1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What about Jeff VanGundy or Mike Fratello

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by man532, Jan 5, 2003.

Tags:
  1. man532

man532 Member

The time is now to replace the coach. Rudy has done an excellent job of getting out of the way and winning 2 titles riding Dream's back.

No honest Rocket fan can say Rudy coached the Team to those 2 titles. It was all Dream and Drexler playing one on one basketball in 95.

The team does NOT hear Rudy anymore and they have tuned him out. Our offensive strategy for easy shots is non existent and we have the 2nd best center in the league.

I know Van Gundy or Fratello can draw up better offensive plays and discipline players for not playing defense or hustling, which has been consistent over the past 3 years.

2. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

Plain and simple, Rudy is better than both of those coaches. If you want a new coach, at least name someone who would actually help us.

Besides, Rudy is doing fine.

3. basketball

basketball Contributing Member

I doubt it if the Rockets will change coach anytime soon. I think they will at least gave Rudy the whole season to get everyone playing together. If the Rockets missed the playoff again then Rudy will be on the hot seat. If there is a chanfge I rather have C. Murphy. I think he had the balance of being tough but also related well with the players.

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I love Rudy T but if we don't make the play-offs then he is definitely on the hot seat.

If this team crash's in the second half of the season and we get worse finishing with a sub .500 record then Rudy T could be out the door.

If we finish .500 or better but miss the play-offs then I think Rudy will be on a very short leash as I think Les believes what he said about the talent on this team last summer. I think Les would certainly give the team and Rudy another year but he would expect some early results I would think.

Play-Offs or better and Rudy T has no worries of loosing his job regardless of how the team plays. I think Les genuinely likes Rudy and will only fire him if he is totally convinced that Rudy can not get the job done.

My personal feeling is that the team has too much talent to finish below .500 this year and Rudy T will keep his job regardless if we make the play-offs or not. If something does happen then I would hate to see Van Gumby come here as he is a cancer to the human race. Mike Fratello on the other hand could teach this team how to play great defense since he was one of the better defensive coach’s back in the day. I don't think either of those would be my choice but certainly Fratello is much a more attractive for coaching the Rockets than Van Gumby.

5. cujo

cujo Member

I like Rudy, but he needs to be a coach now and not one of the guys. A young team needs discipline and Rudy does not like to enforce anything.

6. u851662

u851662 Contributing Member

I would have to agree with you...

7. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

I actually feel that Van Gundy may not be a bad choice. He has that Pat Reily mentality. God knows we could use a tough defense. Van Gundy also had a lot of experience dealing with a star center in New York.

If Rudy doesn't take us to the post season this year, I see nothing wrong with giving Van Gundy a shot.

8. crash5179

Van Gumby is a cancer to all life on this planet. Our race would be so much better if Van Gumby were never borne. The only thing good that I can say about Van Gumby is…O.K. I can say absolutely nothing good about Van Gumby. Van Gumby is a complete waste of air that could go to someone much more deserving.

9. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Why? Why the vitriol? What do you know about Jeff VG that we don't? Explain yourself.

10. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i always thought van gundy seemed to be a pretty damn good coach and stand-up guy. he was obviously dedicated to getting the most out of his players and emphasizing defensive toughness. he stood up for his players (remember him latching onto mournings leg-was it zo?) i have alot more respect for him than most other coaches in this league. and its not all b/c of him, but look how crappy the knicks have been since he left.

that being said, i dont want him to coach the rockets. i want rudy t to stay where he is. im sick and tired of people talking about getting rid of him. rudy is the bomb. i hope he stays here as long as he wants and leaves on his own terms.

all these rudy bashers need to give it a rest and wait till the end of the season. come back and talk IF we dont make the playoffs again. then i might be inclined to listen.

11. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

While a good tactician and excellent assistant, Van Gundy showed me little during his head coaching at NY Knicks. With Cablevision's deep pockets, a carte blanche to trade and get players, they only had better than average results. The Knick's players ran the team when they got Nellie fired, and Patrick
    Ewing backed Van Gundy as head coach.

After Van Gundy became head coach he seemed to defer to the players always.

Dave Checketts - GM of the Knicks- from the Utah Jazz organization traded for Larry Johnson from Charlotte, Chris Childs, Alan Houston from Detroit. Alan Houston is the sole winner out of this bunch. I really thought at the time they would be an Eastern dynasty and battle the Lakers every year as the 2 largest media markets collide. Cablevision would become the big media winner in the NY market.

All the money in the world does not guarantee a winner. The Knicks proved that.

Van Gundy might be excellent at the X's and O's, but he seemed in fear of his life. He did not run or control that team, and did not "dicipline" players.

If the fans want a tactician - fine-- hire him as an assistant.

If we get a new coach - do you want a new GM too??????

Do you realize how far back this will set us?????

Give Rudy a chance to help this team to gel.

12. jh3lau

jh3lau Member

Jeff VanGundy is a better candidate
    He used to have one of the better center in Ewing.
    He 'll help yao in big ways

13. Sane

Sane Member

Van Gundy? No Discipline? If Van Gundy has no discipline, then God knows what Rudy has....

You can't honestly say that Rudy's style of coaching is best for this yng team. Someone more hard-nosed like Van Gundy would take away inconsistency.

If not Pat Riley, then Van Gundy. Those are the best 2 coaches for this team especially. Disciplineand defense, or get off the floor. Simple, effective.

Rudy is more of a veteran's coach. He's not used to TELLING players, he's used to SUGGESTING what to do. Someone has to grab the leash and yank this team back on track.

14. jo mama

rudy t is the best candidate
    He used to have one of the best ever centers in Dream
    Hell help yao in big ways.:cool:

15. crash5179

It's simple, I've met the guy in person in a business situation and he is a prick.

16. jo mama

just cause you found him to be a prick doesnt mean he is a crappy coach. bob knight is the biggest ass of all, but he is a great coach.

17. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

Maybe we should have hired Hubie.
    :D

18. crash5179

As a coach he has not done one single thing to impress me...plus he is a prick. I would rather see the Texans hire Jerry Glanville as coach than to see the Rockets ever hire an incompetent un-classless coach like Van Gumby.

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

WHAT ABOUT IN THE NEXT YEAR OR TWO WHEN THE ROCKETS ARE WINNING BIG. AND EVERYONE IS HAPPY AND YOU WONT HAVE TO READ STUPID THREADS LIKE THESE.

or maybe even this year if rudy t. wins coach of the year.

IM tired OF therads LIKE this ABOUT rudy.

How many times does it take for people to bring up that this is 2nd youngest team in the league. And for people to understand that it takes a least a little time with youth. Even if they are very talented.

All I have to say is give the negative stuff a damn break.

20. Raven

Raven Member

If the Rockets fail to make the playoffs, then I'd support a coaching change. Pat Riley is unhappy in Miami. They are a rebuilding team, and I don't see PR sticking around for that. I'm not sure what his contract situation is, so the Rockets might have to give Miami something in return, but he'd be my choice for replacement. I'd also consider giving Mr Mean Larry Smith a shot. He's been an assistant coach for several years now, but I have no idea how he'd turn out.

Pat Riley - well respected, wins everywhere
    Larry Smith - he's paid his dues, but does he have what it takes
    Calvin Murphy - knows the game, but those suits are horrible

Raven