1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What are the prospects of getting Spanoulis in here next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dram1, Aug 22, 2005.

1. dram1

dram1 Member

I hate to be greedy with the awesome acquisitions theis offseason and all, but I am always looking forward and I would hate to see a potentially talented player slip away from a Rockets uniform. I hoped to see Vassilis Spanoulis this summer, but he started to turn too many heads in Europe. Does anyone believe he has a decent chance of making the team or is he even worth writing about?

2. dram1

dram1 Member

The guy apparently made drastic improvements in his game...enough to stir up offers from teams in Europe. He was supposed to be somewhat of an answer to our question at point guard who was "true" to the position, but that never materialized. Instead of reading hope-inspiring articles of his summer league play, we were blessed with bleak glimpses into the future with reports on Malicke Garnett...I mean Badiane. Thanks to a great offseason, we were cleansed of those frieghtening thoughts of Badiane in a Rockets uniform. But all this still leaves me wondering if Vassilis Spanoulis can be our Steve Nash of the future. I hope we get to find out next season.

3. thesaint

thesaint Member

Well from the last report he did mention that Houston rockets really likes him and he wants to be ready for the NBA. He feels that he is not quiet ready for the NBA and wants to contribute right away when he comes so he will spend more time in Europe to develop and also he did get better offers from Europe.

He also mentioned that joining the NBA is his dream. Houston Rockets and CD has shown lot of interest in him.

This was reported in hoopshype.com while back. And it makes sense as well as Rockets has not pushed hard to acquire a proven PG this year which we really needed and will work with current PG's, Sura and James this year.

I am almost sure that Spanoulis will come to Houston next year as we wont see many of our guards in our roster right now.

4. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

He's got a manageable buyout of $400,000 Euros, next summer. And our backcourt isn't getting any younger. All reports say that he's playing well over there, so another season of improvement should definitely make him roster material. I think there is a very good chance that he'll come over next year.

Very good case scenario: in two years Head and Span combine to provide a strong PG rotation.

Best case scenario: one of these guys breaks out to be a Parker/Bibby/Terry caliber PG.

Either way, I have a good feeling that at least one of these guys can be our "PG of the Future."

5. dram1

dram1 Member

Key word: "future" I just like to know tht our team is on the right track even in the the seasons to come. That's why I asked about this guy. I am confident that wwhat we have now, we will put a dent in the western conference, but our guards are pretty up in age. I'd like to see Achilles in red and white next year!

6. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Yea, I agree. It is nice to know he's out there ready to bring on board. And I also agree that our current roster is pretty solid. We know Barry, Ward and DA are almost sure bets to be gone. Wesley, Mooch and even Sura (if his back doesn't heal) are even likely to be gone.

That would mean our current backcourt is completely gone in the near future.

Here's to the Greek and Head.

7. micah1j

micah1j Member

He's got a contract for the equivalent of like 1.4M USD so we don't really have the money this year. He is now in the top Euro league team in Greece. I hope he comes to training camp if it doesn't conflict with his other teams schedule. I think their season in Euro league doesn't start until next year so this could happen. If he continues to improve we will sign him with part of the MLE next summer.

8. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

I don't like the fact that the guy has not made an appearance in the states. If he is so anxious to play in the NBA why hasn't he played in a summer league or come to a training camp to see what it feels like to compete on an NBA level. You know some guys just like being the biggest fish in a small pond so maybe Europe fits him and he is most comfortable over there.

I hope not because we could use him next year.