1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do the Clippers do now?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, May 17, 2015.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If you were Ballmer, what do you do?

My thoughts:

1. Re-sign DeAndre Jordan to whatever contract that he wants. Offer him the 5 year max, or a shorter term deal if he prefers that. He is an asset even at the max salary given his production and the rising cap trends.

2. Hire a legit GM to work alongside Doc Rivers. There is too much work involved (cap management, scouting pros and college players, etc.) in the GM job for Doc to both be a GM and work through the coaching grind. You also need someone to think a little bit long-term rather than worry primarily about the next game.

3. Take chances are some younger guys who may be undervalued, and hope that it works out.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I did not follow the Clips so I have been dismissive about the fact that he is both a GM and a head coach

Friggin hire someone there....

3. dream2franchise

They need to go hard after Aminu. That 3 spot is disastrous.

Keep the Blake, Paul, Griffin core. They aren't the issue.

4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I don't know, but I heard they are more talented and better than the Rockets, so I guess they should be fine.

3 people like this.
  5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

They wasted their MLE on Spencer Hawes in the off season. They need some depth. This is where a good GM would help them a lot. The Clippers were head and shoulders better than us last season and what closed the gap this season all has to do with Morey being a zillion times better as a GM as Doc.

6. dream2franchise

Meant the DJ, Paul, Griffin core. Obviously.

Also...yeah not caring too much. They should all go East.

7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

they are the bestest and the talenter team so no changes necessary, except for maybe trading for patrick patterson

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

They have a very well constructed team on paper, it's hard to say where they went wrong. Depth seems like their biggest problem, they just need more impact players off the bench, more energy and focus.

9. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

Go fishin.....

10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

MLE for Aminu?

Clippers are good but Barnes was just horrible.

11. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

Hire a GM. Keep Paul / Griffin / Jordan. Get some role players. They are not far from being a contender.

12. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Hawes is complete garbage

13. malakas

malakas Member

lol not only that.
    Doc ended up trading : Bledsoe + 2017 pick=>Reddick
    They only have a pick in 2016. None in 2015 or 2017. Even the Nuggets GM who doesn't know the CBA is better than Doc. He's only behind Billy King.

They should fire him from GM first and foremost. But I hope not because Doc is the gift that keeps on giving.

14. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Right now lick their own bitter tears off of each other.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I doubt they want him back. He's a very limited player that can't shoot worth a dime (except for playoff series against the Rockets).

Blazers fans are sooo glad Hawes visited Portland and left without a contract. At the time it was a downer for them to settle for the Caveman, who turned out quite well for them.

16. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

1- Signing Deandre is not even a question

2- Too many two-guards that dont offer anything outside of offense - Rivers, Crawford, Reddick. I would look to move one of them alongside Barnes and get a legit SF that can defend.

Problem for them is they have no draft picks and no cap space with all the money they have tied up in CP3, Griffin, and Jordan. Offensively they arent a bad team, but defensively they really struggle outside of Jordan and Reddick/Crawford/Austin dont help the cause. Not sure how much teams will be willing to give up for their 'extra' guys, but you'd have to hope somethings out there.

And like OP said, maybe you start scouring the D League, etc. hoping to land somebody because you just cant go into a season again banking on 7 guys to run your postseason and that three of them will virtually do the same thing, i.e. shoot whenever they get it to try and score. If I'm the clips I also look for veteran talent that has been deep to the playoffs and can give me solid moments in the playoffs a la Terry, Pierce, Miller, etc.

Who knows, maybe an Elton Brand? Tayshaun Prince? I really dont know who they'll look for, but that's the general genre I'd be looking for if I was them...

Last note: if I were the GM, out of the 3 I mentioned, I'd probably lean towards trading Austin Rivers. You're not going to get much for Reddick I imagine, Crawford will not return what he's worth as he's much better than ppl give credit for, and Rivers being the youngest and showcasing his skills in the playoffs will likely warrant some interest. Also, I personally would have some issues with a father-son coach-player relationship, but thats just me.

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I actually thought Reddick played very good defense on Harden...

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

That backcourt of Barnes and reddick is terrible so improve that. Sign deandre to the max but not sure what to do after that without high draft picks

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

They could turn this around by convincing a contributor to come for the MLE, and trading Hawes for someone that can contribute.

20. malakas

malakas Member

Don't worry about the Clips capspace. The new cap rise will come to the rescue. Their problem is how much will be Paul's gradual downfall because he will be what? 31 next season?