1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

What degree will make more money in Houston, Finance or MIS?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BetterThanEver, Sep 29, 2010.

Tags:
  1. randomdude

randomdude Member

There are still IB jobs available, but definitely not as common during the past year or two. I would say about 30 students from mccombs landed an ibanking job this past year. Even the big ibanks took only like 2-3 students from UT. In 2007, I imagine atleast double or triple of that amount took the ibanking route?

2. G0 R0CKETS

G0 R0CKETS Member

3. droxford

droxford Member

Generally speaking, IT is difficult in the long run. As you get older, newer technologies come out and the next generation is able to handle those technologies better, faster, and cheaper than you can (because you're old).

4. G0 R0CKETS

G0 R0CKETS Member

IT sucks ...I hate it ...

5. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

What do you hate about it?

6. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I love IT. I'm a high school graduate that has made a lot of money by being smart and working hard. There is no reason why someone that is older\getting older cannot continue to do well in IT if you constantly stay on top of technology and network well.

7. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

If you want to make money in houston with a degree, anything dealing with energy is a great choice.

8. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

It sounds trite to say it, but you should do the one you like best. Both those are potentially higher earning degrees. Finance may have more upside -- and possibly more flexibility depending on what other skills you acquire. But a successful MIS person could easily make more then a mediocre Finance grad.

Good luck. Don't forget to tip Clutch on the way out.

9. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

third and fourth choices...geology or petroleum engineering

10. codell

codell Contributing Member

What degree is better/more opportunities/better salary from UH; finance or accounting????????

11. yaonow

yaonow Member

Its not the grades you make but the hands you shake.

12. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I'm on your side. Old people got programming rights!

WE GOT RIGHTS TO PROGRAM ON OUR MACHINES USING THE NETWORK TO INTERFACE WITH DA DAMN DATABASES! WE WILL NOT BE DENIED ACCESS!!! If I have to fight the b*stard MCP myself, I will.

Wait...I'm not old yet. But, I will be. We got rights!

They took 'er jobs! Sterilize the population; their kids are taking d'er jobs!

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Not everyone has the patience, drive, luck, focus, humility and unselfishness to make that work. I think the hardest thing to learn as an adult is that you're not a damn snowflake, and that your ambitions and abilities are not as unique as you think.

14. aggie87

aggie87 Member

keep in mind the finance field is extremely competitive, my roommate had a 3.95 doing the 5 yr finance program with a MS in finance and had to go through 20 interviews before he got a position as an energy trader in Houston, he makes about 70k a yr, alot of people with finance degrees don't get jobs unless their gpa is 3.8+

15. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Unless you're willing/able to sell on commission right out of school, it's probably Accounting: especially if you sit and pass the CPA right out of school.

A large chunk of actual corporate finance work: Corporate Valuation, and Financial Statement Analysis, isn't even really covered in undergraduate finance coursework, they're all accounting classes. I'm not sure you can even get an entry-level bank lending job (credit analyst) without Intermediate Accounting I and II.

16. codell

codell Contributing Member

My wife is looking to get into commercial real estate in an admin/supt role (non-sales), that is why I ask. She already is a residential real estate broker w/ previous experience as an operations manager for Compass Bank so she just wants to make sure she gets the right degree so she can get to where she wants to be (and most commercial real estate companies require a degree).

17. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I don't know anything about real estate, but in this case Finance with a minor in Accounting is probably a good idea. Pretty sure all university finance departments have a real estate finance course in their curriculum, though it's typically just an elective that's not necessarily offered every semester.

18. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

But again, objectively speaking between a Bachelor's of Accounting and Finance, Accounting with a CPA is more functional and marketable by a longshot.

19. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

go to law school. 25 year old folks straight outta law school bank 120K/year. Granted you have to do well, but that's a lot of coin. You make less if you're not at top firms, but I don't know any law school grads that are suffering.

20. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

I just graduated this summer and deciding on a couple of jobs, but was wondering do I need to work and gain some experience before I can apply for an MBA?

or can I just study for the GMAT and apply for spring semester at UH-Clear Lake.