1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

What do people think about Bitcoin?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Spooner, Jan 25, 2014.

?

What is the fate of Bitcoin?

1. Currency of the future

35.0%
  2. Passing Fad

65.0%
  1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

More like what didn't happen...

Ubiquitin likes this.
  2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

There is strong support at 29k. If you're not buying at 30k, you should probably wait until it gets down to 24k.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

We're about halfway between the last halving and the next, which is where we've typically seen the most draw down, so, this is not super surprising I suppose. I was hopeful we'd hit 100K during late last year's bull run, but it didn't happen. I was also hoping the new floor would be that 50-60K range, but instead it looks like it's gonna hover around 30-40K until the next halving and then pop again in Summer 2024. Will be interesting timing as that will be right in the middle of election season, so the topic will likely get some attention during the debates/campaign. In the meantime, it's a good opportunity to accumulate.

Ubiquitin and Invisible Fan like this.
  4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Over/under Michael Saylor kills himself.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  5. Invisible Fan

fwiw, I bought into the 100k prophecy too.

With credit tightening everywhere, I would be cheaper with my powder at this moment and wait for consolidation after a couple bounces.

DCA with smaller portions if you're a short term optimist.

https://time.com/nextadvisor/investing/cryptocurrency/bitcoin-price-history/
    Bitcoin’s price moved sideways during this time, with a few small spikes. The highest peak was in January 2018, around $17,527. The lowest dip was around $3,236 in December 2018.

“I went from having millions of dollars in crypto, to having a couple of hundred thousand,” Merchan recalls.

At the end of 2019, Bitcoin’s price was about $7,200.
    80% swing from a then ath high to low with a doubling of that low a year later.

I guess that's when Goldman and friends swoop in after roasting retail, right maxis?

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

7. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Just print money

9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

10. Xerobull

11. Space Ghost

When Lambo season?

Invisible Fan likes this.
  12. Xerobull

Down payment this winter.

Random: I was driving in Alvin the other day and saw a girl, maybe 20, with white hair, yellow eyeshadow and pancake makeup driving a red Lambo.

13. Space Ghost

14. Space Ghost

15. Major

Major Member

I'm curious what the benefits have been so far. The President has drained their treasury and caused their bond rates to skyrocket (and likely default eventually). He's locked his country out of international financing due to the risk levels. His Bitcoin bond got scrapped due to lack of interest. Basically no one in the country uses Bitcoin as a medium of exchange. There was a whole bunch of ID theft while people were collecting $30 at a time. The unbanked haven't used it. It hasn't really been used much for remittances.

I can see how there might be future benefits, but can anyone point to any benefits thus far? For those pushing it, is this what they expected?

16. Sajan

Sajan Member

In total, Coinbase insiders have unloaded $3.5 billion of Coinbase shares since the IPO. According to VerityData, the biggest individual Coinbase sellers have been Coinbase cofounder Fred Ehrsam, who has sold $492 million of Coinbase stock; Armstrong, who has sold $292 million; and Coinbase president Emilie Choi, who has sold $231 million.

CCity Zero and LosPollosHermanos like this.
  17. Invisible Fan

Their employees also frontload shitcoins before announcing them on their exchange.

Reputable business. Would recommend.

CCity Zero and Sajan like this.
  18. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Dont worry, Cathie Wood will keep buying this junk.

CCity Zero and Invisible Fan like this.
  19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

this isn't so bad when you realize Lazlo has way more bitcoin than he spent on the pizzas

dude is a certified OG bitcoiner

#5779 Commodore, May 18, 2022
    Last edited: May 18, 2022
    HTM likes this.
  20. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

They literally can't. They have two currencies and they control neither. In El Salvador, the legal tender is USD and BTC. They're basically screwed now as they have zero control over their debts. The US is raising interest rates so that has a negative effect on USD denominated debt and their BTC holdings have collapsed in value. They're completely hosed unless BTC makes a huge recovery. And the problem with their BTC holdings is that they can't use them for anything because they don't want to sell them at a huge loss so they've locked up huge amounts of foreign reserves in a "currency" that isn't liquid right now.

Invisible Fan, Major and Sajan like this.