1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What are your opinions on UH?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by newAge_Rockets, Feb 27, 2014.

1. VanityHalfBlack

Too many Asian and Mexicans?

2. platypus

platypus Member

And to answer the OP's question, go to the school that gives you the most money.

But if you plan on going to a good grad school, make sure your grades are top notch. College is more about what you do in terms of grades and networking than where you actually graduate from.

Companies look to hire a person that fits their corporate culture and someone who is both a leader and academically sound.

3. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

We have a winner.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

While I find this is mostly true when it comes to careers (unless you're gunning for a top 2% type of job that is hyper competitive), it is important to consider what school fits you socially and emotionally. Money is important, careers are important, but you also want to go to a place where you will be comfortable, fit in, and be able to enjoy yourself outside of class.

5. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

Did you get into UT Business School? If so, I would take it. If not, UH with a $10K scholarship is not bad.

6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

When they hiring 23 yr old engineers from Spain to work in the woodlands, I think school doesn't matter.

7. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Very low, but that's because I'm a condescending Rice grad. I'm sure it's a fine school but I will never accept that. COUGAR HIGH!

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

UT is the #1 accounting program in the nation. If you do MPA employers will be begging you to join them. It's worth it IMO.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I was offered a scholarship by UH. Nothing from TAMU. I chose TAMU.

TAMU & UT are top 5 schools when it comes to their network. You get exposure to good jobs. Simple as that.

I was offered an internship at Cameron when I was at TAMU. Wound up interning at a different company in Houston.

If you get accepted into the TAMU or UT business school - pass up UH. It isn't easy getting into TAMU/UT biz school. Forfeit your scholarship - do not pass up the chance at TAMU/UT Business. It's worth $10,000.

If you're not in the business schools at TAMU/UT and expect to work your way in, then yeah, UH is an option worth considering.

10. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

Graduated FINC from Texas A&M. Zero regrets. Great school, great campus, great town - heck, I live here still.

If you're sold on accounting, check out the PPA program here at A&M (5 year Masters program). Know plenty of people that did it and interned with the Big4 Accounting Firms and now work for them.

11. tamericus

tamericus Contributing Member

As someone who went to both A&M and UH..

I would go to UT.

12. Mattj

Mattj Member

Where you went to school matters very little. Internships and job experience in your chosen field of study are what matter. If you can make it out of college close to debt free, you are winning the game.

13. DonnyMost

JFC. I'm not talking about summer.

Anybody can intern anywhere over the summer.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Lulz. It wasn't during the summer, Couggie. My degree plan included an internship. Many of the business-oriented programs at TAMU do. UT and TAMU understand the importance of internships with real companies. My friend at UT did his at Caterpillar in NY.

Like I said, the network and career placement programs at TAMU/UT are not only the best in the state, they're among the best in the entire country. Both were top 3 back in the 2000's - along with Michigan.

I'd be curious to see the % of UH grads working at a place like Deloitte compared to TAMU/UT - factoring in the smaller class size. Almost certain UT/TAMU have much higher numbers. But I could be wrong.

15. DonnyMost

Wonderful. Congrats. I saw many in my time at UH as well, most were optional. Many opted for them (because who wouldn't). My degree included none, but because of the fact I was in such an awesome market like Houston, I was able to land multiple internships by the time I graduated (without altering my degree plan). Which is my point. If it wasn't built into your degree plan, or if it wasn't foisted upon you by the University, you'd probably have a hard time finding one that you could balance with your academic schedule given the fact you live in Bumblescum, TX while yer gittin dat dare farmin' duhgree.

16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I laughed at dat dare farmin degree. I thought it was a cell tech thing only.

17. SacTown

SacTown Member

Who cares if your school is "respected". Learn a skill, learn how to present yourself, learn how business and money works and profit.

I went to UH. And in the past 10 years of my business and working career the questions of where I went to college has never even come up. The people I work with and work for don't care - because I have the in demand skills they need and I've proved it.

18. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

Honestly if you plan on living in TX, UH will get u a good job with GPR , connections , internships.

19. da1

da1 Member

If money is the only issue, UH. Otherwise UT without a doubt.

20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

because what matters is what companies recruit at your school.

Let's say you want to go into prestigious ibanking, you have a better chance of doing that if you go to UT than if you went to UH, because all the most prestigious companies come to UT in order hire people.