1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What book are you reading?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TMac640, May 28, 2008.

1. Carlos Nice

Carlos Nice Rookie

yes, i know !!! people are actually upset because she hasn't come out with the 4th book...the entire Twilight series is a hit amongst readers that dig "Vampire" dramas, HAHA !!!!

my wife would stuff her face in those 3 books EVERY DAY...she would tell me alot about it and she would always say i was "her Edward" HAHA !!!!

my wife's little sister started all 3 books over again...she read all 3 books twice in less than 3 weeks...it helps when she doesn't work and she stays at home all day...

if i didn't get distracted easily i'd probably start on her first book, but i know it would take me close to a month to finish...

2. WWR

WWR Member

Just finished Jose Canseco's latest book.

3. percicles

percicles Member

The Pickup by Nadine Gordimer

4. LFE171

LFE171 Member

How was it? I might just pick THAT up since he's coming out with a second book! lol

5. subtomic

subtomic Member
    Supporting Member

I'm reading A Bend in the River by V.S. Naipaul, which is about a Indian Muslim living in Africa. It's a challenging and slow read (though not nearly as much as Naipaul's first Novel - A House for Mr. Biswas - which was excruciating) but I'm enjoying it.

In the last month, I've also finished The Rules of Attraction by Brett Easton Ellis (amusing but pretty empty) and Clock Without Hands by Carson McCullers (beautifully written, but not as good as her earlier novels).

6. TheMountainTop

I just finished reading One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey and a while before that I read Digital Fortress by Dan Brown

I am currently reading Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

Weird. I'm also reading A Bend in the River. This is my first novel in at least 2 years. I didn't read anything for pleasure while I was in business school. Now that I'm out, I'm trying to get back in the habit.

8. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Member

I just finished The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant. I'm about to start The Virgin Suicides by Jeffery Eugenides.

9. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

Slapstick by Vonnegut
    Smells Like Dead Elephants by Matt Taiibi
    The Man in the High Castle by Philip K Dick

10. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

oliver sacks is awesome to read. i was introduced to him in a philosophy class a couple years ago. we read an anthropologist on mars, i also picked up musicophilia awhile back but havent dove into yet. i think this book is also at my uni's bookstore for a class as well.

11. First Lady

First Lady Member

The story can really suck you in and you'll finish it in a week without realizing it but it's all good because you have two more to go.

Edward makes me want to be a vampire

12. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Stephen Kings The Dark Tower V: Wolves of The Calla. This series is simply incredible...

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I think that was me. Walter Jon Williams? I really enjoyed it and thought the unusual setting was cool. Based on the New Madrid earthquake of 1812, one of the worst in our history, that happened where most people haven't a clue is an earthquake zone and capable of incredibly destructive earthquakes. The guy, BTW, writes great science fiction. If anyone reads the Dread Empire's Fall trilogy, they won't be disappointed.

14. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Where and how are you getting to read a Dance with Dragons when its not even out yet? According to amazon, the book isnt going to be published till september 30. I was so excited, when i saw your post that maybe they had released it early... please tell me thats is true and you somehow got a leaked copy online or something.

15. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

3001: The Final Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke and starting to re-read the Narnia series after seeing the movie. :D

16. davo

davo Member

Recently finished In the Footsteps of Mr Kurtz by Michela Wrong - about Mobuto Sese Seko in Zaire/Congo. Before that I read A Rumor of War by Philip Caputo - very powerful.

Currently reading Ghost War by Alex Berenson - fiction fodder, but entertaining.

17. macalu

macalu Member

Consumer Reports Smart Buyer's Guide to Buying or Leasing a Car

anyone who's looking to buy a car, should pick it up. it will definitely familiarize you with the car buying process, help you take advantage of the negotiation, and avoid the tricks of the dealership.

18. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Member

Finished Bringing Down the House.

Started Dan Frishberg's Escape from the Herd.

19. 111chase111

111chase111 Member

A Feast for Crows - George R.R. Martin

20. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Member

I'm re-reading "The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul" by Douglas Adams.

It's a real riot. Adams is (errr... was) comic genius.