1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What did Joe Biden do wrong regarding Ukraine

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by FranchiseBlade, Feb 4, 2020.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Nothing at all.

DD

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

They could get diversity without Hunter Biden. I just make this argument to counter the idea that Burisma hired him without any relevant experience. He's a perfectly viable board member.

The optics are still bad and should have been avoided. Of course they also probably look worse now than they would have looked if someone pointed it out in 2015. It's only the vulnerability to a revisionist history of why Shokin was fired that gives the arrangement any appearance of potential impropriety.

Nook and pirc1 like this.
  3. mick fry

mick fry Member

That’s what I have the most problem with is the lack of transparency. You’re right there is no whistleblower, there are no calls to scrutinize, there’s nothing. The optics are bad and there is no proof of wrong doing isn’t a good argument. There isn’t proof because there never was a thorough unbiased investigation. Don’t you think the Bidens should be looked at under a microscope as Trump has been?

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Let's get some facts straight. The prosecutor that Biden, the IMF, and other American allies wanted to be fired was at no time investigating Biden's son.

The official that Biden, the IMF, American allied nations all wanted to be fired did deserve it. All of that has been established.

I guess if events happened like you put forward then that might be suspicious. But we know that the events did not happen like that.

RayRay10 and fchowd0311 like this.
  5. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I would welcome that investigation if there was a similar probable cause to investigate. I wouldn't mind it even with less probable cause.

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. JuanValdez

Honestly, I would have no problem at all if Christopher Wray sought and obtained warrants and conducted an investigation of Joe and Hunter Biden. He might even be doing so right now, or finished an investigation without indictments. I don't know of any good reason to investigate but the FBI might know something I don't.

But, to look at them under a microscope as Trump has been should not be done at all, even if you did have a whistleblower report, transcripts, documents, and witnesses. Even if we were talking about Al Capone here. His approach to have a private citizen ask a foreign government (with a reputation for corruption itself) to conduct an investigation and to do so publicly is totally and completely inappropriate. Trump's acquittal notwithstanding, even with the best of intentions he should not have done it the way he did.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'd say Burisma did something wrong in hiring Hunter Biden, because it most likely did so for political reasons. Hunter probably shouldn't have taken the job, but it really isn't his problem that his dad was VP, and I can't blame him for taking advantage of a well paying job opportunity.

Joe Biden should have avoided being involved in the removal of the prosecutor because of the optics. He was acted on behalf of the President, but so could have Hillary Clinton/John Kerry.

RayRay10 and fchowd0311 like this.
  8. JuanValdez

Well, Kerry would have had a similar problem because his stepson owned Rosemont Seneca with Hunter Biden. He apparently didn't think the Burisma deal was a good idea, but the suspicion would linger on him anyway if Kerry was the pointman on Ukraine.

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. Agent94

Agent94 Member

So the question you are actually asking is what did Biden do illegally in Ukraine. That is a low bar. Nepotism is wrong. The fact that its business as usually is why people are disgusted with government.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You need to send this to the Biden campaign because this is the 1st time I have seen anyone explain it like this.

Major and JuanValdez like this.
  11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You don't think this wasn't investigated by the Republican Senate and House?

The same ones that investigated emails, Fast and furious or Benghazi?

No Worries likes this.
  12. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Sure, Nepotism is wrong. The point I wanted to make is people who support Trump keep asking about how come Democrats don't go after Biden. So I was asking what he's done that deserves to be gone after or investigated.

It also doesn't seem to be a case of all politicians are the same so why go after only Trump.

Nepotism isn't the same thing fro which Trump has been impeached. Biden's nepotism doesn't appear to be anywhere near the level of Trump's nepotism. But all nepotism is wrong if the people aren't qualified.

RayRay10 and Agent94 like this.
  13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Not that they wouldn't make that type of connection, given Trump's support of conspiracy theories, but what is the realistic cutoff for degrees of separation? Pretty much everyone is entangled with each other somehow.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Man this thread is quiet from the usual suspects. Really? No talking points or “whataboutism” distractions ready for this topic?

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Biden has no nepotism, he did not get his son the job.

Trump gave Ivanka and Jared jobs.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What did Biden do wrong? Deciding to run against Trump, that's what.

No Worries and FranchiseBlade like this.
  17. Major

Major Member

There is no evidence of nepotism, though. That's what this thread is about - stop making accusations and provide evidence of some sort. Nepotism requires Joe Biden to have facilitated the job. It's far more likely that the Ukrainian company hired him hoping to his connections, rather than Joe Biden asking them to as a favor to him.

18. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Maybe. Is it Nepotism if a company gave him a job because they knew who his dad was and hoped it might help? It's not Joe pushing for him to get the job but the job is still his as a result of Joe.

Either way, it isn't that both sides are equally guilty no matter how you look at it.

19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Nepotism doesn't require the father to pull the string. A company hiring someone just because of a family name to a high position is also nepotism.

This isn't particularly Joe's fault. It's just the way it is.

#59 fchowd0311, Feb 5, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  20. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

But for the sake of this thread there is a difference. That isn't anything Joe Biden has done wrong.