1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do we give up for Anthony Davis?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Landry's Tooth, Apr 7, 2022.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

if we lose 28 wins from this season's 20 wins, does that mean we'll owe the NBA eight more losses the following season? I'm confused

AroundTheWorld and cmoak1982 like this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

AD is declining, always injured, and takes teams nowhere as the best player

not surprised people would want to trade for him…they probably want Dame too

smh

3. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

hell no. they'd be fleecing us. he's damaged goods. i would do that trade with no picks attached/. he aint worth that he'll be on street clothes.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

If you're going to spend players/assets on an NBA big with injury concerns who has suited up for the Pelicans Anthony Davis is not the right answer.

cmoak1982 and YOLO like this.
  5. Pete Coldcut

Pete Coldcut Member

the real question is what do you give up for westbrook

J Sizzle likes this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

4 1st round picks and cp3

[​IMG]

7. Pete Coldcut

Pete Coldcut Member

8. SummitKid83

SummitKid83 Member

Man just trust the process.Sheesh.We are building young stars here.Im done with the Daryl Morey mentality.We wont need Davis if we have a budding Jabari Smith or Banchero.Davis is 6"10 so are these guys.Period the end.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Aren't you due for a trip to the dentist?

;-)

10. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I get the hesitation, but let's not suffer recency bias. Remember that Christian Wood is an oft-injured big man as well who is only two years younger than AD. Remember that until the last two years, AD was pretty steady on the court and reliable. I think AD's injuries have been legitimate and pretty difficult ones to see, but I also think he can recover from them in a good offseason.

I understand that we're in year two of a rebuild. But if we get a top pick (which, we should be guaranteed a top-5 here soon), we have Green as part of our backcourt, and other young players emerging like Christopher, etc. alongside the Brooklyn pick this coming draft which will be top-20, then how many more seasons do we tank? I'm not trying to rush the rebuild. What I'm doing is what many teams, including our own, have done in the past, which is capitalizing on young role players who have shown a spark and cobbling them together for a disgruntled star.

A package I've suggested that would at least get in the ballpark would be Wood, Gordon, Tate, Matthews, the Milwaukee FRP (protected), and a second protected FRP. Wood and Gordon won't be with this team long term anyways. Tate is a difficult piece to part with, but with a likely big drafted, Sengun being inserted into the starting lineup, and the continued emergence of KJ, his role next year might well be limited compared to this and last season. Matthews is a nice three and d player, but not irreplaceable, and his role will be lessened next season as well post draft (as it was towards the end of the season with Christophers great play). Milwaukees pick next season is likely to be bottom-5 as they've shown to be very good and capable even with Giannis out (which is the type of scenario that we might be looking out for to make the pick more valuable), and a second protected pick (maybe one of BKN's, who knows) isn't a crazy haul. You're going to have to give up something to get something, and if nothing else this could be a "buy low sell high" scenario where AD kills it with us for a season and we can swing him for considerably more than we got him for.

I'm not convinced this is the right move, and definitely am not all-in on AD, but I think the benefits are worth considering, even at market value nd knowing the risks.

11. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

I wouldn’t take him at all.. we young and rebuilding.

draft bpa this year.
    Trade wood/ Gordon/ wall ( if possible)
    Go to war for next couple years

kpj ( wish we could trade him )
    Green
    Tate
    Sengun
    Chet

or

kpj
    Green
    Smith
    Sentun
    Bruno

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nice April Fool's thread

13. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

How long have you been a Laker's Fan?

14. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

You can't go to WAR with Chet....too lite! I see too much resemblance to Bol Bol, Zhou Qi and all other 7'1, 199 lbers

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

so Victor Wembayama shouldn't be considered a top pick like he is right

cmoak1982 likes this.
  16. Landry's Tooth

I wouldn't move Tate because he has long term value... ok with Wood and Gordon because they aren't much different age wise to Davis.

17. xaos

xaos Member

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

Tate is the same age as wood

19. Landry's Tooth

Just personal philosophy... it's ok to have young guys but a lot of teams like the Hornets, Wolves, etc. have perpetually added young talent but didn't see much improvement until they injected some veterans to fill in gaps.

I think there definitely could be better options than Davis but they may cost us our entire draft pick inventory so there's the trade off of buying low on a guy who can't stay healthy and you don't need for 82 games if you have Sengun and Jabari...

Show me a player at the 1, 3, or 4 that's a proven star and in their mid 20s... then tell me what they cost us in trade...

20. Landry's Tooth

Understand but wood plays a position where we're likely using our top pick...

Tate could still be a long term starter.. Davis is a part time player, Wood isn't (theoretically).