1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What are your opinions on UH?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by newAge_Rockets, Feb 27, 2014.

1. newAge_Rockets

So the University of Houston has offered me $10,000 a year in scholarships. What I want to know is, would a degree from UH be respectable? Would it help me get a job/internship in the city? Should I take the scholarship or go to a more prestigious school (like A&M, UT)?

Major: Accounting and Finance

I know this is a weird place to ask this question, but I'm betting on some of you fellow houstonians to tell me about your experience with UH.

2. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

It is a great school. I went there and I even missed my time there. I majored in accounting and took classes there. The professors were very helpful and friendly. I think you will love there.

3. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Whatever gives you money to go you take it. You should do your first two years there and if you are able to transfer to a bigger college like UT or A&M go for it. I'm in UH Downtown and I like it, I plan on going to UH when I'm done with my basics here.

4. SexyButIgnorant

It's a good school and it's only getting better. I'm a History major, so I'm the last guy you should be taking advice from, but for what it's worth, the professors are terrific. Campus is nice and from what I understand, it's certainly gaining recognition.

5. SK34

SK34 Member

People that are not from Houston actually believe UH is a really great College to attend. Since we already live in Houston and here about UH all the time, we don't appreciate it as much.

6. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Network is bigger and better at UT/TAMU.

7. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

UH has become better since getting that push to become one of the Tier One universities in Texas.

If you are going for Accounting, do it.

I'll be there next semester.

;p

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

The best thing about UH is the fact it is directly plugged into the healthiest job market in the country. UT and A&M certainly have fantastic networks. But you can't intern at a Fortune 500 while going to school at UT/A&M. That is what I did with my UH experience that put me ahead of the game. I started internships my junior year and had 4 by the time I graduated. Put me WAY ahead of my competition in the job market. Also remember, student debt is forever. However, damn near nobody gives a crap where you went to school, what your major was, or what your grades were 2-3 years after you graduate.

9. Juxtaposed Jolt

I personally went to the school that threw the most money at me, which was A&M (free ride). UH would have cost me $14k and Baylor $31k.

10. DwightHoward13

UH with a scholarship is a better value for the business degree than A&M. UT is probably a better value than both even at a high cost, but if you cannot afford UT, go to UH.

11. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

This is my first year here and I am really loving it. My only problem would be that I think around 70% of the students commute. Not really a big issue, but the campus is dead during the weekends.

12. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

That's not true. UH is a good school but students at UT and A&M get plenty of internships, especially in Accounting (appears to be what the student will major in).

To answer the OP's question, if you are majoring in Accounting then go to UT. They have the #1 or #2 ranked program in the country every year. UH isn't bad, but they aren't the best in the nation at what you want to major in.

13. Andrew Wiggins

do people ever transfer out of a school like uh?

its the im too lazy to go anywhere else school and once youre there your there.

14. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

If you're doing accounting go to UT over UH. Not even a question

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Doesn't UT have the best accounting program in the nation? LOL

16. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

These two posts. /end thread.

17. Andrew Wiggins

best business school too i think.

18. DwightHoward13

Nah, Tier 1: Penn (Wharton), MIT (Sloan) Cal-Berkeley, Michigan Tier 2: NYU, Virginia, UNC, Texas

19. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

No, UPenn does, but UT has the #1 accounting program in the country. One of my friends is doing a masters in accounting and told me how competitive it was.

20. Jontro

Jontro Member

UH parking is great also.