1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What actor/actress has been screwed out of an Oscar that they deserved?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lil Pun, Dec 28, 2001.

1. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

oops.

Was gonna bust chievous minniefield for spelling but he never got to play.

#21 Sonny, Dec 28, 2001
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2001
  2. Gascon

Gascon Member

What actor/actress with any talent hasn't been screwed out of an Oscar?

Personally, I don't think they should place a value on art. Especially a contest, for goodness' sake. Give me a break.

However, some of the more laughable winners that immediately pop to mind are:

Kim Basinger for LA Confidential . Wasn't that the same part she played in The Natural , and just as badly? She beat out Julianne Moore for Boogie Nights.

In the same year, Helen Hunt for As Good As It Gets . She beat out Judy Dench for Mrs. Brown . An absolute crime. Judy was given it the next year as a kind of consolation prize for Shakespeare In Love .

Julia Roberts for Erin Brockovich . Now, I love Julia, but her beating out Ellen Burstyn for Requiem For a Dream was a scandal. Ellen gave one of the best performances I have ever seen in that movie.

But you know, it's a bull**** game anyway. It's not about the art, it's about the money, the popularity, and the publicity. It means nothing. Never did.