1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do the Rockets need to do to become legit contenders?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Swishh, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Swishh

Swishh Member

[​IMG]

2. Nook

Nook Member

Anyone pushing for any of the following is wasting their time:

1. New offensive system/philosophy
    2. New head coach
    3. Trade Harden or Howard

3. Swishh

Swishh Member

That has to happen for this team to be real contenders though. I feel like there's no chance of that happening this season though. Next season, with a full training camp sounds much more likely.

4. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Let's just wait and see what Morey gets us for Asik or in the coming trade. Hopefully those pieces help us get the flow going. Tj had played well but couple of games he hasnt shown. So some good pieces for now like a back up Center and a PF.

And maybe another coach like George Karl he can play up tempo like he was in Denver and get in players faces to tell them to up their effort and energy on defense or offense.

They need to move the ball more when we get assist we win too. the ball moves around and opens up the court. when is not the offense stagnates and is slow too.

Better point guard idk i like lin and pat but Lin gets lost in some days and Pat plays way to energetic and tends to make dumb mistakes like fouling after a good play. he needs to slow down too.

and i think if we stop turning the ball over so much we would be better too.
    They tend to make unnecessary passes. they force the pass or want to make a hard pass. those turnover could be fix easily.

5. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

oh i forgot shoot better on the free throws. its so annoying and frustrating that howard has had better shooting at the Ft. well at least in a way coz he is a 50% shooter and makes more than the other guys sometimes.

also the 3 point shooting has been bad. like we had had few games we had shoot well from down town.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

First of all play a lot better, like a champion for starters night in night out

7. SugarLandDream8

They need a vet who is a vocal leader who will motivate the team and also make everyone play with more effort. A Kevin Garnett type player during his first 3 years with the Celtics.

8. Yohohoho

Yohohoho Member

With the Asik trade, include someone who can lead our bench.

9. Raven

Raven Member

These are men not chess pieces. Make the deals you have to make, and then keep the roster together through next season. I don't care how much talent you have, you need chemistry, and constantly fiddling with the rotation kills any chance of chemistry developing.

10. thebeardedwon

thebeardedwon Member

they just need to stay healthy

11. SugarLandDream8

1 and 2 might be changing if this season doesn't result in at least 1 playoff series win.

Les doesn't like to fire coaches. He just doesn't extend their contracts when it expires.

12. Play07

Play07 Member

dream said Lin & Howard combo will be deadly.

I would've liked to see that with Lin & hardens mins staggered & learning to play together before I can answer this question entirely

13. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

Excellent point. If you look at the top teams in the league, this is very true. Unfortunately, most GMs seem to be in a win now mode, which is fine but this seldom seems to work out. The teams which have been together longer seem to always be on the top like the Spurs, the Heat, OKC, etc.

14. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Make free throws, limit turnovers, stay healthy & play with passion...& Trade Omer ASAP.

15. impressivegol

impressivegol Member

Think it's very simple:

Health
    Less turnovers

When did a team that led the league in turnovers make finals? A consistent problem with Mchale, who I do think could be upgraded, but that's another topic...

16. impressivegol

impressivegol Member

Sorry one more thing -- Better FT shooting!!

17. il italiano

il italiano Member

i think rondo could solve a lot of the issues we have. we would be more efficient and consistent on offense. He is also a leader and has an edge to him that i think this team needs. we wont be playing "down" to the level of our opponents n lose to crappy teams like the kings.

also george karl... :)

18. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

spending more than 1 game with our entire roster healthy could go a long way

19. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Even by adding a max player or the best center in NBA, we are the same team from last season.

Same offensive efficiency.

Slightly improvement in defense.

Same results.

Sad but true.
    ----------------------------------------
    Sx4 FTW!

20. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Coach & Chemistry