1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What are the Chinese Fans Saying?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Jul 21, 2007.

Tags:
  1. jaylee777

jaylee777 Member

seriously...why even waste your time replying to a post like his. Just think about what kind of person posts something like that...do you really want to let someone of that intelligence level get to you? :rolleyes:

2. maud'dib

maud'dib Rookie

right especially since hotballa admitted he is chinese

3. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Kill the thread before it gets worse..

4. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

...I am in disbelief that this thread has made it to three pages...

5. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Guys, no need to descend to this dude's level. Let him spout all the nonsense he wants... does not make him better than anyone else, American or Chinese.

This are some reactions (yes, some) I have been hearing from Chinese fans:

1. Yi soap opera.

80% of the fans want him to go to the Bucks, stay with the Bucks, and prove himself with the Bucks. Basically, the Chinese mentality is this - you are a rookie, you are an outsider, you are unproven. You therefore stay humble, work your ass off to prove yourself, and display and confirm your abilities.

Pouting and refusing to play for the Bucks has caused many fans to turn off from Yi (and his Yi team). The Chinese are not stupid; they can size up a situation pretty quickly and come to a reasonable conclusion as well as any other race. And to them, Yi refusing to play for the Bucks, despite all their efforts to welcome him and give him a hospitable treatment, desecrates quite a number of Chinese principles and culture.

2. Yao's criticism.

I think it has been frequently posted in other threads that the 'criticism' was 'government motivated'; that the Chinese sporting body (not the top levels of the government, they have more important things to do then waste time on basketball) wanted to show that they still have control over their biggest star; despite him playing in America and such, he still has to answer to the national team. Well, you will be glad to hear that the same daily that published that criticism has just published a 'praise' of Yao after tremendous pressure from the public. I will post the link once I have it.

How did this pressure from the public come along? Again, it's very simple. The Chinese people are NOT stupid (regardless of the sentiments of one JD317². They can clearly see for their own eyes, Yao's dedication to his country and to charity. They know about his shoulder injury. Heck, they know how determined he is to bear the flag for his country at the olympic games. You don't have that many reporters covering you and not knowing what are your thoughts and happenings. And regardless of all this 'Mao throwback impressions', the Chinese do value a stable family life. They believe that family is one of the key ingredients to the security and vitality of your life and health. Therefore, the Chinese are happy that Yao Ming is getting married.

3. Steve Francis's return.

While I am not sure about the Chinese impression of Steve Francis basketball wise (though I am confident they would share the same opinions as most posters on this board), their mostly favourable impression of him stems from his RELATIONSHIP with Yao. As you know, Francis took very good care of Yao when he first came to the NBA. They were even calling each other Big Brother in Chinese. The Chinese have very loyal bones in them; especially loyalty to family and to the people who have helped you in the past. Steve Francis's actions in taking care of and looking out for Yao Ming (who is an icon to the Chinese) have won him alot of respect and admiration from the Chinese for his personal side. Therefore, if anything, the Chinese are positive about Steve Francis's return because he would be back together with Yao Ming again.

I hope I have been able to answer the queries posted here satisfactorily. Please do correct me if I am wrong, and I apologise if I have mistakenly insulted anyone. It was never my intention to do so.

6. jaylee777

jaylee777 Member

this is such a ridiculous thread but I feel the need to try and help a young kid like JD317 realize his flawed reasoning and feelings that stem from it. You say that you really "hate" that after Yao Ming...China wants to love basketball- why is that? People usually embrace things to greater extent when they can relate to it is some way right? Do you think there is something wrong with that? For example, do you really hate that there are african americans or minorities that love baseball? Probably not, and you probably think thats a silly thought; but think about the past when major league baseball was only played by caucasians. A guy like Jackie Robinson comes into the league and by being a great player and also a class act, he gives african americans and other minorities someone they can relate to and respect. It creates interest in the game from people that may not have paid that much attention before and future generations grow up loving the game and in turn that produces a greater diversity of players. The sport becomes more internationally appreciated...isn't that a good thing? Im sure you love basketball...dont you consider it a good thing when as many people as possible start to see and appreciate something that you think is great?

