1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What are the chances that Altuve does not become a first ballot Hall of Famer

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, Oct 22, 2023.

1. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes

Never held accountable?? Huh? Blame that on Manfred and the CBA. They were given immunity to talk. I would hope voters (not fans because they’re idiots) do their due diligence. The org lost two years of first round picks, 5 million in fines, Crane fired the GM and manager. If the voters in ten years don’t understand how the CBA works and what Manfred did then shame on them and they shouldn’t be voting. What a cluster **** of stupidity…..

2. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

Manfraud saying the Astros will receive a comprehensive investigation then going through the motions for the Yankees, the Tyler Skaggs death, and Ohtani gambling allegations with a "quick" investigation is beyond befuddling.

3. Qan

Qan Member

Seriously, I'm tired of all these "fans" that claims the Astros were never held accountable. The Astros got screwed over by Manfred, and they're still here competing. **** Manfred, that corrupt pos.

4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Member

Altuve walks into the hall of fame with an asterisk. That asterisk being the worst baserunner ever in the hall of fame.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

There were people at Target field clapping when Altuve got hit. Even a good friend of mine was saying Altuve was a whiner and complainer which is why people hate him.

Let’s just say they tested our friendship.

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

He's the greatest Astro ever and will have statue outside of MM when he retires, so I don't care. Hopefully he will have a couple more rings and pennants before he retires.

itzIce, clos4life, desihooper and 4 others like this.
  7. verse

verse Member

I would love to see a deep dive into the Big Red Machine v current Astros run with Joe Morgan v Altuve as the central characters. Many consider Morgan to be the greatest 2nd baseman ever. When all is said and done, J Altuve might have a very compelling case as the greatest 2B in the modern era. At least outside of the basepaths. He's horrendous as a baserunner, but one of the alltime greats with a stick in his hands.

IdStrosfan likes this.
  8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

And Joe Morgan started his career with
    The Astros.

we’ve been blessed to have three(4 if you want to count Jeff Kent) 2nd basemen playing for the Astros.

vince and Radricky like this.
  9. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

He'll be on the ballot as Jose 'F*ck" Altuve.

Rock Block likes this.
  10. lnchan

Supporting Member

Kaz Matsui is a Japanese Hall of Famer...

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  11. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Nellie Fox, Joe Morgan, Craig Biggio.

Jeff Kent. missed out on regular ballot but should get consideration in 8-10 years on veterans committee ballot.

Altuve could be 5th Astros 2b to make HOF.

Bill Doran and Phil Garner were very good also but not HOF good, or length of career.

rocketsjudoka and Radricky like this.
  12. vince

vince Member

If Altuve isn’t a first ballot hall of famer, it demonstrates the politics and sway the Yankees have.

The Astros have been the bump in the road for the Yankees for the past decade. Even in 2015 when the Astros lost to the Royals, it was the Yankees they beat in the play in game.

13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

I’d call it 100% that he doesn’t get it on the first ballot. Even if by then he has compiled the stats to warrant it, the corrupt anti-Astro voters will not allow it. Wouldn’t it be wonderful if just one media outlet or maybe just one journalist could be non-bias.

clos4life likes this.
  14. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I don't see this.

Altuve has a ways to go. I do not believe he us a HOF now, similar to Pedroia and Utley, just a bit shirt. But I do see him close and getting there is 2-3 more average+ seasons.

Maybe I'm naive but I think with turnover in voters and the respect Altuve has among baseball people gets him in on 1st ballot if he adds enough stats to deserve it

15. lnchan

Supporting Member

Already see it with Wagner...

vince likes this.
  16. lnchan

Supporting Member

Current ratings by Bref:

Hall of Fame Statistics
    Black Ink
    Batting - 29 (75th), Average HOFer ≈ 27

Gray Ink
    Batting - 94 (309th), Average HOFer ≈ 144

Hall of Fame Monitor
    Batting - 166 (74th), Likely HOFer ≈ 100

Hall of Fame Standards
    Batting - 43 (136th), Average HOFer ≈ 50

JAWS
    Second Base (21st):
    52.1 career WAR | 39.8 7yr-peak WAR | 46.0 JAWS | 4.8 WAR/162
    Average HOF 2B (out of 20):
    69.7 career WAR | 44.5 7yr-peak WAR | 57.1 JAWS | 5.1 WAR/162

17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe you’re right. I just have a complete disdain for the journalist profession at this point including sports.

BlindHog likes this.
  18. Nick

Nick Member

Wagner only deserves to get in now because they let in Hoffman.... and once they did that, they basically now have to let in all closers based solely on "save numbers".

Guys like Jansen, Kimbrel, Chapman, K-rod, Nathan, Papelbon, etc.... are all going to claim their careers and numbers were every bit as impactful as Hoffman or Wagner.

Rivera is the only one that truly deserves it and thats just as much (if not more) because of his playoff/WS dominance as it is his longevity and regular season numbers.

19. Nook

Nook Member

Jose Altuve right now:

- 9 time all star
    - 6 time silver slugger
    -MVP winner and 3 times a top 5 Finalist
    - 3 time batting title winner
    - 4 times lead the league in hits
    - 2 times lead the league in steals

His counting stats are also approaching Hall of Fame level, especially for a second baseman.

He quietly has over 400 doubles and has a chance to break into the top 20 all time.

He will likely have around 2,250 hits after this season - has a career average of .307 in a post steroids era.

Altuve isn't in yet - but he is on that track at this point.

IdStrosfan and Buck Turgidson like this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

I don't about Wagner - 15 seasons as a reliever and a career era of 2.30 is extremely impressive and he retired after arguably his best season ever.

It is hard to argue that he isn't one of the 10 best relievers even.

vince likes this.