1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do people think about alt coins? V.1 [discussion]

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LosPollosHermanos, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

In many cases with these coins, it's just getting in early and deciding if you want to gamble with the odds. With XCH, people have been mining for days before it began trading and before any major news services caught wind of the hardware requirements/shortages so the "little guy" could get in on the easy money. Now everybody and their mother is in on it, and the global network space is expanding ridiculously fast (Amazon is even offering cloud mining for Chia now) so ... not so easy. There are guys who got started early with a good amount of hardware that are sitting on over 100 XCH for their investment. Not a bad return. They can probably sell the hard drives and recoup most of their expenses (if not make a profit... lol), too.

If you really want to learn about this or know what's going on and can avoid stupid responses, I'd suggest hitting Reddit. Lots of good info. It's where I first learned about Chia, its requirements, and how it works (for the most part). Reddit, Discord, etc. are your best resources for learning about the more technical details of this stuff. Well, there and the website of whatever you're looking for, too.

cheke64 and ramotadab like this.
  2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I wish he would've told me... I thought I had nailed Ethereum's climb after selling around $1300-$1500 or whatever. lol. "Hey, I made 10-15x on some of my Ethereum -- what more do I want?!" Welp... at least I dumped most of it into more crypto, so there's that...:D

Sajan likes this.
  3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

4. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

thanks, i've been fiddling around with it. took me 2hrs to figure out how to port forward 8444, d'oh! node still syncing...

edit: now i'm stuck at peak height 3264, and it's not updating anymore. meh.

#444 saitou, May 8, 2021
    Last edited: May 8, 2021
  5. Sajan

Sajan Member

guess you sold it to me. lol!

Dr of Dunk likes this.
  6. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Lol.. Doge shitttin errrwhere..

Watch it hit a dollar next Saturday.. so volatile..

dachuda86 likes this.
  7. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Hope y’all sold doggy in time

ramotadab likes this.
  8. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Still syncing, caught up to blocks from 5 may lol. have 1 plot ready to farm.

Did some back of napkin math, i think it's still worth farming, but only IF ppl go all in now, the bigger the better. 10x 14tb has chance to win 2 coin every 5 days atm. Speed to scale is most important factor, take too long and difficulty will put chance to win coin out of reach of individual farmers. Otherwise, better to just buy the coin outright. I'll probably stay out. Tempting tho, as shops here still have drives on shelves. A 14tb costs USD$450.

@Xerobull what's your setup? do u have separate machines for plotting and harvesting/farming? how many drives per harvester?

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, if you go Xerobull bonkers and run your own farm at home, it's still worth it. lol. I thought about it, but I can't talk myself into it. They're also coming out with pools in a couple of week that should make it easier for the little guy. I don't know how profitable it'll be, though. It's amazing how much abuse an SSD takes just doing the plotting. You know the industry is probably grinning. :D In the meantime, I'm just looking at my 3 plots I made for grins. lol.

10. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Yes, went long STX and wdc this week. If I'm them, instead of doing buybacks I'm buying xch hand over fist lol. Any other smaller caps that would benefit even more? Like controller manufacturers or specific suppliers to wdc/STX which control scarce part of the supply chain?

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I think the 3 major drive manufacturers are Toshiba, Western Digital, and Seagate. Marvell is involved with HDD controllers. For Chia farming, the bulk of sales would be for HDDs, I guess, so I don't know how much of an impact sales would have on SSD/NVMe manufacturers even though people will also be buying those for plotting drives, too. In those cases, companies like WD and Samsung would be involved. Companies like Samsung and WD seem to be involved in all of this in some fashion. I'm not sure who else other than Marvell is a "side-play" in the component segment since I don't really follow the industry much anymore.

saitou likes this.
  12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

It'll go back up. I bought a little bit more. It's just on sale.

I'm still in the black on it.

cheke64 likes this.
  13. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

It's gonna go back up once the whales finish feeding. This was expected.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  14. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

It's gonna stop bleeding in a few days and then steadily rise.

daywalker02 likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lmao dachuda, spot on avatar.

dachuda86 likes this.
  16. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

Yup I’m thinking doge will consolidate for a while

dachuda86 likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

18. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Can they be Netflix and Hulu?

This is a smart man -he got his contract paid in Bitcoin, but that's a simplistic view.

19. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

That analogy doesn’t really make sense regardless of which side you’re on

mrm32 likes this.
  20. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Actually agree with dachuda doge isn’t going anywhere if this is the big crash and it’s holding at 50 cents then it’s only a matter of time till it’s a dollar. Any more than that just don’t think there’s extra wiggle room for market cap

saitou likes this.