1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What are your trade deadline predictions?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by withmustard, Feb 15, 2012.

1. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

This is the most crucial trade deadline for Morey to date. I know this team is competing well, but we are still stuck in the mediocrity treadmill. We aren't capable of more than a second round exit, if even that. I'm ready to take a gamble and go for big.

I would trade Scola and Martin for a combination of expiring contracts, picks, and/or a decent young player in a heartbeat and try to hit a homerun this summer or next season via trade.

I fear they won't trade two starters on a "playoff" team unless it's for a better player (ie Gasol). Even though we would not miss a beat with Lee and PP starting IMO, although depth would take a hit.

2. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

3. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

my money in the bank prediction is that K-Mart will be reunited with Rick Daddy..:p

4. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

My prediction (only listing main players in the deal):

Houston receives: Dwight Howard, Jameer Nelson or Hedo Turkoglu

Orlando receives: Derrick Williams, Kyle Lowry (or Dragic and Scola), Draft pick

Minnesota receives: Kevin martin + Jordan Hill or Budinger

I don't know which players should be included to make this deal work but would basically be the main players involved.

5. TexasRedd

TexasRedd Member

Rockets getting Howard? You guys know better than that...

6. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

If the Rockets are losing Lowry Martin and Scola for Dwight with no extension (rental) then yes they might just do. Question is, would you take that risk?

7. fogo18182028

fogo18182028 Member

Giving up too much for a half season rental for Howard. And we take in 2 bad contract.

8. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Best case scenario... Dwight signs an extension and we get Derin Williams via free agency.

Worst case... We rebuild from scratch.

I'd take the risk than be a mediocre teams for another decade or so.

9. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Deron Williams*

A lot of pressure is on Morey to finally make a move o acquire that superstar we've been searching for. No superstar wants to play for Houston right? I say go for broke and risk it all. If he doesn't resign then we're gonna finally get a chance to rebuild and get that future superstar thru draft.

10. Kronos

Kronos Member

We would have no cap or no players to get Dwill in the offseason though..

11. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Or two biggest contracts are Martin and Scola. Those would be gone. Lowry's as well. Then why wouldn't we have cap room when all we have is Dwight's contract? How the hell does Miami have 3 near max superstar and we can't even have 2?

12. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I predict we stand pat and truly tank next season

13. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

How could we possibly stand pat and tank next season at the same time given some of our players' contracts?

14. monster

monster Member

I'm completely against a 1/2 season rental. If Howard doesn't want to be here, then move on. We don't have to give up our best players to tank and rebuild. If we are willing to lose Martin, lowry and scola, then it needs to be for draft picks. Also, I'm not sure what some of you mean when you say "tanking". If necessary, I'm willing to put our young players in to gain experience, and accept the bad season that it would probably result in, but I'm not cool with the idea of just losing to get a lotto pick. Whatever we do, it needs to be productive. Play Patterson, Morris, parson, and any other youngsters who are likely to be Rockets for the foreseeable future.

15. RyanB

RyanB Member

this !!

16. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Deja Vu all over again.

The usual media leaks about pursuing a star. To be followed by a trade for some player that has 90% of the fan base scratching their heads. To be followed by more media hype about collecting assets and cap flexibility.

17. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

At this point? [Shrugs shoulders and puts hands in pockets]

I am not counting on anything big from Morey.

18. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Personally I'd love to get Josh Smith from Atlanta. In the summer we were on his "list", IIRC. Not sure what we can trade to them though. Doubt they'd want Scola, and they already have Johnson so no Martin. I'd rather go for Smith than to go for Gasol.

19. Scolandry

Scolandry Member

BOLD PREDICTION:

We do absolutely nothing significant.

20. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

After looking at the standings, Cleveland may be a great trade partner as well.

Last season, the reason I predicted Morey going after the Clippers' pick was they were "Up and Coming." The fan base for the Clips had hit an all time high with Griffin, and though it was obvious the Clippers' were not going to make the playoffs, the team actually played hard every night in hopes of winning.

With that mentality, the Clippers didn't mind shipping out their pick for instant leadership(Mo Williams) and to be rid of Baron Davis' horrible contract. Had the numbers held for LA, they would have given up the 8-10th pick instead of the 1st. Not so bad right?

I can really see the Cavs being in a similar situation this year. Between striking lottery gold, Irving being this good, and the new amnesty policy(allowing them to wipe their hands clean of Baron Davis' contract): the Cavs are YEARS ahead of where they thought they would be a year ago.

I think this Morey's best chance at getting a lottery pick. I'm not really sure what would be fair but Cleveland is ready to start winning. Dan Gilbert is ready for war against Lebron.