1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What about SAR?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sane, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Sane

Sane Member

This guy's agent is forcing the Blazers to trade him. His value is lower since he barely played last season, his numbers dipped, and he's disgruntled. They were going to trade him for Kerry Kittle and a throw-in!!

Here's a way we can give the Blazers lots of depth while not totally destroying their cap situation. 2 of the 3 contracts they recieve expire in a year.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Houston trades:

TE
    Lue
    Mo Taylor

Houston Recieves:

Shareef AbdurRahim
    Antonio Daniels
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seattle trades:

Jerome James
    Antonio Daniels

Seattle recieves:

TE
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Portland trades:

SAR

Portland recieves:

Tyronne Lue
    Jerome James
    Maurice Taylor
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Houston does it to get SAR, salary looks great, better team, etc...
    - Seattle does it to clear logjam at C, and drop salary. Instead of waiting a year, these players come off the cap now. They can sign anyone to play some backup PG for them very cheap. Their rebuilding phase has only one more thing: trade Rashard Lewis (we could be in the running for this a year after trade, offering SAR in a sign-n-trade).
    - Portland does it because they need depth moer than anything else. Two of those contracts expire in one year. MoT will be the backup for 2 years, after which he's very tradeable. Lue and James offer good depth.

I'm thinking maybe Houston should send a heavily protected first to Portland in the future? I believe it's very close and any difference in values teams are recieving, you can make up with a barely decent pick.

Thoughts?

2. Sane

Sane Member

Before leebigez comes here and says "I've been saying this all along" I just want to point out that I wouldn't have done this if:

- He wasn't in his final year.
    - Portland were looking for a star player.
    - They didn't take MoT off our hands.
    - We didn't make the T-Mac trade.
    - SAR expected to be a CORE player.
    - The possibility of sign-n-trading him to Seattle for Rashard Lewis didn't exist.

No way I keep him beyond a season. We either let him walk (we didn't give anything up for him anyway), or sign n trade him. No way we sign him long-term for anything NEAR his contract. Maybe for 7-8M a year.

3. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Wow, I certainly wish that would happen...but I'm not sure Seattle does that, and I'm more sure Potland doesn't. His value may have deteriorated, but Portland can get more for SAR than an albatross contract and "depth."

4. Sane

Sane Member

I've thought about it... I'd really like to hear what else Portland could get?

If there was anything available, it would've been done by now. When the process takes this long, clearly the offers are crap.

As for Seattle, there's no reason for them not to do it. We just take these 2 cotnracts off them for free. They know they're not making the playoffs, and they're going to rebuild. James won't play - they have 3 other C's, and Ridnour is the new PG in town.

5. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

Wow...the idea of Antonio Daniels, Tracy McGrady, Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Juwan Howard, and Yao Ming makes me very comfortable. The only thing I would worry about is possible chemistry problems, being that four of the five weren't on our team last year, but I imagine we're going to have that problem anyways now that we kind of gutted our starting five for T-Mac. That'd be beautiful, though.

6. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I don't think we have the assets to trade for SAR. But like I mentioned in another thread, I think he can be a guy that we target for FA next year. He'll be coming off a $70+ million contract and he's never been to the postseason. I think he can be had by a contender for the full MLE. Sure it's a paycut, but it's still about $40 million. That's not chump change.

7. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

SAR contract is in its last year. When it comes off the books portland will have some major cap reilief. Portlands commited to bring in character players and MoT isnt one with his history with drugs. They are also looking to cut their cap room also and unless they get some good offers they wont be trading away any of their expiring contracts in staudamire, van exel, ratliff and SAR, they have 4 expiring contracts all worth 10+ mil.
    They do need depth at the 4, but theyre not going to go out and get a 8million dollar backup

I think everyone here thinks MoT has some good trade value, but he doesnt. With his history of drug violations and highly overpaid contract MoT wont be traded anytime soon. The only thing we can get with MoT is probably another overpaid player.

8. Sane

Sane Member

How much does SAR make?

