1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What book are you reading?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TMac640, May 28, 2008.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I love the reading threads.

I'm reading Crossing California by Adam Langer, and it is simply one of the best written, funniest books I've read in probably five years.

Langer has a great ear for dialogue, and his ability to convincingly write a huge variety of characters blows me away. Everyone in the book is convincing, sympathetic, hilarious, tragic. Every scene is believable.

If you were a teenager in the late 1970's or early 1980's, this is a must read for you. The entire story takes place in one neighborhood in Chicago in late 1979 and early 1980, surrounding the whole hostage crisis (time wise).

2. rusHour

rusHour Member

!!!!!

#62 rusHour, May 29, 2008
    Last edited: May 29, 2008
  3. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Member

Yeah, I meant Feast for Crows. Sorry, brain-fart (i'll edit). So sorry for amping you up. Martin stated on his blog recently that he's fallen farther behind due to being sick for a few weeks...not a shocker, given his history. I just don't understand why the guy can't get books done faster. Some of his peers like Erikson and Bakker can pump out awesome novels in a year.

EDIT- well, the edit button on my previous post is gone. I guess there's a time limit for editing. Oh well. Apologies again.

4. Carlos Nice

Carlos Nice Rookie

the wife actually turned down the radio this morning for some "breaking news" !!!!

she said that at this year's MTV Movie Awards they were supposed to "play a scene" from the movie Twilight !!!!!! i think the MTV Movie Awards is this Sunday...you might wanna tune in :)

jeeeez, she has really gotten into it, HAHA !!! she said "i'm gonna record it on the DVR and watch it over and over and over again !!!!!"

5. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Member

Just finished The Virgin Suicides by Jeffery Eugenides, which was an interesting read. It's a pretty depressing subject matter, but I blew through that book in two days.

I'm going to read The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold next.

I'll keep an eye out for Twilight at the used book stores (they are everywhere in Seattle, kinda like coffee shops and movie theatres). I got turned off vampire books after reading Laurel K. Hamilton (shudder), but I've heard good things about Stephanie Meyer.

6. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

The World Is Flat

7. droxford

droxford Member

Harry Potter - Half Blood Prince (assuming we're counting audio books. This is my first audio book).

8. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Hey Max, I e-mailed you a couple general questions. I just used the e-mail through the board.

Anyway if you have time that would be cool, and if not that's cool too, it's no biggie.

9. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Member

I'm excited. Two new book releases this week.

Victory of Eagles by Naomi Novik (Book 5 of Temeraire)
    Last Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko (Book 4 of the Night Watch, also the conclusion of the series)

Both are great series, and I'm looking forward to reading the next installments.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

i have the first one on my bookshelf waiting to be read, but I need to read a friend's book first. Do the movies follow the books well or are they two completely different animals?

12. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Member

I refuse to watch the movies, because I am almost always disappointed in film adaptations. They are quite fun reads.

13. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

I've read a few books since. I'm currently on Broken Angels (2nd book in the Takeshi Kovacs series) by Richard Morgan. :)

14. JumpMan

JumpMan Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

15. weslinder

weslinder Member

^^^
    This.

And The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith. It's amazing how little things have changed in 230 years.

16. ClutchCityReturns

17. bobmarley

bobmarley Member

Good calls on David Sedaris, Chuck Palahnuik and Michael Chabon.

Read all of these. Really big fan of Chabon. I really liked 'Yiddish Policeman's Union'.

Right now I am usually read about 3 or so books at a time. I have the obligatory textbooks; Nutrition for the Foodservice Professional and ServSafe: Sanitation and Safety.

I read my Bible everyday. That is the one book that goes with me everywhere.

And when I want a change of pace I read M.F.K. Fisher's 'The Art of Eating'

By the way, does anyone here use librarything.com?

It by far one of my favorite resources on compiling a list of what I read and getting recommendations on books to read in the future.

Really and truly I have like 40 books that I own that have to read before I go buying anymore reading material.

18. OddsOn

OddsOn Member

Just finished....
    Beyond Band of Brothers ~ Major Dick Winters; he was the Commander of Easy Company, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment. They made the series "Band of Brothers" about this group and his command.

QBQ (the question behind the question) ~ John Miller; short read about practicing personal accountability.

In process of reading...
    Boiundaries ~ Dr. Henry Cloud; a book about setting physical, mental and emotional boundaries to maintain control in your life.

The One Year Bible ~ English standard version

Up next...
    Atlas Shrugged ~ Ayn Rand; will be my second attempt at this one. Its a long book (1000+ pages) of really small print. The first time I got 300 pages in and broke down....so I am not making any promises on this one... :D

America Alone ~ Mark Steyn

Death of the West ~ Pat Buchanan

Recommended reading for everyone...
    Financial Peace ~ Dave Ramsey; this book truly changed my life. Its the most common sense approach to personal finance I have ever read.... :cool:

#78 OddsOn, Jul 7, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  19. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

That book took me a long time to get into before I liked it. Might have to get through a couple hundred more pages of it. There is a ridiculously long monologue in there at some point though where Ayn Rand is stating her philosophical beliefs through one of the characters.

20. rezdawg

rezdawg Member

Rich Dad Poor Dad