1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What did Joe Biden do wrong regarding Ukraine

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by FranchiseBlade, Feb 4, 2020.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Yes, the last article I posted did report their revenues were declining and less than the moneys they were spending. I wouldn't be surprised that happened... they would be less attractive of a speaker since they have both been out of office. And I am sure less people will donate as their places in history fades. I'm also sure the cloud of the years of investigation (another article I posted, reporting that the DOJ found nothing to charge them with) hurt their ability to raise money.

However, all that said... they have not "closed shop".

jiggyfly and pippendagimp like this.
  2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

their core "business" immediately closed shop b/c as soon as the 2016 election was over australia/norway/saudi/qatar/ukrainian oligarchs just to name a few -- all cut off donations. will be hilarious if hillary wins this year (i do believe she will get the nomination after a brokered convention) and then the money comes back again :D

and just to mention, these kinds of "donations" are standard operating procedure for dems/reps and for literally every single country from singapore to sweden to switzerland. the entire world of politics is awash drowning in the same corruption

3. NewRoxFan

It appears that the US Treasury Department can act, and act quickly, when its in support of the trump campaign dirt-gathering on a campaign opponent... (but hey, those tax returns... that will take some time).

Treasury Department sent information on Hunter Biden to expanding GOP Senate inquiry
    https://news.yahoo.com/treasury-dep...o-expanding-gop-senate-inquiry-161846826.html

4. NewRoxFan

Giuliani & Co. Plot New Biden Probes as Trump’s Ukraine Team Lies in Ruin
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/rudy-...seas-trip-as-trumps-ukraine-team-lies-in-ruin

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

To play devil's advocate, why is there still no charges brought by subsequent Ukrainian prosecutors against Burisma? If it was such a slam dunk that foreign leaders are getting people fired over it, where are the indictments?

Maybe a sneaking suspicion. But I don't know if we need to move any names around. With Trump and Kushner running real estate companies and wielding government power and influence, I have a sneaking suspicion that they may be engaging in some unethical dealing. I don't have proof, like there is no proof of Joe doing anything. But, like with Joe there is an appearance of an opportunity to engage in corruption which should have been avoided.

That's not right. The burden of proof is on the prosecutor. The prosecutor would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Biden was motivated by a corrupt intent to enrich or benefit his son.

As for Shokin, I guess it's a piece of evidence which is what this thread is about. But he's brought this accusation recently, not back when he was fired in 2015, and it seems to be in response and support to the revisionist narrative Trump has asserted and not the other way around. Remember the political context here. Shokin was an official for the pro-Russian leadership pre-2014. They had a revolution and ran that guy out and installed a pro-Western government that was trying to shake off Russian influence of which Shokin was an agent. Burisma's founder was also a government official and an ally of the pro-Russian pre-revolution president. Investigations could result in an indictment for him, indictments for others in the pro-Russian government who conspired with him, and maybe a transfer of ownership of the company or some of its assets (and not, it should be noted, any consequences for board members who came after the alleged corrupt activities). It makes sense Shokin would look to protect Zlochevsky, and it is consistent with the contemporaneous accusations of other investigating bodies. This counter-narrative that Trump is now offering, that Shokin was actually trying to indict Zlochevsky the whole time doesn't make sense when you know the whole story.

If you want to point at a truth claim about what was going on in Ukraine, why not look at the comments of one of our own, US Ambassador to Ukraine Geoffrey Pyatt, instead of a self-interested allegedly corrupt foreign official? Here's what Pyatt said in September 2015 to a group of Ukrainian businessmen:

“Rather than supporting Ukraine’s reforms and working to root out corruption, corrupt actors within the Prosecutor-General’s Office are making things worse by openly and aggressively undermining reform.... They intimidate and obstruct the efforts of those working honestly on reform initiatives within that same office.... The United States stands behind those who challenge these bad actors."
    This part, I'm sure, is true. It's not a quid pro quo, but a sort of back scratching to show you've anted up. Just like how lobbyists will donate the maximum amount to every relevant policy maker, or how all the power brokers will now stay at Trump Hotels instead of other brands. Not that you'll be able to buy a favor that way, but you don't want to be excluded because every other influence peddler anted up and you didn't. I'm sure in the previous administration politicos chose the Clinton Foundation over other destinations for their donations. However, there is no particularly good reason to think any of that money benefited the Clintons personally (apart from the vanity of having a big foundation named after them), or that any political decision was influenced by the donation, or that their "core business" was vacuuming up oligarch money and not to combat disease, climate change, and the other global challenges of our time.

6. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

To the OP's question in the post: We won't know unless there's an investigation. His actions and the appearance of impropriety are a bad look. But I'll wait on the results of an investigation before I judge the man. I'll even go as far as say he didn't do anything except run his mouth unless proven otherwise.

Not sure if the DOJ is investigating this or not. I know Lindsey Graham is calling for a Senate investigation. But for folks calling the DOJ as Trump's lapdog, I'd like to point out that they did come back and rule in Hillary's favor regarding the emails. And they did not press charges against McCabe for lying in an investigation (Flynn got charged). And they have yet to charge anyone in falsifying the FISA warrant renewal. Doesn't exactly sound like Trump's lapdog.

As of today, Joe is guilty of being arrogant, which isn't a crime. And guilty for body shaming me because he can do more push-ups than me....and I'm very hurt by that. Probably some punitive damages owed to me for making me feel that way.

Dark Rhino, mick fry and Astrodome like this.
  7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Investigate him for what? What would they be investigating? I haven't seen anything other than possible nepotism even put forward and there isn't a reason to investigate that.

Prior to the investigation into Trump, we knew that he was guilty because he told us he was. His chief of staff told us that he was guilty. So even prior to the investigation, we could clearly and explicitly tell you what Trump did wrong regarding Ukraine.

Are people just saying Biden should be investigated because Trump and his allies mention corruption? Please show me something similar to probable cause for an investigation into him. Seriously, nobody has mentioned or provided any reason to investigate Biden. Sure Trump and his allies yell about him, but that's not evidence or probable cause.

#107 FranchiseBlade, Feb 6, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    foh, Nook, AleksandarN and 1 other person like this.
  8. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I get that some people say that without an investigation we wouldn't know what Biden had done wrong(Although with Trump we knew before there was an investigation).

Has anyone said what it is Biden should be investigated for, and what probable cause there is for an investigation of Biden?

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. NewRoxFan

10. NewRoxFan

Wow... there is so much wrong with everything in this tweet...

11. mick fry

mick fry Member

Steve Hilton presents the 'Articles of Incompetence' against Nancy Pelosi

Articles of incompetence precedes the Biden breakdown.

12. NewRoxFan

... and, does the FBI and department of justice take political dirt, er, information from any political candidate's personal lawyer?

foh likes this.
  13. dmoneybangbang

All this only helps Trump....

Stop talking about Biden and ask Trump supporters about Kushner and Ivanka.

14. NewRoxFan

15. NewRoxFan

At the same time, barr is trying to distance himself from the rudy dirt... I am sure he has seen the rudy dirt and knows its full of s**t...

Barr offers skepticism on Giuliani's offer of info on Bidens
    "We have to be very careful with respect to any information coming from the Ukraine," Barr told reporters on Monday.
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/...l-on-giulianis-offer-of-info-on-bidens-113137

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  16. mick fry

mick fry Member

Thou doth protest too much. :eek:

17. mick fry

mick fry Member

18. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

So still no evidence against Biden. Okay. I'll be here if you find some evidence and wish to share it.

19. mick fry

mick fry Member

So you must be the no one that he keeps talking about that has said he’s done nothing wrong.

20. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Are familiar with this? Joe was answering questions about Hunter. I'm not asking about Hunter though if the two are tied in wrongdoing then go right ahead and spill the list of things they've done wrong.

So far this thread is on page six and not one person has even shown probable cause for an investigation into Biden. Do you have something that you would like to present?