1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What coulda, shoulda...had cooler heads prevailed

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SA Rocket, Jun 29, 2006.

Tags:
  1. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Contributing Member

It's obvious most of us feel we could've done better than the boneheaded, one-sided deal the Rockets made. If you had been in their shoes and decided Gay was too risky, too young, too laid back, too "whatever"...here's your chance. Given the way the draft was playing out, what would you have done?

I would've told West, "The scenario we discussed has played out. We're still interested but we're taking Gay and shopping him right now to get the best deal. We'll get back to you, or get back to us if you change the deal."

Then I would've promptly called the Hornets who supposedly wanted to package the 12 and 15 to move for an elite player. As the draft worked out, we could've traded them Gay for Brewer AND Marcus Williams.

Alston/Williams
    Brewer/Head
    TMac/Bogans
    JHo/Stro/Hayes
    Yao/Deke

and that's before free agency, trades, etc.

2. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

It sounds like the Rockets showed their hand to Jerry West before their selection was even made, so they folded under the pressure of THE LOGO.

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I would have settled for Brewer at the #8 like how everyone on this board came to a consensus weeks ago.

4. yao ming

yao ming Contributing Member

I would have been fine with a first round pick in next year's draft, which is supposedly MUCH deeper than this one. Who knows, maybe when the deal is officially announced, that's what we'll find out...

5. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Wasn't Orlando all hot for Gay. And they were trying to use Hedo and the #11 to move up. We should have done:

Hedo

for

Juwan

Draft Brewer, Carney or Reddick at #11 and that's way better value then what we got.

6. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

They could've traded down for 12 and 15 to pick Hilton Armstrong and Ronnie Brewer. That wouldn't been fantastic.

7. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

My bad, *would've been. Why isn't there an edit button any more?

But who knows if New Orleans was interested in Gay.

8. arjun

arjun Member

all we needed was mike miller in this trade with shane, no matter how the **** we got it just as long as we did, imagine:
    yao 7'6"
    battier 6'8"
    mcgrady 6'8"
    m.miller 6'8"
    alston 6'3"

9. Diaw

Diaw Member

i would have traded him for brewer and a future first rounder ...

10. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

I would have been on the phone after the 5th pick shopping Gay just in case.

I can see Gay being a risk at the 3 and Tracy not wanting to give up the 3 spot.

So I make the best trade possible.

here is a question who would rather have trade NJ their 2 picks plus a 2nd for our pick?

Marcus Williams, Josh Boone, Hassan Adams

Is that better than Battier?

11. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

all we needed was a coach willing to play a rookie over a washed up role player.

12. arjun

arjun Member

lol battier is far from a washed up role player, gay for battier was a good deal, but by adding swift we just have too many holes to fill

13. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

we could of gave NO the 8th pick Gay for the 12 and 15!!!

we could of got brewer and carney both playin the 3 and 2.....youth , athleticsm, defence, speed, ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO im so pissed

14. sbyang

sbyang Member

I don't like any of the players after the 8th pick, Carney, Brewer, and Williams are all questionable at best. My ideal scenario would have been to trade with Atlanta and get Roy, of course that would have made too much sense for ATL so it didn't happen. Well I like the trade just fine given that we didn't get Roy or Foye

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'd rather have Battier than Brewer. If Gay wasn't on the board, I'd have been happy to give up the #8 for Battier. But, again there's the business of throwing in Swift for free.

Still, I like the idea of trading the #8 for the #12 and #15 more than the 2-for-1 deal. Brewer and Marcus would have been nice, and we could still trade Swift to someone else for some kind of asset.

16. Diaw

Diaw Member

i dont think so ... it seems they needed PF/C badly (simmons/armstrong) so why get Gay ? :confused:

17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Then Boston could have picked Sheldon Williams at #7 (for Portland) and force Atlanta's hand (because everyone knew ATL wanted Williams).

18. YallMean

YallMean Member

Why are we assuming CD dealt GAY under pressure. If we agreed to West's term if Gay fell to us, we had thought it out. If we really wanted to keep Gay or shop for better deal, why would we agree to West's term. There gotta be something about Gay that either CD or JVG extremely dont like about. For all the fairness, the kid did skid to 8. So we dont know. Next a year or two will tell.

But still this is a dumb trade. We have to take some risk bringing in talents in case Tmac's back wont hold for us.

19. sbyang

sbyang Member

After they took Aldridge, when they still have Randolph, they're going to take Williams? Well it's portland so anything's possible, but highly unlikely.

20. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

At this point, I'd be happy if Memphis would just throw in Hakim Warrick to replace Swift.