1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What are your opinions on UH?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by newAge_Rockets, Feb 27, 2014.

1. MosKeemYao

MosKeemYao Member

As an actual Accounting grad from UH, i can say that UT and A&M make getting an internship a little easier, but it is not worth it in higher tuition cost. Accounting is not like finance for investment banking jobs, in accounting everyone starts off at staff no matter UT UH or A&M. Getting internships/jobs in Accounting is the easiest out of all business majors and there are plenty of opportunities at UH.

2. Andrew Wiggins

yeah, theyre one of the best public universities for business i think.

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I went to get information for the engineering program and it said that I need min a 3.0 gpa on the overall all college level. My question is since I already have an associates degree in applied science which I feel like I coasted, would my gpa count against it even though it's not related to this major?

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

You're misunderstanding my point. UH is located in Houston. Texas A&M is located in College Station. Who do you think has more internship opportunities for students while they're in school?

6. chocolatebear

chocolatebear Member

Believe it or not. College is what you make of it. Sorry for the bs answer, but it's true.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Go to the best school you can get into. Over the long-term price doesn't matter.

8. AXG

AXG Member

This. I graduated just as UH became a Tier One school so the value of their degrees have gone up.

9. DonnyMost

http://www.uh.edu/about/tier-one/

Tier One research.

Still a long way to go for us to get to Tier One undergrad. Although we are ahead of Texas Tech in the race for 3rd place on the state's public pecking order, but not by a lot.

Unfortunately the reality in Texas for undergraduate education support from the state is like this:

UT
    A&M
    Everyone else

10. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

This is flat out wrong; not only in Houston itself but especially in Dallas and Austin/San Antonio.

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Over the summer, when the most prestigious and most meaningful banking and accounting internships to getting full-time roles are conducted, kids are recruited from Texas, A&M and all over the country.

12. DonnyMost

Lets not kid ourselves, that is very much true.

If you want to land a job outside of Houston coming out of school, UH is not your best bet. I decided I wanted to live in Houston as a senior in HS, so UH made fantastic sense for me. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have gone.

Like I said, the opportunities presented in the city of Houston are just outstanding and something students and recent graduates of UH can *really* leverage to their advantage if they're proactive/smart.

13. DonnyMost

Right, but what about the Spring/Fall? That's missed opportunity if you're not in the right market.

I took advantage of that fact and had internships every semester my last two years at UH, something I probably would have had a much more difficult time doing in Austin or CS.

14. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

The answer has always been Rice. They used to leave their Monstertrak page open and post all the companies coming to their career fairs and recruiting for specific programs, U of H wasn't even close.

15. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Apologies for my response earlier, misread "at" as "than."

16. DonnyMost

I'm aware the career fair and post-grad recruitment isn't as good as Rice's, but that is irrelevant to the discussion. Once again, plenty of opportunities presented to UH students in terms of career preparation because of the growing economy and robust market the school sits on top of. UH students can leverage that if they're smart and proactive. If you don't do any career prep, and expect to have just as easy of a time finding a job after college as UT/A&M/Rice grads (especially if you're searching outside of Houston), you're gonna have a bad time. That is not a secret to anyone.

#36 DonnyMost, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  17. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

If coasted means your GPA is less than 3.0, than yes. Transfer applicants are judged by GPA, credits and nothing else.

18. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

It elucidates the manner in which U of H is marginalized even within their own city, which takes away whatever perceived advantage they have over UT or A&M. Finance in particular is competitive enough and there are some investment and oil and gas firms that don't even look at U of H kids.

19. platypus

platypus Member

False. UH kids definitely have an advantage over UT and A&M kids regarding in semester interships and co-ops.

And the days of companies not recruiting at UH are gone. As an engineer i've seen a surge im UH recruitment and respect for studemts who earn a degree(engineering) from uh. Saying UH is "marganilized" is an ignorant statement.

20. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

Take the scholarship. Where you graduate from is overrated imo. You will be able to find internships and career jobs fine as long as you actually try and apply yourself. No better or worse than UT or A&M.