7. allforone

allforone Member

All agreed ,and that : before Yao joined the Rox, francis was already an idol after the 2000 slam dunk contest and for his talent & style , here in China.

Personally, I kept many videos and games of him with Dream . And I like the way he challenges the opponents.

after 2002, we happily found that he was so nice to Yao ( as you said , we Chinese do focus on loyality ), and therefore , steve was favored even more . Yes , we kinda of vote him into the Allstar , but that is more because he was playing like one .

And we are so thrilled that he came back to the ROX , as an old friend and a booster to the ROX

8. zhaoce

zhaoce New Member

Do you really know the English grammar?
    or you just construe ur Chinese in English directly
    and who gave u the authority to use the word "we"?
    would u please just use the word "I" instead of "we" please?
    For 90% Chinese fans who voted from the biggest hoop BBS, they support that Yao should not join that so stupid match before the season and the truth is that the author who commented that Yao is a asocial guy, just wanna be famous in China. It is not big deal for Yao.
    wanna = want to

9. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Actually, about the voting to the Allstars, I think it is a serious misperception that Chinese people vote for Yao or his team mates all the time. The Chinese do no always vote based on the player's country of origin or based on the player's sentiment. Many a Chinese fan would simply vote for their favourite player. Who are the favourites? Tracy McGrady, Steve Nash, Allen Iverson, Kobe Bryant, and yes, Steve Francis. The Chinese prefer skillfull and quick players... they normally do not show much interests in power players like Carlos Boozer, Amare Stoudemire, Tim Duncan, etc. The only power forward who is extremely popular in China is Kevin Garnett, and you cannot claim him to be a bruiser, rather he is a very skilled forward. The reason why the Chinese favour skillfull and quick players is because they see this players as the ones they can possibly emulate. The Chinese genetically do not have large body frames and strength, but rely more on swiftness and skill.

Now LeBron James and Dwayne Wade are on the rise too in terms publicity in China. I believe many a young Chinese lad would fancy himself as a future Dwayne Wade. Look for Dwayne Wade's Allstar voting to rise further.

I hope I was able to clarify further on the supposedly large Chinese vote in the Allstars. Again, please do correct me if I have mentioned anything wrong. Thanks.

10. southtexan

southtexan Member

Dear american,

Hello to your mother=ching-a-tu-madre.

11. P.P.Nicky

P.P.Nicky Member

I support your comments. All your mentioned is correct.

12. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

cao ni ma :D

EDIT: sorry, you asked for it :p

13. Mapula

Mapula Member

You know that's why David Stern prevents high-school students to enter NBA directly. I mean some high-school students are mature and smart, but others do not know how to get along with and respect people... That will jeopardize the league.

14. YaoBlock

YaoBlock New Member

Yeah. The first star remembered in my brain is not Michael Jordan, not Hakem, but Rodman. When he played for Spurs, his looking attracted me.

15. YaoBlock

YaoBlock New Member

Right, cao means ****. :eek:

16. rocketman1979

rocketman1979 Contributing Member

This should be easier to pronounce

deal nay ga low mole

:D

17. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Wow, your insults are devastating. While you're at it, why not celebrate with taking English lessons. After you're done with that, you might want to take classes on recognizing sarcasm. Good job, you make the Chinese fans proud.

18. Possum

Possum Member

The only thing I got out of this thread is a new name for my ignore lists. Thanks JD317! :p The list just keeps growing.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

When I posted. .. this is not what I had in mind.
    Goodness. . . this is ridiculous

those that are reporting the info . .thanks
    Those caught in some racial crap . . . Go to another thread with that maddness

I am just scouring the world for Rocket Info
    and wanted to see how the Chinese fans felt about the off seasons moves
    in general . .and Steve in Particular

Rocket River

20. rocBJ

rocBJ Member

I am from Beijing, totally agree!~~

1. Yao did the right thing, he should get some rest this summer. That journalist who commented on Yao is a stupid *******

2. Yi Jianlian is a stupid ******* too -___- he is already lucky enough to be picked... he should really play some basketball first before asking for too much

3. Everyone is crazy about Steve's coming home, we will vote him into all star again~

90% of my friends agree what I said above :)