1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What about Stanley Roberts???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Maryland Terps, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Maryland Terps

Signing Stanley "the Shaq -- before there was a Shaq" Roberts would allow us to trade Cato before his value drops again for say -- Pat Garrity in a package.

Other options w/ a Cato trade:

Etan (the next Brian Grant) Thomas

V. (the next D. Schrempf) Radmonovic

2. UTweezer

UTweezer Member

the last thing the rockets need is a soft perimeter player like Garrity

3. drapg

drapg Member

I was wondering how long until after watching "Sportscenter" someone would ask this...

4. Maryland Terps

The Rockets need a pure 3 point shooter in the worst way. We have nobody to keep the defense honest. Glenn Rice has been a bust -- Rudy doesn't trust Nachbar -- we could use Garrity in the Matt Bullard role.

5. Maryland Terps

Litke: Roberts was Shaq before Shaq

By Jim Litke
    Associated Press

Guys like Latrell Sprewell get second chances all the time.
    All Stanley Roberts wants is one.
    In December, when NBA general managers start scurrying for replacement parts, Roberts wants a chance to prove he's still got game. That should be easy. After all, he was Shaq before Shaq was.
    ''I'm not trying to brag,'' Roberts said, ''but I could go out right now and dunk on most of the NBA.''
    But to get an audition, he'll have to lose weight, finish rehabbing a bad back and shoulder, and pass another half-dozen drug tests. That could prove tougher. Roberts is 32, and until now, he's never appeared in the same sentence with the words ''self-discipline.''
    ''I know I made mistakes,'' he said. ''So has everybody else.''
    By the end of an eight-year NBA career, his name had become synonymous with wasted talent. Four years ago in Houston, teammate Charles Barkley eyed his expanding waistline and said, ''Stanley Roberts could be great if he learns two words -- 'I'm full.'''
    The following year, after just five games with Philadelphia, Roberts became the first player suspended for a positive drug test under the new contract. He got the maximum -- two years.
    ''I'm not putting that on anybody else, but it was the first time I was in serious trouble. Then I got banned overseas, and that really messed me up. I had a deal to play in Turkey for almost a million. It was like somebody cut my legs out from under me.''
    But Roberts managed to slink even lower. Houston police, acting on an informant's tip, searched his car and arrested Roberts on narcotics charges. He agreed to a plea bargain that included a 5-year probation and the chance to clear his name.
    ''That was my low point,'' Roberts said. ''But it's what taught me to grow up.''
    Roberts was raised in South Carolina, poor but pampered because of his size and ability. He arrived at Louisiana State a year ahead of Shaquille O'Neal, just as big -- 7-foot-1 and 300-plus pounds -- and accompanied by even more hype.
    ''Stanley was better, more polished, even stronger,'' said Dale Brown, who coached both players at LSU. ''When Shaquille was a freshman, he pulled me aside and said, 'You don't need to involve me in the offense. I just want to block shots and rebound.' He always deferred to Stanley.''
    Roberts added, ''If we needed two points at the end of a game, the ball went to me. If we needed three, it went to Chris Jackson. Shaq's job was to get it if we missed.''
    Roberts relates this matter-of-factly. Anybody who knows him knows he never brags. His personality flaws take the opposite tack -- too unselfish, too easygoing, too contented.
    ''There's not a devious bone in his body,'' Brown said. ''But there's nothing to switch on, either. Stanley was the toughest guy I ever had to motivate.''
    Brown didn't have the opportunity for long. Roberts bombed academically and left school to play in Spain. A year later, he declared himself eligible for the draft and was selected 23rd by Orlando. When the Magic hit the lottery a year later and chose O'Neal, Roberts' NBA odyssey began.
    Four years with the Clippers followed, during which Roberts got fat, injured and disillusioned -- in no particular order. Then came one season each in Minnesota and Houston. He went from being a featured attraction to the fringe, from a full-time center to a part-timer. He could still dominate a game, but only in brief stretches.
    ''I remember watching him back when he was with the Clippers,'' recalled Carroll Dawson, now the Rockets general manager. ''He played (Hakeem) Olajuwon as good as anybody around.
    ''Then we acquired him in Houston, and the other thing I remember is everybody loved him. Stanley was never in great shape, but we all pulled for him to be. If he was disciplined, you'd take him in a heartbeat.''
    Dawson, though, doesn't need a backup center. He just added 7-5 Yao Ming to his roster after Kelvin Cato filled in admirably last year.
    ''But there's never enough centers to go around,'' Dawson said. ''And maturity comes a little later to some guys. Maybe Stanley has seen the bottom now.''
    Maybe.
    Friends say Roberts is clean, but nearly broke. He works a few hours each day for a Houston energy company and performs community service as part of his probation.
    The NBA preseason is under way, and big men are in demand. Olajuwon and Patrick Ewing are going and gone. Alonzo Mourning is sidelined by medical problems.
    ''And Vlade Divac is getting old,'' Roberts said. ''When teams are trying to talk (Arvidas) Sabonis out of retirement, well ... there's got to be room for me. Other than Shaq, I don't see anybody I can't match up with for 20 minutes a night.
    ''Besides,'' he added, ''after what I've been through the last few years, how much tougher can it be?''

Published in the Athens Banner-Herald on Thursday, October 10, 2002.

6. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Member

You just broke another Clutch rule about starting three threads in a short period of time... come on Terps..... you're killing me here....especially with a thread about a useless ****** like SR....

7. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

Hell no. He's out of shape, hasn't played for a couple years, he was never that good....no matter what ESPN may tell you, and we already have big men.

UTweezer, one of the most important things we need is an excellent perimeter shooter.
    Garrity would be perfect on this team.

8. DavidS

DavidS Member

They just did a story on him on ESPN. He's working out in Houston right now.

9. Maryland Terps

Just a short time ago we all thought Cato was a useless ****** -- the difference here is we would only have to give Roberts the league minimum for his 20 minutes a game -- Cato makes 6.7 mil this year; 7.3 mil 04'; 7.9 mil 05'; 8.6 mil 06'.

TRADE CATO NOW BEFORE ANYONE NOTICES HE MAKES ALL THAT LOOT FOR 4.4 Points per game, 6.5 Rebounds, and 1 block.

10. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Member

I never said Cato was useless, overpriced, but not useless.

If we can get a good player for Cato great, but now you have to think about this. Whoever we trade Cato for has to have a Salary similar to Cato's, that would mean we aren't saving any money...and that would mean we better get a player that we need and that is better than Cato....and I don't know who that might be....

11. Maryland Terps

His name is Pat Garrity. He would have to be packaged w/ a player in the last year of his contract like-- Andrew DeClercq.

12. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Member

I read the previous posts MT, I am not that sleepy....

But I didn't talk about them because they ain't gonna happen. Pat Garrity? .....I just like to keep it real.....I get tired of these fantasy trades...

13. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

Stanley Roberts?:eek:

Cato is an expensive backup for Yao. I think he should be getting some time at the PF spot. How long can we afford to have such an overpriced backup center when we need help in so many other areas?

14. themocitydon

themocitydon Member

everybody wants to deal kelvin cato, but kelvin cato has don his part as backup center. id rather have cato as my backup center then to have jason collier put up worse than mark madsen numbers.

15. Rockets34Legend

Why do we need a punk like Roberts? He's overweight and full of twinkies.

16. Thanos

Thanos Member

Be sure that with his level of play this season, there's a far better deal out there for Kelvin Cato than Pat Garrity.

If we did want him, i would rather trade Cuttino and say, Moochie or Rice, for Mike Miller and Garrity.

Move Posey to the 2, start Miller at the 3, and bring Garrity off the bench to play Matt Bullard's role at the 4.

Stanley Roberts? What's next? Hamilton?

Forget it!

17. Sane

Sane Member

NO WAY I'd trade Cato for Garrity.

Are you kidding me? For the best rebounder/minute in the NBA, I better get something better than Pat Garritty. For THE best backup C in the league, I better do better than Pat Garritty.

I'd much rather get Mike Miller. We could get it done. If we send them Mobley, then they wouldn't have to worry about Grant Hill, because Mobes and T-Mac, backed up by Garrity, can easily play the 2/3 spot for the whole game. Mobes can even play at the 1 since T-Mac does everything anyway.

Only problem is, Boki might turn out to be Mike Miller, lol.

Orlando would DIE for Cato, believe me. With Cato in the middle alongside Kemp, they'd easily be one of the better teams in the East for the rest of the year.

You have to remember, Cato can start for 20 out of 29 NBA teams. You don't give him up for Garrity.

18. GATER

GATER Member

Stanley Roberts has already played for the Rockets under the pseudonym of Thomas "Two Sa'miches" Hamilton. Hamilton is in the NBDL which is where Roberts probably should go.

Cato for Garrity? No thanks. My hunch is that there are much better offers from the EC than this. Mike Miller sounds good to me also and because there is a salary difference, I'd request Steven Hunter in the deal...although I'm reasonably sure the Magic would balk on this part.

mfclark - Garrity for Cato?

19. land_sharks

land_sharks Member

Wow, I missed this story...even though I read the thread title.

Albeit Roberts is not going to deepen the talent pool, but what if he did a cannonball in the deep end? Sorry.

Following trade plays out on RealGM, and has probably had 13,458 iterations, but here goes:

Houston Trades: Cato
    Nachbar ( or Collier and Drew Obligation)

Orlando Trades: Miller
    Armstrong
    Kemp (filler...man that's a lot of filler)

Why Houston does it: Frees up cap space, as DA's contract expires at year end and Cato's goes away entirely. Brings in Miller who can consistenly shoot over the defense, which this team sorely needs. Kemps contract doesn't expire soon enough, but it goes away by the end of the year.

Why Orlando does it: Lands Cato and Nachbar, Cato at a fairly attractive price. Nachbar to develop the void left by the departed Miller. On a sidebar: Doc Rivers loves Swift's athletecism and shot-blocking potential, but landing Cato, provides him a shot blocker. And addiing Nachbar might be appealing to the Magic. They were not sold on Swift, wanted Gooden, who supposedly isn't available from Memphis. Rox could capitalize on a team needing a big man. Man this would be capitalizing in a big way.

Rockets:

Ming/Roberts/Taylor
    EG/Taylor/Tmo
    Miller/TMo
    Posey/Cat
    Francis/Armstrong

That's a NICE team...but even for a homer, CATO likely isn't worth all that.

20. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

Stanley Roberts has already played for the Rockets under the psuedonym "Stanley Roberts".