1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do people think about Bitcoin?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Spooner, Jan 25, 2014.

?

What is the fate of Bitcoin?

1. Currency of the future

35.0%
  2. Passing Fad

65.0%
  1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

the Bitcoin Cash scammers teaming up with Coinbase just took their best shot to bring down Bitcoin, and it appears to have failed miserably

Yung-T likes this.
  2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Watching it live was funny as hell. Btc literally went from 17k to 15k and back within seconds.

The whole ordeal will be interesting, there should be regulatory repercussions.

3. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Bubble will be very large. You have big dicks swinging for nothing but fun.

You just gotta guess when we dump.

I've started a CC hedge fund called BSD. We're sitting strong in a lot of areas, and currently have 8 LTC whales, of which 6 are ETH whales.

We can and have moved the LTC market on GDAX, not so much ETH but are getting there. We'll absolutely and are actively going to be BCC whales.

We're also long Ripple, ada, vc, dash. Near whale status on Ripple and ada. There's 11 of us.

We've come to the conclusion this is all horseshit, but we can be market movers so let's do it.

SIL

4. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Depends how much you're willing to buy, and if it's worth you losing it all.

SIL

5. Commodore

6. jbasket

jbasket Member

Muv dem marketz.

Ain't gonna believe until you show us.

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Good job SIL. Looks like you're making some good moves. How can I buy into your hedge fund?

8. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Show you our positions?

Sure, seriously.

SIL

9. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Hey man,

I'm the poorest one. You can come in at your own level, but we move together. So you gotta abide.

At least 30k capital and with positions on a few CCs. Prefer 80k capital though and with a large position on at least one CC.

We are doing well. Our thought process is a collective dump, so you'd really be paying to join our pump n dump scheme. If you're a large ETH holder, you'd take priority. Or even BCC holder.

LTC, @jbasket is least in need. I can show you a position of ours that'll you scream whale. Have nightmares about it.

I want that reddawgs guy on our team. Idk is actual handle here, he predicted BCC. I want to find the next easy access CCs, screw the analysis.

SIL

10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Im looking to dump half my portfolio before EOY. 30k cap is a little low for me. You can't catch whales with minnows in a pond. I'll look elsewhere. Thanks for the offer.

Major likes this.
  11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Don't think you understand the size of this market if you think a few 100k or low millions (in a single crypto) will move anything.
    You guys are bacteria in this game.

12. jbasket

jbasket Member

Nightmares? You know what they say about people that flaunt their money and I'm sure big trucks around...

They have small wieners

Ironically, I would qualify without swinging my **** around like a mental midget. We get under your skin here? ;)

Do it, pics or gtfo.

Yung-T likes this.
  13. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Downloaded the app. Do you have a link I can use? The one on the last page may be expired/invalid

14. Commodore

15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

The IOTA one is great.

16. Major

Major Member

Out of curiosity, outside of the obvious issues with the people behind it (I thought these things were decentralized so it didn't matter anyway?), what are the technical problems with BCH as compared to BTC? In other words, if both were to launch at the same time (no existing first-mover advantage), what does BTC do better than BCH?

17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

BCH solution is manual, linear scaling in steps, they're not addressing the real issue and instead add more kb to the code in a linear way. This only works so far and will be impossible once transactinos and adoption rises.

BTC on the other hand will do real non-linear scaling that isn't jsut a temporary fix.

18. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

If you follow the spam and price attacks, you'll see that they have an extremely centralized and coordinated mining army in China that has power over Bcash, plus guys like Roger owning large stacks. This whole operation is facilitated by few people who have the vast majority of power, completely opposite of the decentralization idea.

19. Major

Major Member

I agree that it does nothing to solve BTC's longterm issues, but that description doesn't tell me anything where it's *worse* than BTC - just that it's only a temporary improvement.

Can BCH not do the same, though?

Agree with this part. Bitcoin itself seems to have ended up with a lot of centralized mining/etc. I think it's a problem with the notion that "decentralization" is such a great thing. At the end of the day, all these currencies can be manipulated and the people that do it best are going to reap the rewards. Amusingly, no different than Wall Street in a lot of ways.

20. Commodore

Bitcoin is a base layer that needs to do a few things with extreme reliability.

Sound money (no change to supply and fixed release schedule)
    Uncensorable payments
    Immutable ledger

Decentralization is required for all of these functions.

Increasing the block size (what BCH did) further centralizes the network. Just look at this:

Any suggested change to the protocol is met with extreme skepticism and conservatism so as to preserve these core functions and not put the network at risk. Segwit took years of testing to implement.

All of the payment processing bells and whistles people talk about should be done off chain.

Bitcoin already does what it needs to do. Namely, guaranteed final settlement for the most important transactions worth recording on a global ledger for all time (i.e. not for your silly coffee purchase), and a guaranteed sound money store of value that can't be inflated.

All we have to do now is sit back and watch adoption and the network effect take over. The only way to screw that up is to start carelessly messing with the core protocol for no reason.