1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What did Joe Biden do wrong regarding Ukraine

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by FranchiseBlade, Feb 4, 2020.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Because Trump believes you are a dumbass.

It's that simple. The difference between Biden's actions and Trump's actions is one went against the grain of American public interest with consent from allies for his own personal gain and the other had support even from the opposing party.

That's right, Victor Shokin was asked to be removed even from Senate Republicans, the IMF, European allies etc all for what?

To protect frat bro Biden? You think the IMF gives two ***** about protecting Hunter?

That's why Biden was proudly willing to admit he removed Shokin because he thought he successfully executed the will of American public interest.

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I've objected to this talking point before, but since we have a sort of [Official] thread now, might as well record it here. Boards of Directors often seek members with a diversity of professional experience to bring perspectives to the governance of a company. Not having industry experience is not unusual. He has a top-notch education, a law degree and legal experience, government experience, banking experience, and venture capital experience. This is all relevant stuff for an E&P company.

Moreover, they connected with Hunter Biden because of the consulting work he did for them in westernizing their corporate governance practices when he was a lawyer with Boies Schiller. Whatever background he has as an expert in corporate governance would be valuable to their board as they tried to pivot in a country that was escaping from a Russian sphere of influence and trying to embrace the western world. There is also some meta-value in him being a prominent American because it sends a signal that Burisma is casting off their Russian ties and embracing these new Western friends. And of course, that he's the son of the vice president is the cherry on top. So yeah, he was trading on his name as a Biden and on other elements of his identity, but I don't think it's valid to say he had no credentials for the job. He looks credibly qualified to me.

RayRay10, Amiga, adoo and 2 others like this.
  3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

It appears fbi director wray is testifying to congress today...

Nook likes this.
  4. mick fry

mick fry Member

JuanValdez likes this.
  5. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trump would never use the FBI for really important stuff. They've proven they have loyalties to things above unquestioning personal feality to Donald Trump. Crazy, treasonous ideas like "rule of law" - whatever that is.

Sad.

RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

You're gonna have to bring more than coincidence to the table to get taken seriously.

7. Nook

Nook Member

These are all good points that I am glad you have raised.

Has Biden benefited from his father being a prominent politician and a former Vice President? I think that the vast majority of people would say "yes". Is what he did illegal? No not based on everything I have seen. Is there any evidence that Biden influenced his father to the benefit of the company? No, not that I am aware of.

I do not like the optics of it, and in an ideal world it would not happen. However, compared to all of the other issues going on, it is comparatively small.

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thank you for posting this. It isn't really proof of anything but it does show opportunity for some type of corruption. I guess that's a start.

mick fry likes this.
  9. dmoneybangbang

Trump’s corruption is hiding in plain sight. I just roll my eyes at the GOP at this.... so what about Ivanka Trump and Kush?

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. cml750

cml750 Member

So do you honestly think it would be an issue if Hunter Biden was working as an adviser to his father and taking no salary for the adviser role like Ivanka and Kushner? Now flip that around. What would you say if they were working for a Ukrainian company making tons of money and Trump told them to fire a government official who was investigating that company before receiving aid whether the government official deserved it or not?

mick fry likes this.
  11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Some interesting things in there, plus some other stuff that looks a little tinfoil. But it's really just a litany of innuendo. Sure, on a trip to China, Joe Biden could have encouraged them to do a deal with his son. Or, Hunter might have done it all on his own. The Chinese might have been motivated to work with Hunter to grease the wheels with the Admin, or the business case might have made sense all on its own. Again, it's hard the imagine that Hunter's paternity was completely irrelevant, but there is also not even an allegation of misconduct -- just an appearance of an opportunity for impropriety. There's no whistleblower, there's no call transcript, there's no testimony from meeting participants, there are no telling documents, just a confluence of events. I still fault Biden for allowing an appearance of possible impropriety, but that really has nothing to do with the narrative of actual corruption the Trumperverse has convinced itself of.

RayRay10 and Nook like this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

Yawn. Seems more like the Trump MO, corruption for me and not for you. Kush and Ivanka were caught using What’s APP to conduct government business....

Kushner and MBS were communicating using a private server..... If you want to drag Hunter into this then let’s bring Kush and Ivanka into this.

This issue is nepotism right?

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Not to derail this thread ... but this is new to me. The first time I heard him openly talking about corruption in Ukraine was when the scandal broke. And for certain, he never mentioned that he has two policies - a public official policy toward Ukraine (run by the State and other officials), and a hidden policy (corruption as he claimed) run by Rudy and other figures.

Nook likes this.
  14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Diversity (different perspectives) is a proven strength for companies. It's not just at the board level. Newer and less traditional companies understand this well.

15. Nook

Nook Member

It is effective for someone in power that is corrupt to point to someone else and try to draw a false equivalency....... it is effective to those that want to excuse corruption.

There are certain basic principles that we should all operate under and that is just not happening.

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

Okay? So they could have gotten diversity without hiring Hunter Biden.

There is no proof of the Biden's doing anything illegal or unethical but the optics are bad.

It was the same when the President decided to have his daughter and son in law so involved..... and also what people said when Kennedy had his brother deeply involved.

The optics are just bad. The Republicans are trying to blow up the Biden issue as a way to cover the obvious corrupt deeds of the President on the Ukraine. Will it work? Well it works for people that REALLY want to defend the President, but I do not know how it will work for that 5% of people that do not have an opinion of the President.

RayRay10 and Ottomaton like this.
  17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Seriously? Ignoring the whole princess ivanka hasn't had a job in her life where she didn't say "hi daddy" to her boss...

How Don Jr., Ivanka, and Eric Trump Have Profited Off Their Dad's Presidency
    No one knows a “clear conflict of interest” when they see it better than the president's children
    https://www.gq.com/story/trump-kids-profit-presidency

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Clever way of dodging the question. "Based on the Facts" can mean alot of things. The House Republicans in 2014 were able to get an FBI probe of Hillary Clinton started "Based on the Facts" as well.

The Trump mob in the DOJ & Congress know that Wray isn't someone who wants to be directly implicated in political smear campaigns so I'm sure that when Barr sends over requests for probes it isn't blatant like how Trump is with the president of Ukraine and well.... everyone else including the media.

Make no mistake though.... I bet you my 401K that Barr has requested probes that are targeted at political opponents of Trump in the hopes that the FBI probe will ultimately lead to evidence Trump can use by November. I don't think Barr wants to actually prosecute a Biden, Bernie, Warren, or Pete... but the objective is for it to "leak" out of the FBI that a probe is open (likely from Rudy's old NY FBI field office) to create innuendo and a storyline for the NYT, WAPO, and FoxNews to cover daily to smear the nominee just like they did with Hillary.

Comey... like Wray... likely wanted nothing to do with this, but a Republican Congress was able to do alot.... and a mob fixer like Bill Barr can do even more to manipulate guys like Comey & Wray into launching an indirect smear campaign.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I actually worry most about Mayor Pete as a target of Trump & Barr. I'm sure they are going through his military record, his Mayor email records, and worst of all... any gay dating apps. Pete has openly mentioned prior that he met Chasten online which I'm sure Trump's mob heard that and started salivating at the notion of exposing and exploiting his sexuality.

Again... if you think they wont go there you haven't been paying attention. Trump would LOVE to exploit Pete's sexuality. Thats the kind of garbage he has lived for his entire life. This is the guy who basically ran the National Enquirer with his buddy David Pecker if you recall.

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Do you think advisers to the president or vise president is only compensated with salary?