1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Entropy

Entropy Member

I keep meaning to read them because they sound right up my alley, but always put them off for whatever reason. Thanks for the reminder. And one minor correction--its Laird Barron's the Beautiful Thing that Awaits us All short story collection that I highly recommend. Swift to Chase I wasn't that thrilled with, but maybe you'll like it more than I did.

#281 Entropy, Nov 22, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
    Xerobull likes this.
  2. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Reading A Promised Land by Barack Obama now. So far so good. I like his story telling and narration style on the audiobook. Barack is da GOAT.

#282 Squirtle, Nov 23, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
    Xerobull likes this.
  3. davo

davo Contributing Member

My last few reads:

From the Earth to the Moon - Jules Verne
    Dune - Frank Herbert
    The Postman - David Brinn
    Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams (originally read this a loooong time ago..)

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I love these books. I’m on book 5 now.

What I really like about this series is how effortlessly the author incorporates AI and robots into human society. We’re already dependent on them to an extent and will really be so in the future. In the books it’s to a point where it’s utterly inefficient to not let AI/bots do their job.

5. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Recently finished these:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Reading this now:

[​IMG]
    Thinking about ordering this:
    [​IMG]

B-Bob and Os Trigonum like this.
  6. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this is very good

81h34i6M8wS.jpg

Xerobull likes this.
  8. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Xerobull likes this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

10. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Finished up Leviathan Falls the other night, going to move on to The Fifth Season.

11. dmoneybangbang

I read Ender's Game, but none of the other books until I decided to jump back in.

[​IMG]

This was written in 2016 and is a prequel series to the original Ender's Game. It's good, but Ender's Game is still one of the GOATs for me. There was another series before this that carries over many of the characters, but I didn't find it hard to gather what happened.

Deckard, Xerobull and FranchiseBlade like this.
  12. Xerobull

I read the Chainsaw Man manga over the past week or so. It’s fairly good, and the weird idea behind the chainsaw head makes sense after you understand the premise of the series.

[​IMG]

After a few boring attempts at some fantasy series, I switched over to sci-fi after my wife commented that the inhabitants of the Star Wars universe are very lucky that gravity is the same on every planet.

I discovered a trilogy called Rosewater, a near future ‘Psychicpunk’/Cyberpunk series set in the mid 2000’s after an alien fungus lands on the earth and changes the atmosphere to a point where some people develop psychic abilities. It’s set in Nigeria which drew me to it; I love reading about stories set in non-Western countries. It’s very good so far.

[​IMG]

13. Buck Turgidson

recipes for scallops

14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Finished reading The Financial Lives of The Poets which was laugh-out-loud funny.

Now I'm reading Everybody Behaves Badly and about a third of the way through, I really enjoy it.

15. Xerobull

The Next Chapter has Arrived: ‘Marvel’s Wastelanders: Wolverine’
    The latest installment of the multi-part audio epic ‘Marvel’s Wastelanders’ stars Robert Patrick as Wolverine
    BY MARVEL
    Marvel’s Wastelanders: Wolverine, premieres today, Monday, June 13.

Marvel's Wastelanders: Wolverine is the fourth installment in the “Marvel's Wastelanders” audio epic, following the success of Marvel’s Wastelanders: Star-Lord, Marvel’s Wastelanders: Hawkeye, and Marvel's Wastelanders: Black Widow. The all-new 10-episode series is written and directed by Peabody Award winner Jenny Turner Hall, with sound design by Michael Odmark and Daniel Brunell, and original music by Rhett Miller and John Burdick.

https://marvels-wastelanders-old-man-star-lord.simplecast.com/episodes/chapter-one-professor-logan

The series stars Robert Patrick as Wolverine, and features performances by Ashlie Atkinson (Kitty Pryde), Rachel Crowl (Red Skull), Isabella Ferreira (Sofia), Jennifer Ikeda (Rachel Summers), Justin Min (Justin), Clarke Peters (Professor X), Daniel Sunjata (Cyclops), and Carl Tart (Kevin).

Thirty years ago, Super Villains did the unthinkable, they won. After killing the Avengers, the X-Men, and nearly every other Super Hero, Red Skull assumed the office of President of the United States. Since that day, a traumatized Wolverine (Robert Patrick) has wandered in a daze of survivor’s guilt and self-loathing over his failure to protect his fellow X-Men and their mutant students.

Wolverine encounters Sofia, a young mutant in-hiding and vows to transport her into the safe hands of estranged former X-Men Kitty Pryde and Rachel Summers. When the Red Skull and his top lieutenant Crossbones frame Wolverine and escalate anti-mutant sentiment to dangerous new levels, our hero realizes that his only option may be to face Red Skull and his savage allies head on. But a shocking, terrible truth may destroy Wolverine first...

On the series, writer and director Jenny Hall says, “Fans are going to lose it over Robert Patrick as Old Man Logan! You cannot stop listening to his gritty timbre — he is Wolverine — and Logan’s story here will shock you to your core!” She continued, “From a directing standpoint, this series is epic — a lot of characters, settings, and action. I can’t wait for fans to listen to this series. I hope it’ll blow your mind, break your heart, and give you something to believe in.”

The series will initially be available exclusively on the SXM App and Marvel Podcasts Unlimited on Apple Podcasts. Episodes will be widely available one week later on Pandora, Stitcher, and all major podcast platforms in the U.S. Learn more at marvel.com/wastelanders

16. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Been reading some random Harlan Coben books. Pretty good junk reads.

Xerobull and bobrek like this.
  17. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

A depressing, rambling, nearly incoherent mess...I'm really enjoying it.

51QWDNh9z1L.jpg

Xerobull likes this.
  18. dmoneybangbang

[​IMG]

Just randomly picked up this book based off my Kindle recommendation. Decent book. Coped and pasted a description and review that pretty much matched my thoughts:

I'll just add that the issue with the PVP and Spaceship fighting is that it dragged on and was a bit too wordy. Otherwise, a decent book and I'll definitely grab Book2 whenever it comes out.

Xerobull likes this.
  19. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

I finally got around to listening to the audiobook during my commute back home from work. Not taking everything as gospel but it's been an interesting perspective.

[​IMG]

Amazon Link

Going to start this one afterward based on a recommendation, looks solid so far we'll see.

[​IMG]

Amazon link

#299 OkayAyeReloaded, Sep 3, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
    Xerobull likes this.
  20. Buck Turgidson