1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What are your Rockets Predictions for Draft Night?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsFan94, Jun 26, 2012.

1. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

As long as we don't go Gay for Battier, I'll be happy.

2. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I avoid the one big deal, but I think most of these are pretty solid predictions:

- the "big trade" won't happen until the night of the draft.
    - There may be one more smaller picks/cash/salary dumps before the draft similar to what we saw with Cbud but that's it.
    - Houston may try to get the Bobcats pick depending on how much Charlotte asks for it. It's an outside shot, but I could see Houston working something out where they swap high lotto picks with Charlotte and throw in a vet for their trouble(Martin or Scola). If Houston goes that high up, the Orlando deal is probably off the table.
    - If Dwight ends up in Houston, it will be via a 3 or 4 team deal
    - If there are any other larger trades on draft day and Houston doesn't pull off the Orlando trade, I think Houston gets involved as a trade facilitator(probably using those picks they are collecting) for future lotto picks.
    - As with all Morey trades - follow the money. Particularly watch for one of those pick for cash/cash for a pick deals.
    -Houston will probably be very active in the 2nd round taking a flyer on a few guys there.

...as for a real prediction, I think Houston is hiding their hand. This isn't just about Dwight. If at the end of the night they had Dwight and some other big (maybe Pau Gasol) I wouldn't be too shocked. I think that scenario depends on a couple of things but it seems like Houston's angle all along has been to take advantage of a scarcity of talented bigs and win by controlling the glass and shutting down points in the paint. Morey probably runs the other players in LA & Orlando through his metrics analysis and has determined those teams are contenders despite relatively inefficient performances by their supporting cast and assumes Houston could really stretch their late draft picking skills to build a contender around a couple of quality bigs. It probably means we won't be the most exciting team to watch, but we will be a relatively effective contender. Think about how Morey was collecting players that drew fouls to get teams in the penalty and have the league's best FT shooting team to give them an advantage. I think his methods of building a contender are different than other GMs and that's why his acquisition logic is at times puzzling. Morey isn't acquiring Dwight thinkning he alone makes us a contender just like he wasn't trying to get Pau - he was trying to get Pau AND Nene...

3. ths balla

ths balla Member

im hearing 14,16,18 for #5 and KLow to toronto for #8

4. jboger

jboger Member

Trade Lowry and 14,16th for tyrek and 5th!
    Then trade 18th and samuels dumpable contract to the warriors for their pick!
    Then go after Eric Gordon, Nicholas batum, Jamal Crawford
    Trade two top picks and marcus morris and scola for Howard!
    Try to sign deron if not oh well bring dragic back!
    Trade tyrek for either rudy gay, or josh smith!
    Our lineup:
    Pg: deron or dragic
    Sg: Lee or Jamal Crawford, Nicholas batum or Eric Gordon
    Sf: parsons, find someone from the d league or a player that didn't get drafted!
    Pf: dontas monteuies, josh smith or go after free agent kris humpries or kevin Garnett
    C: Dwight and camby

5. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

I mean if we're talking about dream scenario: LeBron. But if we're talking what might actually happen, I say we get two top 10 picks (5 and either 7 or 8) plus a player or two to orlando for dwight. Then whatever other assets we have left we deal for either Gasol or Smith with JSmoov being the more likely and more desirable (in my eyes) candidate. From then, Deron Williams will have a change of heart, decide that Houston actually is a destination he wants to go, and he will sign here. Don't know the exact cap numbers, but I believe that Morey can pull it off. This is what he's been gunning for for 2 years now, I think this time he finally gets it done (with the exception of the Godsend that was us getting Sterned last year)

In Morey I Trust

6. fleecysphere

fleecysphere Member

Hearing from where?

7. clubberclyde

clubberclyde Member

Dwight Howard trade gets nixed by Stern and a riot occurs at the draft party.

8. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

We have too many contracts. My prediction is that the number of players on the Rockets decreases rather than increases either by the end of the draft or the couple days following it.

9. Coreyls18

Coreyls18 Member

Think we trade with Bobcats and take Robinson @ #2.

10. willieg52

willieg52 Member

I say we stock pile young talent and pick up a good FA since we have the cap room. Would love to get the #5 and pick up Drummond and let Lowry go for #8 and if not then keep 14, 16, 18 to add young talent.

11. merrrlo

merrrlo Member

Rockets won't get any big names, and reports will come out of how close they were to getting one BUT...

12. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

I think we keep that 18th pick and take Teague regardless of other trades we might do.

13. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I'll be excited, then our picks will come, I will scream and throw a tantrum. Same as every year.

14. cocoloco

cocoloco Member

david stern will reassign houston's entire slew of draft picks to new orleans then the hornets will make blockbuster trade with orlando to aquire d12. david stern will then state that everyone had an equal chance to get houston's picks just like when new orleans got the #1 draft pick.

15. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

We pick at 5, trade Tyreke for a late lottery pick, pick at 18.

Walk away with Drummond, Harkliss and K. Marshall.

16. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

Remember when the Nets assembled all those pieces to make a run at Melo and ended up with Deron instead?

I think the Rockets will make a play for Howard but will ultimately trade for other players.

Maybe Gortat + Josh Smith/Danny Granger/etc...

Howard is not the only star player available who the Rockets have the assets to acquire.

17. clos4life

clos4life Member

Dhoward and Josh Smith, book it! ;):grin:

18. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

Not sure if you are aware DD, picks turn into ......wait for it.....players...

1 person likes this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Having failed on a blockbuster trade, Rockets call back New Orleans and see if they're still interested in 14+16(or 18) for 10. Or they stay at 14, package 16+18 for something else, I don't know, maybe future pick(s).

20. cml750

cml750 Member

I seriously doubt we bring in any veterans. We may trade up into the top ten, however I think we will end using the pick for ourselves after Morey strikes out trying to land a veteran (DH, JS,etc.....)