1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What are your reasons for not going vegan?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jacoby, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Buck Turgidson

Define "plants"

Is it native grasses in a pasture, or is it soybeans cultivated in a field?

Xerobull likes this.
  2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Right, I was trying to portray how and where I feel conflicted since I was discussing my personal mindset.

As I said, I ultimately envision raising and eating fish. That means bonking the poor ****ers on the head, cutting the gills bleeding them, gutting them etc. I feel I could justify that ethically for the purpose it would serve nutritionally for my family. That's why I said from the start, I have no hard opinion on whether people should be eating meat or not, but I think it's incredibly complex, and people should deeply consider their own ethical viewpoints and how they are eating meat, the necessity of it, the value of it, what kind of animals, how much, how they were born, lived and died. While I can't justify eating mammals, maybe others can?

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I know but the joke is there's a significant multiplier conversion rate to turn plants and water into the meat lol

Just eating the plants and water it's self requires much fewer plants and water than feeding plants and water to animals to then eat meat.

4. Buck Turgidson

Ever eaten squirrels?

5. Buck Turgidson

What kind of fish are you talking about?

Oh...and where are you going to get this water?

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

No sir. I know pest are a big problem here, hopefully, where I'm trying to place my farm, there aren't much of any predators/pest

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Other than racoons, possums, ringtails, skunks, eagles, hawks, black vultures, caracaras, coyotes, pigs, more pigs, and the other pigs, outside of that pests should not be a problem.

ETA: Careful with the foxes and skunks...they are the A#1 rabies carriers in the Hill Country.

#87 Buck Turgidson, Mar 5, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    Deckard and ThatBoyNick like this.
  8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I couldn't adhere to a food eating regimen that would have me as a participant. I am an anti-regimen human being.

I also love dogs.
    My Labradoodle looks like the one below. She weighs 75 pounds. I give her meatless treats. It's a coincidence.

[​IMG]

9. Buck Turgidson

Squirrels and cottontail rabbits are delicious.

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I can't tell you... ain't got the property yet lol.

I'd want it to be as self-sustaining an ecosystem as possible, with multiple fish species that can breed and feed off each other. I'll have to read some books and talk to some people.

In time Buck, with God's help.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I have a large aquarium. My fish are pescatarians and I feed them accordingly. They haven't complained about their diet. Sometimes, at night, there is a murder and I'm left wondering if I'm giving them an adequate diet, but they have yet to complain. That leads me to believe that the attacks in the dark are due to social interactions that lead to violence, not a desire to eat the deceased combatant or a lack of food.

I don't eat my fish, but I eat fish. It's a quandary that inexplicable. I also fish, but not in my aquarium. Fishing is relaxing. Watching my fish in the aquarium, swimming among the rocks and plants, is relaxing. I enjoy relaxing.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

Learn about aquaponics, I'm ready, and we'll build a bigass indoor shop.

We could grow fish, frogs, mussels, turtles, orchids...the fish **** feeds the hydroponic plants that filter the water in a continual system...the possibilities are endless.

Deckard likes this.
  13. TimDuncanDonaut

My attempt at a thoughtful response.

1. Religious reasons. Like in Judaism, no Pork (pigs considered dirty animals), or sea creatures with legs (shirmp). Hindus with Beef, because Cows a sacred symbol. And Buddhism.
    2. Plant based diet for healthy reasons (as Xerobull mentioned on the first page).
    3. Animal cruelty. So regarding this point, my association is more of a second account information, but maybe the OP and other vegans could relate to parts of it. One of my colleague's wife is a vegan. During our work lunches (pre-pandemic), this topic with her wife comes up. He'd tell me her story; here's some of the background and nuanced observations:
    Life of one vegan.
    She started when she was young. While her family ate meat, something happened when she found out about animal cruelty, that she decided to not eat meat anymore. Her parents were OK with it; they weren't always sure how to accommodate in the meal preparation. So even though she didn't eat meat, she ended up eating lot of snacks and junk food, which wasn't unhealthy. Not exactly a plant/fruit based diet. Things later changed when she became an adult and later married.

The lady is in her late 30's, early 40's now, still very much a non meat eater. Some takeaways are:

Meat separation and disassociation - Because she avoided it for so long, there is a negative association. This is despite that my colleague and their two little kids cook and eat meat at the house. The smell and things like that bothers her, but she puts up with it.

If they go out to eat, and she orders a veggie dish, she requests that to be cooked in separate clean pans away from the meat dishes. This is border line kosher food prep territory. Most restaurants try to be accommodating, but my colleague admits; it's not always easy when they dine out. And there are times where she taste 'meat aftertaste' from the veggie dish. (no crude jokes pls :p) It could be from the spatula, pan...etc. If she taste 'meat flavor', they either send it back or to avoid fuss; wrap it to go, and the husband finish it as leftovers.

Raising kids; meat or nah?. Their choice was to explain to the two kids of the factory farming practices. Then let them decide. My understanding is that the kids are still consuming meat on a regular basis.

No missing of the meat. - since the wife started at a young age and has strong conviction. There's no 'missing' of the taste or falling off the wagon. It's not only neutral, but the smell/taste nauseates her. This is different than maybe others converting to vegan later on in life. So there's little interest in things in meat substitutes like beyond burgers.

Snobbery - This might exists in the vegan community, but I didn't get that in the case here. In fact, hearing about the 'overhead', and frankly hoops that the husband has to jump through to accommodate takes its toll. It's also hard on the wife. As this choice can make her feel isolated. U.S. compare to other parts of the world has a much higher meat intake.

Last ironic thing is, in addition to that couple's day jobs, they own a little property that classify as a small farm. There are chickens, ducks, sheep and horses. And yes the male chicken are killed (by the husband) and eaten (by husband + 2 kids), but technically the chickens are free ranged so I guess that's OK with the wife.

#93 TimDuncanDonaut, Mar 5, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    Pringles and Xerobull like this.
  14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Hi guys.

I just have an innocent question for the Hangout. I'm really not trying to start anything, I'm just curious.

Are women who have abortions baby killers? Or are they just murderers?

Have a great weekend everyone!

15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

and this classic Warren Oates films is available currently on amazon Prime. check it out before it goes away

16. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Yep. My grandfather was an avid squirrel hunter. Even had squirrel dogs who would work them up the tree and around to your side and boom goes the .410. After he made me clean them, he would put the heads in a microwave (wonderful smell) and heat them up and his dogs would eat them. They went nuts when that outdoor microwave turned on. He likened it to a jelly donut for them. Clearly a man who grew up in the Great Depression. Different generation.

so yeah, eaten a decent amount of squirrel. Tastes like greasy dark meat chicken. Not bad but wouldn’t order it. Had raccoon as well. Was not a fan.

17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Great account of a vegan who doesn't press her beliefs on others.

When I was plant based, I rarely missed meat/dairy/eggs. I would even have some cheese from time to time. I made a decision when I stopped eating all of this stuff that it wouldn't interfere with my social life; if I was at a friend's for dinner or bbq, I would eat what they cooked. Of course, then we had the plague and I haven't eaten at someone else's house in a while.

When I went back, it wasn't like 'omg I missed you so much'...it was just fuel. I'm not a foodie nor do I eat for pleasure, although I do find pleasure in eating a good meal, so maybe that's just me. Or maybe Americans get far too much pleasure out of eating, if you look at them.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Going vegetarian full time is a pain I can't even imagine trying to be a vegan.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Steak is good.

DD

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I'm going to do some cocaine and research an appropriate answer to your interesting question.

Buck Turgidson and Yung-T like this.