TimDuncanDonaut, Apr 8, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
    joshuaao likes this.
  5. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

I’m the original. No spaces and no exclamation point!!! The rest are copy cats.:)

xaos likes this.
  6. Landry's Tooth

It's a fair point. My point was Tate isn't about to be displaced by a top 5 pick like Wood may be.

Tate might be the long term 3. Wood is unlikely to be long term 4 if they pick up a Jabari Smith or Chet...

7. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Not necessarily. Teams have been drafting players based upon the body type for years, most notably; the Lakers, the Bulls and the Rockets.

Daryl Morey was known for drafting SMALL PFs and Guards. The Lakers and Bulls under Phil Jackson loved big guards and forwards.

I just think Chet is too lite in the ass. It's just my personal opinion but if the Rockets draft him, I will root for him like crazy.

8. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

-8 means you get to apply those 8 losses to next year's team for lottery purposes and they are bankable. Say we win -8 next year and -2 the following year but break through and win +30 the third year. Well, that year our cumulative -10 would turn +30 into +20 for lottery positioning. I'm pretty sure that's right, but I'm too busy with taxes to find the citation.

Nook and Os Trigonum like this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

why wouldn't he? Tate plays in the frontcourt. His minutes will be impacted by any of those choices. He isn't a 3, not when he can't really shoot. and he isn't much of a long term option just like wood isn't

HorryForThree likes this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

its basketball. of course guys with length get drafted. It's something you can't teach. that will never change

11. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

What would be the point of holding onto him? Clearly, Davis and Sengun would both be prioritized over him. If we get a good pick, then we're drafting Chet or Smith, both likely to be ahead of Tate on the depth chart. Then you have KJ who will continue to get minutes, and Garuba who might improve this offseason (who knows, anything can happen). In either case, I don't see a clear role for Tate if we were to make such a trade. And I imagine we'd have to move with a piece like Tate if we really want to make this deal.

12. Landry's Tooth

Ive always thought of tate as a tweener like Martin who could be a good role player off the bench long term but still a starter the next couple of years until a star displaces him...

I wouldn't mind Patrick Williams somehow at the 3...

13. Landry's Tooth

I'm not sure why 6'4" 230 is a backup pf in most matchups. I'd have to check; but that seems like claiming Iguodala is a 4 because they might go small sometimes...

14. Nook

Nook Member

Good ole Marshon "street clothes" Davis..... will be 30 next year too..

15. Nook

Nook Member

I say we do it....

We can deal Jalen Green for Davis and roll out a team with....

C- Alpo Sengun
    PF - Marshon Davis
    SF - Tate
    SG - Joe Johnson
    PG - Eric Gordon

16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Hey at least we'd get Victor Wembanyama with that group amirite!

Nook likes this.
  17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I do it in a second. Those draft picks aren’t worth that much and Tate is the only vet in the trade even worth a second thought and he will be like an 8/9 player on the bench when we get good. If AD gets hurt next year then we still own our 2023 pick and the tank can begin in earnest. A lineup of KPJ, Green, Jabari or Chet, AD, Sengun is playoff worth and you still have depth with KJM, Jaygup, Garuba, Bruno, Nix. When AD was healthy the Lakers won the championship. He is a hell of a player, albeit injury prone.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

didn't realize hell be 30 next season. literally made of glass in his 20s. boy wonder what the 30s life is going to be like for him

a trade for him 100% makes 0 sense

Nook likes this.
  19. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

20. Landry's Tooth

The way i look at AD is you write him off for 35 ganes a year and just hope he's there for playoffs...

Drafting a big with a top 3 pick and Sengun allows you to treat AD as a luxury, not a necessity...

Then we fill in a max free agent at the one or three a year from now with our 2023 pick addressing the other...

Rebuild done...

AD falls off the books when it's time to pay our guys... that's the real team MVP there... luxury tax savings...