9. tksense

tksense Member

should be close to the 13-14 mil range next year.
    I think he will have something to prove come this season ! :eek: :eek:

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Don't be surprised to see a SAR for Kittles trade in the near future. Both are in the last year of their contracts and both provide help for each of those teams. Portland needs outside shooting that Kittles can provide and SAR provides inside PF help for NJ in the East.

If we could move Taylor for SAR....do it! :D

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The trade which will not die. (As opposed to Mo/SAR - the trade don't bother to try.)

12. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The rumor is SAR to NJ. Kittles doesn't make enough, but they could work something out . I could see maybe Stodemire for Kidd and SAR for Kittles and R. Rogers and change. That way, NJ moves toward rebuilding with SAR and Jefferson and the lotto picks they got from Kmart; NJ also gets M.Mouse as a shorter contract vs. Kidd's long deal.

I don't see any way either team likes Taylor. He's just going to be really hard to get rid of. Maybe we can swap him and the TE for Croshere and Pollard.

13. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What is the status of SAR's back/knee?For someone who was so smooth and silky inside,he looked liked he'd lost quite a bit in Portland.

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

If we did get SAR I think we would have problems with Howard and SAR playing at the same position. That has been his main problem with Randolph resulting in few minutes.
    I don't see him fitting as a 3.

15. Murfdogg21

Murfdogg21 Member

Some of you guys don't learn. YOU CAN'T TRADE THE TRADE EXCEPTION WITH PLAYER(S)!!!!

That is all.

16. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

The Nets deal is supposedly Kittles AND A. Williams for SAR...not a 1 for 1

17. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Besides that the Trailblazers have been saying that they want guards in return.

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Except that's not quite all. Because this 3-team trade might still be doable with 2 simultaneous transactions. The TE for James and Daniels. Then, the rest of the trade in a separate transaction.

Expiring contracts are worth something if Portland is willing to take on new albatrosses. Teams will pay them in talent (picks or underpaid young studs) if Portland would just trade them SAR for a guy who still has 4 seasons left on his albatross contract. Mo Taylor's isn't as bad as that, but we'd still have to pay them something to make it worth their while. Two bloated contracts and a backup PG won't do it, I doubt. They'd be better off buying SAR's contract out.

19. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He didn't. You need to re-read the post, Mr. trade nix. You can trade the TE for players ( here, it's Jerome James and AD).

JJ+AD > for TE.
    ----------------------------
    You can then make a seperate deal that balances the total transaction (here, Taylor and Lue for SAR - which is a little short on money, but not important).

Taylor + Lue for SAR
    ------------------------------
    There's a little hold up here though.

The third part of the deal is Houston sends James and AD to Portland. Portland has to send something with equal contracts back. That factor is missing from this equation, but you'd expect that the player they send back would be a bad contract - maybe Derek Anderson.

eg : JJ + AD for DA

That would give Houston a good contract (SAR) and a bad contract (DA), in exchange for the TE, Taylor and Lue, with Seattle brokering the deal, in a salary dump.

Practically, not much chance - but mechanically, possible.

20. Sane

Sane Member

Look closely:

It's Mo Taylor's contract
    Lue, their backup PG, expiring contract
    JAMES, backup C (traded Dale Davis), EXPIRING CONTRACT

They get depth in the backcourt (Lue), replacement backup C (James), both of whom have 1 year contracts. I agree that MoT has a big contract, but how bad is it really? Look at the contracts this year, you don't think Mo would have gotten 3yrs/18M? He's making 2M a year more than he should be making. That's 6M.

Is that what you're worried about? Very well. Send our second rounder to Seattle, and ask them to send 3M in cash to Portland. At the same time, send 3M in cash to Portland FROM US.

That's 3M for his first year, 3M for his second, and they trade him before the third.

Portland and SAR are in a bad situation - his agent is threatening to hold him out of training camp.

I KNOW he is worth more, but consider the situation. He looked horrible on the Blazers. His agent has complained publicly. He has complained publicly. He must be moved.

Kittles and Aaron Williams is a good deal. But it has been rumored since the last All Star break. Why hasn't it gone down? As it has always been in the NBA, as the clock ticks, teams will be more and more open to less favorable trades.