1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What about Wood?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Nov 28, 2021.

1. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

Do you need a soft 25-yr. old "best player" with attitude during tank season?

2. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I'm kinda torn on this one, I can see both sides of it, I'm currently learning towards keeping him. I also think some people here are delusional regarding his value. If he was worth "young prospect(s) plus first round pick(s)" then sure, I can see trading him, but I don't think his value is even close to that. To use the warriors, as an example, I don't think they would trade Kuminga (plus salary filler) for Wood straight up, much less attach picks or even other useful players.

3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

This team has enough FRP's and enough 19 year olds.

They'll have at least two picks in each of the next 3 drafts as it is.

I think after this season , assuming you get a top 3 pick and one of Banchero , Chet or Jabari Smith .... its time to consolidate some of those picks into a star via trade.

I've come to the conclusion that there are two Christian Wood's ....

One who plays the 5 against smaller teams and is really good

The other gets punked out by bigger centers - there's not a whole lot of these players but they are the teams you have to beat in the post season - Embid , Jokic , Ayton , Gobert , Vucevic.

A big part of why Silas started Theis up until recently is that Wood didn't want to play the 5 spot - problem is , that's where he has his greatest advantage. But you have to remember that Wood is Jekyll and Hyde

Paying Wood the max when you have Sengun is kinda pointless .... you aren't playing them together.

I'm inclined to use Wood , along with some of those future draft picks we don't have roster spots for to bring in a real superstar .... Be that at the deadline or this offseason depending upon if / when someone shakes loose , that would be my goal , not just stacking up more draft picks.

aaquaa likes this.
  4. RoadWarrior

RoadWarrior Member

Best player on the team.
    Huge mistake to trade him unless the return is off the charts good.

palmsnbananas likes this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

get him outta here

would be a huge mistake to pay this dude big money

6. jacoby

jacoby Member

If Stone has a chance to get Kuminga for Christian Wood and whiffs, it should be a firable offense.

Unfortunately, no Universe exists where the Warriors would present such a trade offer.

7. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Big money? Max contract? Are we really thinking he's worth that, or that anyone is going to pay him that? He's averaging 16/11 with 1 block on 53% ts (below league avg efficiency) and he's not a defensive force. Can't make free throws and not a good passer. Unless he improves dramatically nobody is even considering giving him a max contract.

HakeemOnlyFan, Stephen_A and aaquaa like this.
  8. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

You guys have to have a reality check.
    This is a rebuild season.
    Victories are meaningless.
    We don't need wins this year, Silas does.
    He's sabotaging the rookies.
    Our priority is to develop the young'uns.
    Wood is flawed in some aspects of his game, and I believe in character too.
    the 19-yr. olds are bonding.
    Even though Wood looks the best on this roster, he's merely a good player.
    If the rookies grow into their roles, he will not be missed.
    Trade him.

9. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Christian Wood is a 5. You’d think he could also play the 4, but he’s absolutely at his best as a 5. Unfortunately, so are Theis and Sengun. One of the three needs to go, and Wood by far has the most value. I love the guy when he is used right, but there’s no reason to keep him if you’re going to play him out of position. He ain’t that guy and he never will be. I’d trade him I guess, but I think he’s a much better player than he gets credit for on here sometimes. The return needs to be pretty damn good, or as someone else said, you’d need to be able to dump Wall too.

Crashlanded19 and IvanLCPM like this.
  10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I expect the Rockets to trade him anywhere from
    today to up until the trade deadline.

Good player when healthy. Problem is he can't stay healthy.
    He is good for 48 games a year as a main attraction.

Will help some playoff team get much better.
    Gonna cost that team though. Big!!

fattz and aaquaa like this.
  11. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Seems like we are the ONLY ones that get it! Wood just had 33 and 16 last night, he's 26 yrs old and this is his 2nd full NBA season, so he doesn't have a lot of ware and tare on his body AND all I hear is let's TRADE WOOD.....I just don't get it

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Wood has that AD mentality
    both of them need to be at the 5

Rocket River

13. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I'll admit he's not playing as good as he did last yr but I think it's a culmination of things; KPJ learning to play PG, young team members and poor coaching that has caused slippage in his play but I think they are starting to figure things out.

As far as the contract. If you're the Rockets...you have to pay SOMEBODY, so why not a player who chose your team in FA and who is a young big that is avg a double double?

14. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

he's effectively shooting 39% and the Warriors are on pace to win 73 games again. I think they'd consider a win-now package in exchange for Kuminga, who's not doing anything positive for them right now

cbass, GotGame15, fattz and 2 others like this.
  15. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

So Kuminga is now the mark? Video games has ruined fans GM skills... lol... Like we need another team's project to verbally kill after a bad outing...

Stephen_A likes this.
  16. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Yes he doesn’t have the right spirit and low character as his history shows us ever since his days at UNLV. While talented, he may never reach his ceiling. The only thing that’s stopped him is himself. He probably won’t be moved this year but likely next as it’s his last year. Wood unfortunately isn’t the future. Green and Sengun has ushered in a new era of Rockets basketball.

aaquaa likes this.
  17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

if only he had a coach to advise him in this manner and set him up with the ball in the most opportune positions

18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

would you also pls give me this weeks lotto numbers?

Sean Dr34ms likes this.
  19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

You gotta take the competition into consideration ..... You don't play the Hornets every night.

Its easy when the opposition doesn't play a guy over 6'8".

aaquaa likes this.
  20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member