1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do people think about Bitcoin?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Spooner, Jan 25, 2014.

?

What is the fate of Bitcoin?

1. Currency of the future

35.0%
  2. Passing Fad

65.0%
  1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

MARA capitulated.

Taproot 13.5% of 90% locked. If you don't understand the significance, go back to trading shjtcoins.
    @Commodore

Andre0087 likes this.
  2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

sit in Cafe Bitcoin rooms on Clubhouse and you will get the knowledge you need to become fabulously wealthy

3. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

You have a better chance of Trump winning the 2020 election...in July.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  4. Commodore

purchase $20 bucks of bitcoin every day, and you'll be a multimillionaire in 10 years

it's very simple to do, you can set it and forget it

but it's hard to do, you won't be able to resist panic selling, or you will waste that money on expensive crap before it can appreciate

5. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

In 2015 I bought a solid amount of bitcoin against my wife and financial advisers “advice.” I’m good and appreciate you actually replying with your personal knowledge and experience for once.

6. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

I remember thinking about mining just over 3 years ago but then the price plunged.

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I laughed at the title but he spits truth. Crypto is largely speculative and plays on the Greater Fool. Belief is strong this year but I'll prob have fun staying poor when it pops afterwards...

I've seen someone mention btc cult has become a sort of Prisoners Dilemma where everyone wins with diamond hands and the ones who sell have to be shamed as weak paper hands. Being sustained by that kind of belief structure isn't conducive for the next big currency, so it's always something to be aware of when it comes to influencers. They'll never tell you it's going down with any certainty.

Some of the influencers are even saying many of the tech is a few years too early. If it arrives would the legit coins justify being worth more in market cap than Toyota Motors? I don't know but that's one reason why this space is pretty damn fun to watch

saitou and KingCheetah like this.
  9. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

i liked his point about fees. happens even in mining - my mining pool takes 0.5%, the mining software takes another 1%, and when i cash out to fiat the exchange takes another cut.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

That's pretty much the case in everything where a middle-man is involved. Like Alan Greenspan said when he first started working trading Forex and tried to figure out how the company was making money on trades. His bosses basically told him "we don't make money trading -- we make money off the people who think they can trade". lol. It's true in everything. It's like all the people that go and buy gold or silver and pay an 8-10% premium buying it... then another 8-10% loss selling it. Coinbase exists because of the fees. Banks love fees. Car dealerships don't make money selling you cars (unless you're a moron), they do it by mark-up on service/repairs -- their version of fees. Damn this world! :D

saitou likes this.
  11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

A lot of honest and good opinion in this -- I'm glad he posted something a little less comedic and sarcastic. lol.

12. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

forex is an extra special beast... something like 60-80% of traders lose $. its so silly, i'd rather buy shitcoins :D

13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Do you understand how absurdly high the market cap and price would have to be for someone to become a multimillionaire off of btc with 20$ per day?

One BTC would have to be worth high two digit millions at least, as he wouldn't even own close to 1btc in 10 years.
    Even if it replaces gold and becomes the official world currency, your math doesn't check out.

14. Commodore

bitcoin has had a 200% compound annual growth rate on average the last decade

assuming that drops to say 70% over the next decade, the math checks out

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

PoW will never disappear, but he needs to understand PoS is here to stay .

16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

But capital isn't unlimited and you can't continue that way forever.
    A multi-million double digit BTC (especially when the person in your example wouldn't be close to 1btc) would need an absurd influx of capital and replace fiat and most commodities entirely.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That sounded serious.

18. Space Ghost

Back in reality, El Salvador proposes to legislation allowing BTC as legal tender. Slightly perplexed why CT is talking about balance sheets.

19. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Massive bitcoin mine discovered in UK after police raid suspected cannabis farm

Key Points
    • The mine was stealing thousands of pounds worth of electricity from the mains supply, police said.
    • Police searched the unit on May 18 on the back of intelligence that led them to believe it was being used as a cannabis farm.
    • These are all “classic signs” of a cannabis farm, police said. However, officers found a bank of around 100 computers and zero cannabis on entering the building.
    [​IMG]

LONDON — Police in the United Kingdom say they inadvertently discovered an illegal bitcoin mine while looking for a cannabis farm.

The mine — located in an industrial unit on the outskirts of the English city of Birmingham — was stealing thousands of pounds worth of electricity from the power grid, West Midlands Police said Thursday.

Police searched the unit in Sandwell on May 18 on the back of intelligence that led them to believe it was being used as a cannabis farm.

Many people were visiting the unit at various points of the day, police said, adding there were numerous wiring and ventilation ducts visible. A police drone also detected a lot of heat coming from the building.

[​IMG]
    Bitcoin mine uncovered during Black Country industrial unit raid.
    Source: West Midlands Police
    These are all “classic signs” of a cannabis farm, police said. However, officers found a bank of around 100 computers and zero cannabis on entering the building.

“It’s certainly not what we were expecting,” Jennifer Griffin, Sandwell police sergeant, said in a statement. “It had all the hallmarks of a cannabis cultivation set-up and I believe it’s only the second such crypto mine we’ve encountered in the West Midlands.”

Bitcoin miners use purpose-built computers to solve complex mathematical equations that effectively enable a bitcoin transaction to go through. The miners are rewarded for their efforts in the digital currency.

However, the entire process is incredibly energy intensive because of the amount of power used by the computers. Bitcoin has a carbon footprint comparable with that of New Zealand, producing 36.95 megatons of CO2 annually, according to Digiconomist.

“My understanding is that mining for cryptocurrency is not itself illegal but clearly abstracting electricity from the mains supply to power it is,” Griffin said. The term “mains supply” refers to the utility grid.

The computer equipment has been seized but no arrests have been made.

On Wednesday, Iran’s government announced a ban on the mining of bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies, as officials blame the energy-intensive process for blackouts in a number of Iranian cities.

Around 4.5% of all bitcoin mining globally took place in Iran between January and April of this year, according to blockchain analytics firm Elliptic. That put it among the top 10 in the world, while China came in first place at nearly 70%.

China’s Inner Mongolia region plans to ban new cryptocurrency mining projects and shut down existing activity in a bid to cut down on the energy-consuming operation.

20. Space Ghost

At least cannabis doesn't boil the ocean.