1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What are your Predictions for the Rockets Offseason?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by REDCTH, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Pukimonster

Pukimonster Member

Lin and Asik traded for $15M cap space
    3rd superstar gets signed
    Parsons offer sheet gets matched
    Rockets still gone by the 2nd round because McHale sucks

2. nykb17

nykb17 Member

Asik, Lin, Parsons, DMo, 2014 1st Round Pick, 2014 2nd Round Pick, Future 1st Round Pick for Melo.

This will get it done and we still have players to surround the Big 3.

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

This must be the fourth time I've replied to your overrating of Carmelo Anthony but we don't have to give up that much to get him.

4. derp

derp Member

The more I think about it, the more I think Morey is going to go after Chris Bosh if he opts out.

Bosh moving back to his natural PF spot would be a perfect stretch 4 for this Rockets team, and it would add the defensive presence we need against Portland and the other big teams in the league.

Don't get me wrong I would love to have Melo, but after really thinking out it Bosh is our perfect fit.

5. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Agreed and I think Morey would prefer Bosh to Melo problem is Melo is likely available and Bosh likely resigns in Miami.

6. Bezzle

Bezzle Member

Bosh would rather wear a cheap suit at the far end of the bench for the Heat than leave for Houston. Regarding Melo, I'm starting to believe Phil will sell him on the triangle and bring in an efficient PG (And no, not Jeremy "Turnover" Lin).

7. beardserker

beardserker Member

Melo stays in New York , FA just a ruse to reduce pressure on him, make him more appreciated there.

Asik/dmo dumped for cap space. Lowry signed as FA

Parsons waits for above, signs offer sheet, is matched.

Lin traded to sac for Carl Landry .

8. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Minny trades Kevin Love to PHX for Dragic + other assets. Melo either joins Miami, Bulls or stays in NY. Basically I don't see him leaving the weak eastern conf.

Rockets pursue Kyle Lowry in free agency, trade Asik and Jones or D-Mo for Millsap and Pero Antic, and re-up Parsons. Additionally Rockets bring over Kostas Papanikolaou and Sergio Llull to add energy and depth to our bench.

Starters:
    Lowry/ Harden/ Parsons/ Millsap/ Howard

Bench:
    Beverly/ Llull/ Kostas/ Jones or D-Mo/ Antic

Third stringers
    Canaan/ Daniels/ Covingnton/ Casspi/ Rookie (Patric Young)

9. carib

carib Member

I agree if Melo does not leave the East, we should make a push for Millsap. He is a good two way player.

10. krmclaughlin

krmclaughlin Member

Call me crazy, but the more I think about it, the more I feel the Rockets should/will keep mostly the same lineup next year. A lot of good can come out of continuity and cohesiveness, and that's often overlooked on this board. The Spurs are a great example.

This means keeping lin and asik and letting them play out their contacts. I don't think we have the pieces to make a run at Love or Melo this summer, so we should keep what we have and give the team one more year together. I hope we keep Parsons on his current contract so that we can make a run at free agency 2015 when Love is unrestricted (I don't see him signing an extension before then).

We can use the MLE to sign a veteran wing defender that can take up Parsons and Harden's backup minutes. I think with fewer minutes and veteran leadership, both of their defensive efforts will improve. I'd like Marion or Sefolosha, but I don't trust either of their outside shooting. But someone in that mold. I'm also cautiously optimistic that at least one of jones, dmo, covington, canaan, or Daniels will become significantly better than what they were last year. Plus there's the pick at 25. We have the tools to become a better team.

We already have many great qualities, such as abundant scoring, 3 point shooting, and two legitimate superstars. A great backup center and a capable backup point guard are important parts of a winning team. What we lack (defense) can be solved through wise use of the MLE. We still are one of the youngest teams in the league, we just need a little time to mature. We should let our players do so as a unit.

11. krmclaughlin

krmclaughlin Member

12. ball4life66

ball4life66 Member

Basketballholic your trades are awful...they always favor the Rockets...no way any of those teams would every do those trades. Hawks wouldn't do Asik for Millsap but you want them to throw in Lou Williams and future picks. Lol awful Millsap or Thad Young>>>>>Asik

13. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm thinking our starting lineup looks like this next year.....

Lowry
    Beard
    Parsons
    Pau
    Dwight

That's if Morey doesn't pull off a deal for Kevin Durant.

14. Ericonomist

Ericonomist Member

asik will be gone; lin stays.

we get a full-MLE guy and two rookies.

15. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

damn a realistic fan. how rare. most fans are fanatical and like to hope for beyond what is real (not that it is wrong, we just want to win). the team also needs to change the coaching as well

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Well see uhhmm 2 things.

First management and ownership have stated that they are wanting and willing to clear cap space and sign a FA.

Two how they are handling parsons contract is indicative of impending moves.

Sooooo people around here on a forum/message board are discussing possible moves that the rockets could make. Not sure what so unrealistic about that. Morey has been planning for this right after they got Dwight if the roster was settled last season they would have signed more expensive and better players then he did for the bench.

