1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

What about our announcers?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rsx_htown, Sep 29, 2006.

1. rsx_htown

rsx_htown Contributing Member

our announcers i really dont think i can go thru another year of clyde and bullard.

2. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

Bullards alright. Or maybe it was Clyde was just so damn bad that he made Bullard look like a natural there toward the end of the season. I agree though about Clyde, he GOTSTA go. He's too refined and classy for that gig, or at least he seemed to think so. he shoulda never taken the job.

3. Drift Monkey

Drift Monkey Member

Bring back Calvin Murphy!

4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i read in another thread that van chancellor was coming back with clyde? that wasn't confirmed but i actually don't mind van at all. he's got an obvious knowledge of the game and his quirkiness reminds me a bit of murph, albeit in a different way.

no one will ever ever ever replace calvin but i can live with van chancellor and bullard. clyde on the other hand...

5. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I hate to admit it, but I loved Van as an announcer. For about the first month of the season my buddy and I would make fun of him every time the Rockets announcers were on league pass, but after that...he really grew on me. Maybe it was just how much better the Rockets were playing after the early season...

6. Possum

Possum Member

In the begining Calvin got on my nerves. At the end I really liked him and it was Warrel that bugged th ecrap out of me. I do wish they would bring Murph back. I wonder why Gene Peterson has never been considered? Him and Van Chancelor would make a good team.

7. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I absolutely hated Van Chancellor as an announcer...

until we got Clyde.

Bring back Van, please!

8. lpbman

lpbman Member

You know, I really hated Van at first too... It took a while to get used to his voice, and I think I'd still have trouble not throwing things at the TV when he repeats certain phrases incessantly and at any particular time. But he really grew on me, I found him both likable and insightful. I loved when he'd call the inbounds play at the end of a quarter so I'd know what to watch.
    -
    Clyde just sucks, I wouldn't mind having him on from time to time to tell ol war stories or just see him talk and hang out with the players... but doesn't really add anything to a broadcast.

Calvin... He's pretty good when he's talking basketball, he's entertaining, and I wouldn't mind having him back so much. But I don't like him at all... He might have a sweet and tender side, and be a wonderful person to a lot of people. But I've seen him be a real jerk, and I don't care what reasons anyone can come up with for his actions. I'd hire him as an employee, I'd work for him as a boss... but I'd never have a beer with the man.

9. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

I wonder what Cynthia Cooper is doing......

10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

When they had Van Chan I couldnt stand him but he is not as bad as Clyde. Personally I would not like either Van or Clyde to come back, but clyde deninatly has to go. Bring back Calvin

11. rsx_htown

rsx_htown Contributing Member

what about jon barry

12. 523744

523744 Member

side note about calvin murphy, i work over in sugar land and he came into my store the other day with about 4 grand kids it looked like, he smelled, bad and looked in terrible shape wearing raggedy clothes and unshaven without a hair cut. so different from the calvin we watched for so many years :(

13. napalm

napalm Contributing Member

Bullard actually grew on me as the season progressed last year. I want him to continue as one of our announcers, but for buddha's sake; get rid of Clyde!

I wouldn't mind having Van Chancellor back either.

14. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

What happend to Bill Worrell?

I hated Van at first too but by the end of the season he grew on me and I liked him alot. He ALWAYS knew the plays Gundy drew up and got them right after time-outs I loved it.

A Bill/Van combo for the season would be suitable enough although I do miss Calvin

15. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Nothing. He's still around.

We're just unsure who we'll be seeing next to him all season. The general feeling is that it'll be Drexler again for home games and Bullard again for road games, but they changed the PA announcer so maybe there will be a change at the broadcast table before the season as well. Wouldn't count on it though.

16. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

in Order

Barry
    Murphy
    Bullard

Van

Clyde

17. camisgirl

camisgirl Member

Who better to announce our games then Calvin Murphy and Elvin Hayes or Clyde The Glide?

18. Jet Blast

Jet Blast Contributing Member

Same deal as last year.

"Bill Worrell returns for his 22nd season of calling play-by-play for the Rockets. Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Famer and Rockets legend Clyde Drexler will join Worrell as analyst during home games and all playoff contests, while former Rockets forward Matt Bullard returns to handle the analyst duties for the team’s away games."

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/Rockets_release_TV_schedule-189768-34.html

In a related note, a record number of Rockets fans will visit the emergency room this season due to chronic ear fatigue.

Bring back Calvin!

19. ninjuh

ninjuh Member

Actually, I prefer the Clyde/Bullard platoon scenario. Although I'd be okay with Van as well.

When it was Clavin and Bill, all they did was eat cookies and pat each other on the back. (If Calvin called Bill "my brutha" one more time, I was going to boycott the telecasts altogether.)

Bullard's analysis is good enough to keep you thinking during the game, even if you don't agree with him.

Clyde actually said the Rox needed some "balls-out hustle" on air one time. How can you not love him for that?

Part of the fun watching Van is that you can't understand what the hell he's talking about sometimes? His Mississippi metaphors are pretty endearing.

Ideal scenario? Mute the game on TV and listen to Mean Gene on the radio.

20. blackistan

blackistan Member

We need Calvin bak desperately