1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What are the chances that Altuve does not become a first ballot Hall of Famer

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, Oct 22, 2023.

1. The Beard

The Beard Member

I think you underestimate the ignorance and hatred of a lot of the mlb writers that get to vote

Should he easily be a HOF? Absolutely

I’ll be surprised if the writers vote him in though, he will likely get in by the veterans committee

2. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Member

Agree to disagree, Altuve is not going to get caught up in that........he will be a first pick, will a few idiots not vote, sure they will but this will not be stop him. The dude is too likeable and to many of his own teammates came to his defense...........Altuve is the kind of guy you could go have a beer with, whereas guys like Bonds, Sosa, Palmiero were egotistical bastardos

3. Nick

Nick Member

Beltran's eligibility/results will be a decent litmus test. The PED use "informal" ban by HOF voters has been pretty much uniform (they lump the ones named/implicated all together.... while letting the select few that didn't get officially 'busted' in).

Don't need to worry about this now. He's got at least another 5 years of playing.... then 5 years of waiting to be eligible... then they vote.

As of right now, I guarantee you nobody remembers exactly what their "mood" or "mindset" was 10 years ago about anything, let alone something as trivial as this whole thing is turning out to be (all teams were doing something, they've got pitch com now, players who have moved on no longer get booed, the Astros still having success is keeping the story just mildly relevant still).

Hell, in 2014 people were wondering if Altuve was even going to be on this team whenever they finally would turn the corner (which in 2014, they were showing signs of for sure).

Also, if you really time it out, it will be ~2034 when he's eligible. Some of the older voters that still yell at clouds right now will be dead (sorry, morbidity). Others will be just slightly fuzzy about stuff that happened with this team SEVENTEEN years prior.

4. Elienator

Elienator Member

The first year thing is weird to me. You are either a hall of famer or not and that doesn’t really change 5 or 8 years after you are done playing. Maybe by the time Altuve is on the ballot enough sports writers will have stopped being dumb about not voting for guys on the first ballot.

That said, I think he’s a definite hall of famer, but not at the top level of guys like Morgan, Hornsby, or Carew. At this point I’d compare him more to the Sandberg, Biggio, Alomar right around the average HOF second baseman.

Altuve could be closer to the top level if his defense and base running were good.

5. old astro fan

old astro fan Member

I compare Jose's stats (at this point) to Paul Molitor, who is a first ballot Hall of Famer. If he doesn't get first ballot, only the trash can would keep him from that honor.

6. Elienator

Elienator Member

Monitor wasn’t as good at his peak, but had a really long and productive career. He has 1100 more hits and 20 more career WAR.
    Altuve could theoretically get there with 6 more productive seasons. If he does do that he’d be a first ballot HOF no question.

Only playing 90 games last year didn’t help Altuve in the big round numbers department.

7. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

After hearing the points made during this discussion it occurred to me that I will probably not live long enough to know the outcome of Altuve's hall of fame run. I will assume the votes will be made in good conscience and Altuve will be a first rounder so as not to have this to worry over.

8. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

All it takes is 25% to sink him... and Los Angeles and New York have a disproportionate share.

The Beard likes this.
  9. Nick

Nick Member

Not really… and a lot of those guys won’t be voting in 2034 or 2036 or whenever he finally decides to retire.

Also Beltran will be in by then too, which will further make this a non-issue.

10. lnchan

Supporting Member

11. lnchan

Supporting Member

Athletic on Altuve's HOF case...

ALTUVE: In an alternative universe, Jose Altuve would be higher on these charts. He’s a .307 career hitter, with three batting titles and a real shot at joining the 3,000-Hit, 300-Homer, 300-Steal Club. And considering only Willie Mays and Alex Rodriguez are in that club, that would pretty much seal this deal.

However … have you ever noticed that Jose Altuve is an Astro? So when his name hits the ballot, some of you will be reminiscing about trash-can lids, I’m sure.

I don’t think he deserves the abuse, based on what we know. But is any member of the 2017-24 Astros going to make it to the stage in Cooperstown? Hey, you’ve got me. I just know the keepers of our red zone weren’t ready to admit him yet. So stay tuned.

Yet... the list includes Verlander and Cole...

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!
    Supporting Member

I wish I lived in your world where Americans aren’t bitter and forgive & forget.

Kemahkeith, cmlmel77 and The Beard like this.
  13. PhiSlammaJamma

The problem too is they were never held accountable. People want accountability. Writers want accountability. They also missed on the apology. So basically, there's no reason in the general mindset to forgive and forget. Altuve can be a good guy. It won't matter. Right or wrong, there are steps that were never taken for resolution. History repeats itself ( rose, Lance, mcgwire, clemens, palmeiro, arod, bonds). All good people until they got tagged and vilified. Our only option now is to win so much that it makes the past transgression unremarkable.

#73 PhiSlammaJamma, Jul 5, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2024
  14. Qan

Qan Member

Non issue. He'll he a first ballot by then.

15. Nick

Nick Member

Most people do. Even in sports.

16. Nick

Nick Member

Biased source. Athletic still in business solely because of that story. That outlet was on its last legs prior.

17. The Beard

The Beard Member

Even As someone who thinks he won’t get in because of the scandal

When I read your post the first thing that pops into my mind is Twins fans don’t care about Correa role now, Yankees fans were ok having Marvin, and on and on

Like the writer said, what will hurt him is being a lifetime Astro unfortunately

18. lnchan

Supporting Member

And ****ing Mookie was on the 2016 and 2018 Red Sox...

And the article says anyone from 2017-2024 is questionable but wth happened after 2017?

19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!
    Supporting Member

1997 vs Utah. Never forget.

Nick likes this.
  20. Nick

Nick Member

That’s great… but most here remember them losing during the Yao era vs that time.