1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What book are you reading?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TMac640, May 28, 2008.

1. mtbrays

mtbrays Member
    Supporting Member

2. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Member

Finished the Billionaire's Vinegar last night and highly recommend it.

I'm now reading Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen. It's a fun book so far. It blends gardening, cooking, witchcraft, sister\family bonding, and sex. What more can you ask for?

[​IMG]

A lot of books in my queue are being mentioned in this thread. I might have to bump up the Ember series and the Memory Keeper's Daughter.

I didn't read Omnivore's Dilemma, but my wife did. That pretty much killed ever eating fast food again.

3. Landlord Landry

[​IMG]

excellent read.

4. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Member

I finished Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen. It was a lighthearded, fun book that blends gardening, cooking, magic, the relationship of two sisters, family relationships, and sex. It isn't really profound, but I blew through this book in 2 days and had jolly fun doing so. A good beach or summer read.

I'm about to start reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. I don't really know anything about this book, but a number of people (including a couple of booksellers) whom I trust have highly recommended it.

[​IMG]

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

its woth reading ayn rands atlas shrugged and fountainhead. there just damn long though.

6. Ming Dynasty

Ming Dynasty Member

My Custom Van: And 50 Other Mind-Blowing Essays that Will Blow Your Mind All Over Your Face

by Michael Ian Black

"Fun to read while you're pooping." -- Sarah Silverman

From the cover jacket:

7. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Member

I just finished The Book Thief, and it was amazing. Definitely on my short list of best books I've read. It's the story of a German girl growing up in Germany during WWII told from the perspective of Death. It's incredibly powerful, funny, devastating, and beautiful. I highly recommend this book.

I am about to sink my teeth into Breaking Dawn by Stephanie Meyers. Can't wait to see how it all ends.

[​IMG]

8. finalsbound

finalsbound Member

9. The Drake

The Drake Member

just finished this for school...

i thought it was a pretty amazing story of how one man actually made a difference in the world, but as a story...

the hero-worship of Mortenson for tiresome and the actual writing itself was a little weak.

im supposed to be leading discussions of it, but im not sure what we're going to be debating...i mean who's not in favor of educating poverty-stricken cultures?

any thoughts...?

10. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Member

I thought it was a great book (from a non-fiction story point of view), although it makes me feel like I've accomplished nothing in life. I had it on my list to read, and then a book club I belonged to selected it. The best talking points were about cultures in Pakistan and Afghanistan, the power of a person or group to accomplish great things, and perseverence. I want to say the copy I had listed some talking points for reading groups. You could probably find them online. I'd post them from my copy, but I loaned it out to someone.

11. the futants

the futants Member

12. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

Just finished Always Talk to Strangers: 3 Simple Steps to Finding the Love of Your Life

- author: David Wygant
    - yeah yeah yeah, but it's got good advice for us anti-socials and depressee's :)

next stop, my 17th f'in book of the summer. w00t! :)

Heretics of Dune

- author: Frank Herbert
    - 5th book in the Dune Series

13. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Member

Finished Breaking Dawn. What a disappointment. The ending was so underwhelming. Overall the series was fun (although a bit mopey), but the ending just kind of killed any positive buzz.

I'm reading The Red Tent by Anita Diamant. My wife has recommended this book for years, so I'm finally getting around to reading it. It is a chick book in that it deals with the life of Dinah (from Genesis, the first book of the bible). It's not religious, but deals with the relationship between mother and daughter and among women in general during this time period. Interesting read so far.

[​IMG]

14. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

Just got finished reading

(16) Life Was Never Meant To Be A Struggle (Stuart Wilde) - nice little 50 page book with a fair amount of common sense stuff in terms of inspiration/self-help. still for $1 + $3.70 shipping on amazon, I liked it.

(17) Heretics of Dune (Book 5 in Dune Series, Frank Herbert) - an outstanding book. I'm really glad I gave this series a second chance after not understanding book 1 a little over 3 years ago.

Up next

The final book in the Dune Series - Chapterhouse Dune.

15. firecat

firecat Member

I'm a little more than halfway through Atlas Shrugged. Damn this book is long. It's worth it though.

16. BMoney

BMoney Member

That is a fine book!

I am currently reading [​IMG]

17. gifford1967

gifford1967 Member
    Supporting Member

Generation Kill.

So far so good.

18. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

19. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Member

Fair enough.

Swap "It was a dark and stormy night" from standard book openings to "I never thought this would happen to me." Whatever floats your boat.