1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do people think about Bitcoin?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Spooner, Jan 25, 2014.

?

What is the fate of Bitcoin?

1. Currency of the future

35.0%
  2. Passing Fad

65.0%
  1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

What "many of the same issues" are you talking about?

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Graebers 'Debt: The First 5000 years' really helped me understand money.
    Lyn Alden and her merry circle has greatly helped me the current economic environment.
    Jeff Snider has given me a much better understanding of global/macro economics.
    Bitcoin essentially fell in place. There have been many Bitcoin narratives propagated by Bitcoin Maxis that have largely been inaccurate and IMO have really hurt the cause.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

4. PatBev

PatBev Member

You boys ever heard of Hedera?

5. Sajan

Sajan Member

Most addresses holding bitcoin (BTC), the largest cryptocurrency, are now in the red, the first time that's happened since the start of the coronavirus-induced crash of March 2020.

• Just over 51%, or 24.6 million addresses of the total 47.9 million, are below purchase price on their investments, according to data provided by blockchain analytics firm IntoTheBlock. About 45% are in the money, which means they are boasting unrealized gains, while the rest are roughly at break-even
    https://www.coindesk.com/markets/2022/11/21/more-than-50-of-bitcoin-addresses-are-now-in-loss/

6. Invisible Fan

Death spiral status if Saylor (13k margin call on some loans) and GBTC (lower discount, no proof of reserve) goes splat.

Oh right, Mt Gox settlement and that FBI Silk Road money...

CCity Zero likes this.
  7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

neither of these change the fundamental nature of bitcoin, or its value proposition

DonnyMost and Invisible Fan like this.
  8. Invisible Fan

For disclosure, I'm not a skeptic. More a degen speculator who reacts off what the current narrative is.

BTC looks like a nice hedge for the dollar, but it's currently acting like every other currency out there. I'm not sure how folks can explain that other than it being held up by "dumb and smart" tradfi money.

jiggyfly and CCity Zero like this.
  9. Invisible Fan

For GBTC, is it "not your keys, not your coin", or... "not my coin, not my keys, but I know a guy that says I have'm"

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/coinbase-custody-holds-635-000-152904175.html
    Coinbase Custody Trust, the institutional investment arm of Coinbase Global, holds 635,000 BTC on behalf of Grayscale Bitcoin Trust, according to a note by Coinbase Custody CEO Aaron Schnarch. Digital investment firm Grayscale has also declined to share proof of reserves, citing security concerns.

Fast facts
    • Coinbase Custody also holds over three million ETH for Grayscale Ethereum Trust, and 11.9 million ETC on behalf of Grayscale Ethereum Classic Trust, as of Sept. 30, according to the note that came as investors are increasingly concerned about the potential contagion of FTX’s collapse.
    • Grayscale shared the note from Coinbase Custody as “investors are understandably inquiring deeper into their crypto investments” due to recent events, according to Grayscale’s tweet, which highlighted the safety and security practices of the company’s digital asset products.
    • The digital investment giant wrote that “Coinbase frequently performs on-chain validation,” but will not release a cryptographic proof-of-reserve due to “security concerns.”
    • “We know the preceding point, in particular, will be a disappointment to some,” wrote Grayscale but added that investor panic was no reason to “circumvent complex security arrangements that have kept our investors’ assets safe for years.”
    • Grayscale’s digital asset products are set up as separate legal entities, which “prohibit the digital assets underlying the products from being lent, borrowed, or otherwise encumbered.”

10. Commodore

11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Well, ****. Now that Abbot is endorsing BTC & blockchain, we know it's a scam.

clos4life likes this.
  12. Invisible Fan

BTC dun scam people.

People scam people.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I don't think people understand just how significant Bitcoin is for the greenification of our power grid.

Energy is valuable, but if it can't be stored or transported easily, it loses value quickly. This is the renewable dilemma. That high sudden throughput of solar, wind, or hydro energy just goes to waste if it isn't immediately leveraged by a consumer and the producer of said energy is left with 0 value for their effort.

Insert Bitcoin. Now you have 24/7/365 incentive to create/leverage renewable energy. That wasted throughput that would have resulted in 0 dollars for the producer before can now be used for Bitcoin instead. This forms a race to the top for energy producers to create as many renewable energy sources as possible.

Kim likes this.
  14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

If I'm understanding you correctly....

Mining would be done on "excess" energy generation. If there isn't a legal requirement to restrict usage above excess generation, mining is a negative (higher cost, more strain on the power grid). That's an interesting concept. I think the renewable sector would be totally on board if the excess is only from renewable and not "dirty" sources. This means very specific and focused regulation toward one industry - mining. Kind of a weird model but seem to be workable until storage technology is here. At that time, it might be a negative pull. I like it.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Right now people only mine BTC using 'dirty' fuel because it is cheaper for them (or in some cases their only option).

However, what my post above is trying to explain is that BTC incentivizes green energy creation thereby reducing its cost.

Fossil fuels have always had the leg up on green energy because they store and transport better. Now that's irrelevant because renewable energy has Bitcoin as a buyer of last resort. This is why whenever BTC started exploding you saw green energy production ramp up all over the world (an important factor increasing green energy availability), because if I can turn a free, boundless energy source (wind, solar, etc) into lots of money (BTC) I am damn sure going to do so.

This is the positive feedback loop/race to the top BTC creates for renewables.

16. Commodore

I'm not sure the economics will play out this way.

The downtime of using an unreliable energy source like wind/solar might outweigh the benefit of it being a "free" source of energy.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

It all depends on the price of bitcoin. If bitcoin has no adoption and the price remains low, that reduces the incentive to produce renewable energy.

18. Commodore

hodling is simple, but incredibly difficult

few have the mental fortitude to not capitulate (and to continue accumulating) in the red years

but if you can do it, you will outperform everything else

[​IMG]

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Everyone likes to say the hard part is selling when you're up. In reality it's holding when you're dead. This is why paper trading is a waste of time IMO.

dmoneybangbang and CCity Zero like this.
  20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

This. Paper trading is good to learn the platform you're trading on, and that's about it. It definitely doesn't teach you emotions.