1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What are the chances the Astros try to trade for Paul Goldschmidt

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, Jul 4, 2024.

1. what

what Member

Most people are saying all vlad needs is another donut. Dude is overrated and overweight. Plus he is going to cost a fortune both in prospects and contract.
    Goldschmidt is cheaper and (while it is a risk) a much more manageable one. Nobody wants another Abreu repeat.

2. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I'm not privy to any conversation that occurred regarding Abreu's return from Florida but if Bagwell reported that there was no fixing the problem the result would be to bring him back and spend a few days trying to make any kind of trade. When none presented he was released. I see no reason to believe Bagwell said he was ready to resume his duties. We all knew how that was going to turn out but giving it a chance was the right thing to do for Jose's sake.

3. scott_summers

scott_summers Member

I keep saying this too. Why is no one talking about him. I think I'd rather have him than Vlady

IBTL likes this.
  4. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Well the good news is he's apparently Astros number 1 target for 1B. Bad news, Diamondbacks are within 3 games of a wild card so they might not sell.

5. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

He literally said he "liked what I see" and that they "ran out of time"

6. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

That was for public consumption what was said privately we will never know.

mikol13 likes this.
  7. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I'd rather have Walker than Vladdy for 2024.

But replacing Bregman's bat next year is a priority as well which is why Crane and Brown appear to be prioritizing Vladdy

scott_summers likes this.
  8. lnchan

Supporting Member

I wouldn't be surprised if Bregman actually... stays.

IowaAstro likes this.
  9. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Bregman has been my favorite player since he made those 2 great plays at home in the 2017 postseason.

That said, I don't see a way Crane and Brown give him enough years for him to accept a deal. I just think he will get multiple 8+ year offers and Astros don't match so he moves on.

He is absolutely a valuable player and deserves a bit of consideration as an Astro icon and top 10 postseason performer in multiple stats.

But I think that is limited to a max of 7 years and $25M per. And preferably 6 and $22.5M.

I think he will get at least 1 offer of 8 yrs and $200M+ and the difference between it and the Astros offer means he will have to take it.

10. lnchan

Supporting Member

Biggio stayed despite having better offer from Colorado if I recall... just have a gut feeling that the chances of Bregman staying are much higher than Springer or Correa... but that's a low bar to clear.

11. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I hope you are right.

I never saw the numbers, but my recollection of that off season is that Biggio ended up getting more from the Astros than they originally were willing/able to pay Bagwell restructured his deal to give them the money.

Who on this team would do that? And even if it was offered, would Crane agree to do it?

Would the players union even allow that today?

lnchan likes this.
  12. lnchan

Supporting Member

My understanding is money can be deferred but not reduced. I can see only Altuve doing it but he's already on a bargain in all honesty. Spending that much on Abreu and Montero hamstrings things a bit.

13. MadMax

MadMax Member

Biggio was offered more by the Rockies and Cardinals. He has a well deserved statue outside MMP. I’m not sure MMP exists today were it not for Craig Biggio. The margin of victory for that referendum was razor thin.

Stephen66, Jake Tower, IBTL and 2 others like this.
  14. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Totally agree with this. The Astros are tight lipped about everything. Why in the world would they spin it any other way but positive?

I think this even plays into how Dana handles certain things in the media. Pump guys up you’re willing to trade.

15. MadMax

MadMax Member

Saw an article in the NY Post yesterday that linked the Astros to him…saying he was first on their list.

Rock Block likes this.
  16. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Bloody hell, where's me fish and chips?!

Stephen66 and MadMax like this.
  17. MadMax

MadMax Member

Right? But Biggio is super Italian, so we’re looking at calamari with some home made marinara

IBTL likes this.
  18. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

But of course.

MadMax likes this.
  19. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

Bags said his timing was back and he was ready and Espada repeated that

20. raining threes

Framber's stuff is as good as it's ever been, he's struggling with location and is a bit of a mental midget. He really misses Strom.