17. rocketseagles07

co-sign. This dudes homer trades kill me

18. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

1) i expect lin to be traded before asik because if we can't get melo, we don't have to trade omer. we could use use lin's money on lowry.

lin could be traded to the, sixers, raptors, or jazz. for everyone but the raptors, they would use lin to get to the minimum cap (teams must spend 90% of the cap) similar to why the jazz took on jefferson and biedrins last year. it will cost us a future pick, maybe even the 25th on draft night. the raptors will see lin as a replacement for lowry, and probably require the 25th and $3M cash to cover some of the cost. all trades involving lin will probably involve dmo as a sweetener.

2) free agency begins, rockets meet with melo early on, then lowry... then we wait for melo decision.

melo's options: lakers, bulls, mavs, rockets heat - the bulls would remind melo of the knicks, and rose would remind melo of amare. pass. mavs and lakers are selling melo on a 2 year window before kobe/dirk retire... maybe. the rockets are selling melo on a 3-5 year window with 2 other stars.

the heat are not a real option. they would have to let all of their free agents go, plus have the big 3 opt out, sign melo, then resign the big 3... and then be so into the luxury tax that they'd never be able to afford any help for the big 4. its a pipe dream that melo will explore as option A, then realize all the snags, and agree to sign with the rockets.

3) with melo agreeing to sign, the rockets pull the trigger on an already agreed upon asik trade.

the, sixers, hornets, cavs, bucks, hawks, celtics (using their TE) could all be landing spots for omer. we might have to settle for a pair of second round picks in return. they know we need the cap space, so we don't really have leverage to demand a first round pick.

4) signing melo - we have the best offer for him. all other realistic suitors aren't nearly as talented as the rockets.

we can sign him outright to about 20M/yr for 4 years (his max would start at abut 22M), OR complete a S&T with the knicks so melo gets more money and the knicks get some future picks and a very large TE.

5) parsons signs a an offer sheet with dallas, phoenix, orlando, or charlotte.

most likely orlando for the florida connection, plus they'd probably be willing to offer the most ($10M/yr for 4 years). the rockets match.

6) the rockets fill out their bench with vet minimum guys bc that's call we can afford for the next few years

seimsma, k.martin, hamilton, garcia...

final roster:

dwight - steimsma
    melo - TJ - k.martin
    parsons - hamilton
    harden - daniels - garcia
    bev - canaan - undrafted rookie

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

1) i expect lin to be traded before asik because if we can't get melo, we don't have to trade omer. we could use use lin's money on lowry.

lin could be traded to the, sixers, raptors, or jazz. for everyone but the raptors, they would use lin to get to the minimum cap (teams must spend 90% of the cap) similar to why the jazz took on jefferson and biedrins last year. it will cost us a future pick, maybe even the 25th on draft night. the raptors will see lin as a replacement for lowry, and probably require the 25th and $3M cash to cover some of the cost. all trades involving lin will probably involve dmo as a sweetener.

2) free agency begins, rockets meet with melo early on, then lowry... then we wait for melo decision.

melo's options: lakers, bulls, mavs, rockets heat - the bulls would remind melo of the knicks, and rose would remind melo of amare. pass. mavs and lakers are selling melo on a 2 year window before kobe/dirk retire... maybe. the rockets are selling melo on a 3-5 year window with 2 other stars.

the heat are not a real option. they would have to let all of their free agents go, plus have the big 3 opt out, sign melo, then resign the big 3... and then be so into the luxury tax that they'd never be able to afford any help for the big 4. its a pipe dream that melo will explore as option A, then realize all the snags, and agree to sign with the rockets.

3) with melo agreeing to sign, the rockets pull the trigger on an already agreed upon asik trade.

the, sixers, hornets, cavs, bucks, hawks, celtics (using their TE) could all be landing spots for omer. we might have to settle for a pair of second round picks in return. they know we need the cap space, so we don't really have leverage to demand a first round pick.

4) signing melo - we have the best offer for him. all other realistic suitors aren't nearly as talented as the rockets.

we can sign him outright to about 20M/yr for 4 years (his max would start at abut 22M), OR complete a S&T with the knicks so melo gets more money and the knicks get some future picks and a very large TE.

5) parsons signs a an offer sheet with dallas, phoenix, orlando, or charlotte.

most likely orlando for the florida connection, plus they'd probably be willing to offer the most ($10M/yr for 4 years). the rockets match.

6) the rockets fill out their bench with vet minimum guys bc that's call we can afford for the next few years

seimsma, k.martin, hamilton, garcia...

final roster:

dwight - steimsma
    melo - TJ - k.martin
    parsons - hamilton
    harden - daniels - garcia
    bev - canaan - undrafted rookie

20. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

if we can't get a 3rd star, I want DM to get a solid bench...trade Asik or Lin to the Magic for Afflalo...a very solid back up to Harden that can score and Defend..something like that.