1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What can James White bring to the table?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hotblooded, May 27, 2009.

1. hotblooded

hotblooded Member

Since we signed him so early for next year, he must at least be a rotation player no? I cant imagine us signing him just so he could be an extra body during training.

For those of you who has followed him play (more recently), what can he offer? Are we looking at alot of potential here, a replica of Von Wafer or better?

With such atheleticsm, I would assume that he would be pretty good on the open floor. He could also shoot over people with his verticals I guess. Does he have the ability to blow past his defender to get to the rim?

2. jlwee

jlwee Member

Sprite Slam Dunk Champion! That's all!

3. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

:D :D YEAH!!

4. cmiller

cmiller Contributing Member

Same question I've been asking myself.

My assumption is that he's going to be nothing more than a role player at best or he would have stuck on some team several years ago.

I think the knock on him is his basketball IQ, similar to Wafer at least on defense.

If he works with the coaches all summer, I'm assuming he can make somewhat of an impact, at least on a Wafer scale.

He's no doubt talented, just maybe doesn't have the aptitude to be a big time player at the NBA level, just my assumption.

cmiller

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You're not very imaginative, then. We did that with Mike Harris.

Best case scenario, White could be a Jamario Moon type player; I just wouldn't count on him making the rotation.

7. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

No.

He was simpy insurance against injury for last season.
    Looking ahead, he has a non-guaranteed contract, which means that he's going to get some Summer League action and maybe even a taste of the pre-season to see if he's got anything.

If he shows something there, then he might find his way on to the end of the bench again for 2009/10.

8. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Well, if the table is 8 feet tall or more he could still place the silverware and plates.

I hope we are able maximize his raw skills.

9. bringonthe3s

bringonthe3s Member

I'm hoping for a best case scenario where James White can like Trevor Ariza for the Lakers. An athletic 3 man, than can defend, not necessarily great one on one, but must be good in rotating and help defense, can shoot the 3 when open and is good in the open court.

Hope he develops this during the off-season.

10. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

I hope he works out cause I don't see Wafer sticking around regardless of how much he says he wants to be here.

11. arjun

arjun Member

he can bring water.

12. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

I think coaches think James White can be a good defender.

13. Asian Sensation

This.

14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Pretty sure he is essentially our draft pick for this year. I imagine we will see him crack the lineup if we lose Wafer in the offseason and our other wings remain intact.

15. 1individual

1individual Member

From his minutes, I think he's not NBA caliber. But he can prove me wrong in the pre-season.

16. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I don't see why he can't be as good as Von Wafer was for us this year. If he gets the playing time, this will be his breakout year.

17. Dei

Dei Member

In an interview, Morey said James White is like our draft pick for next year. So, to answer the question, potential.

18. matac3

matac3 Member

I would think they (the rockets) would build his value high by show casing him for the first half of the season and package him in a trade. Morey is good at adding value to cheap labor ...... ask Donte Green

19. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

Anyone forgeting James White is going on 27 years old? Unlike Wafer I doubt White has much time to improve.

20. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Just a question: James White's BD is Oct 21, 82. So, at the start of 09 season, he will be 27. Is that a little too old for being a project or potentials?

Morey must see something in White. Also, I bet his contract is at most partially guaranteed next season. It's a low risk move.

When White first entered the league, some coaches said he could be a good defender with long arms and athleticism. It looks like his jumper has greatly improved although the elevation of his jumper is too low. Let's check him out in the summer league.