1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What about our announcers?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rsx_htown, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm the only Rocket fan that finds Calvin's style annoying. I always prefered muting the sound and listening to the radio guys.

2. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Why not Rudy T?

3. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

This news of Clyde returning is depressing.

So Les does not care about what the fans think? Don't they use focus groups? I am not sure I can fully enjoy this season. My fervor as a fan will certainly suffer especially during home games. This is just ridiculous. WHo made this silly decision to bring Clyde back?

Oh btw, Gene and Folley is not an option because of the time delay between radio and tv. At least I tried that last season and it did not work for me.

4. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I loved Calvin when he did the pbp, but I have to admit that whether fairly or unfairly, the accusations made against him have made me look differently at him ever since. I respect the fact that he was not convicted, but to have your children accuse you of molesting them... We'll obviously never know their motivations for sure, but if I'm being honest I have to say that it troubled me, probably because I have a close friend who suffered sexual abuse from an immediate family member. In any case, it's clear that Les Alexander was never a fan of Calvin's style. I don't think we'll see him back.

I liked Van Chancellor. I guess I can see how some people found his drawl annoying, but I thought it was endearing. He definitely had the best insight of any Rockets color man of recent years.

Bullard started out okay, and he improved a bit each game. He was also very blunt, which was nice. He didn't blow me away, though.

Clyde wasn't good.

5. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

whatever they do i hope its a trio.

Van C is actually a guilty pleasure. I like clyde but he isnt exciting enough...he needs help. Jon Barry i really like but he also needs help to bring excitement. Air bull is good but i think he would be better with someone more out ther.

really any combination of

1) bill

2) van/murphy

3) bull/barry/clyde

would be fun, imo

6. compucomp

compucomp Member

He would probably have plenty of insightful and interesting stuff to say... but we'd hardly be able to understand any of it. Some people are just hard to understand when they talk, Dikembe is one of them.

7. camisgirl

camisgirl Member

You guys, Clyde may not be your cup of tea for announcing but he is an institution in Houston sports and shouldn't be "dropped off" anywhere. Just because he's not playing anymore doesn't mean he deserves to be talked about like that.

8. zong

zong Member

Anyone is better than Van, please just do something with Cooper during the summer, let me watch the Rockets game without :mad: .

9. FriendofEarth

FriendofEarth Contributing Member

Don't give VanC another chance...
    Clyde should just glide his way on out of the broadcast booth...
    Bullard's pee-pee hurts...
    and Cynthia Coop eats plenty of poop.

Please bring in some fresh talent to the broadcast team. For the love of Apollo...

:cool:

10. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

I AGREE BULLARD WOULD ACTAULLY BE A GOOD PLAY BY PLAY BUT HE NEEDS A COLOR GUY NEXT TO HIM. SINCE THAT JOB GOES TO BILL UNTIL HE RETIRES (AND RIGHTFULLY SO), I WOULD LIKE TO SEE BARRY AND VAN CHANCE SIMPLY BECAUSE THEY'RE MORE EXCITING. CLYDE WAS A GREAT PLAYER BUT A LITTLE DULL ON THE COLOR SIDE. BULLARD GETS A PASSING GRADE BUT A LITTLE TOO WONDER BREAD AFTER YEARS OF CALVIN.

11. dreammvp

dreammvp Contributing Member

I like Bill worrell..he seems to bring the hyperness and chaos down to earth...Calvin was crazy but they were a good mix...i wish it could be like that again...NO CLYDE PLEASEEEEEEE

12. Buck Turgidson

Jeff, if you held a high-profile "spokesman" type job with a company, and you were accused - even if later cleared - of molesting your children, and had various sordid details of your personal life made very public, you would not have that job for long. That's just reality.

To me, Calvin was alternately entertaining & annoying, and did provide some genuinely good basketball insight from time to time during breaks in his clown act, but I, for one, don't miss Calvin "Don't call me Dad" Murphy one bit.

On the current front, Drexler's just bad; Bullard's kinda bland. Barry would be nice, maybe next year. Worrell's a pretty good pbp guy for basketball.

13. cuneo77

cuneo77 Contributing Member

i miss murph, i never picked the national tv guys when we are on two different channels,unless it was knws,where you 'd see other things in the background. but with bull or whoever i prefer the tnt version or espn,

that being said,did MARIO ELIE ever land another assistant coach job? he wouldnt be bad.at least have him as a guest. or just bill and jon barry

#53 cuneo77, Oct 3, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2006
  14. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

If they'd just time sync the broadcasts, this would be perfect. But I can't handle Gene telling you what is going to happen in 3-4 seconds on television. This is one of my pet peeves about sports broadcasts.

15. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

we have a winner.

16. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

man i just saw tnt only have 3 rocket games this season (21 times nationall if including 9 times on nba tv which imo isnt national since its not including in most base cable packages) but that blows since tnt always has the best national game presentation (pre-game,half,post, game commentators sans steve kerr) oh well maybe they will pick up some more games during the season and have the playoffs. Does anyone know if espn or tnt have the west conference finals this year?

17. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

I rather have calvin you saw over clyde any day!!! I dont care if he smells... its not like im sitting next to him ;)

18. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

YEAH. JON JON JON JON JON..

19. verse

verse Contributing Member

ok. how's this:

bring back calvin murphy and help clyde develop a microphone allergy!

considering clyde's basketball pedigree (HOF career, title winner, former "coach"), you would think he would have a deeper insight into the deeper machinations of the game, right? unfortunately, he possesses none (or at least is incapable of expressing any). his style is bland, boring, and uninsightful.

even if you have an extreme distaste for calvin antics (which i did at first), you cannot take away the man's knowledge of the game. how many times was calvin able to dissect plays before they even happened? this knowledge extended beyond the rockets playbook. he frequently dissected the opponent's strategies, plays, tendencies, etc. in the middle of the game.

i challege ANYONE to name 3 tangible benefits to having clyde in front of a microphone. how far does sentimentality go??? should we have moses, clyde and sam cassell as our announcers? :rolleyes:

#59 verse, Oct 3, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2006
  20. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

"side note about calvin murphy, i work over in sugar land and he came into my store the other day with about 4 grand kids it looked like, he smelled, bad and looked in terrible shape wearing raggedy clothes and unshaven without a hair cut. so different from the calvin we watched for so many years "

I am glad someone else posted this. I saw him at Best Buy in Sugar Land not long ago and it was the same deal. He smelled like a dumpster. Well, at the time I didn't know it was him, I thought maybe one of the kids had crapped his pants or something, but now that I think back on it I guess it probably was Calvin afterall. It's a really sad deal. He had such an engaging personality, and such a killer wardrobe, I never dreamed that things would turn so bad so quickly for him. Hopefully we are both mistaken and it wasn't him afterall.